Does anyone know that these are called?

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
278524_255326811162613_386791_o.jpg

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idk but I'd be milling my black Sands with it!

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that they were use more than 70 years ago in Taiwan. It was for crushing gold ore but it wasn't used by hand instead the people would sit on long wooden benches and roll them with their feet. The old timer(miner)that owns these said that the women usually worked these things. I did find one pic on the internet shows these being used, probably during the Japanese war during the time when Japan controlled Taiwan. This is the only pic that I can find. 458528330_m.jpg

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Thanks winners58, I guess they were multi use :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old timer is building grinder.jpg a room to replicate how they crushed the ore in the "old days"

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're to small to crush ore... Must be why they stopped, no profit. Herb grinders are for herbs, stamp mills or arrastra's were for gold.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do know that they were use more than 70 years ago in Taiwan. It was for crushing gold ore but it wasn't used by hand instead the people would sit on long wooden benches and roll them with their feet. The old timer(miner)that owns these said that the women usually worked these things. I did find one pic on the internet shows these being used, probably during the Japanese war during the time when Japan controlled Taiwan. This is the only pic that I can find. View attachment 1243704

Curious that the grinding pans aren't worn smooth like you would expect if minerals were being milled. I guess they could be old and rusted? I'm not sure how effective these would be. The picture doesn't show any mineral milling but I suppose if you set up enough of these you would eventually get some gold.

I google translated the page where you got the picture and it doesn't say anything about milling gold. It does talk about the miners smuggling gold and being um ...inspected.

Miners stealing gold strange tricks, the most common mode or :censored: plug entrainment. According to the old miners said they are using mochi crude gold paper roll into strips and then inserted into the :censored:. But one can not plug too much, lest because the :censored: of a foreign body, like walking outside the eight will be presented, and it would be caught out. Some miners will dissolve gold dust and mercury or tin together, directly swallowed belly after out, eat fiber rich leek noodles, or eat some of the vegetables dipped in kerosene, you can pull out the gold. As a result, before the sun sets in gold mining companies, gross :censored: pit, we fight over, because, from the :censored: inside picked up numerous cases of gold. Some miners are the stolen gold, shipped out from other small pit, hidden in secret places. At work, and from the original tunnel out of the pit to accept checks. To the middle of the night, the miners and then slipped inside the dark tunnel to steal gold. Former miners living in poverty, tattered clothes, even wearing sandals start work. But smart miners use mend clothes, the gold hidden in the patch clothes; there are people within the gold into straw sandals, smuggling gold out.

However, aspects of the mine inspection is very strict in the tunnel after the miners work day, the entire people have become dark, pit mouth will set up a pool, we all naked freshen; this time, also check the miners have selfless the best time for possession of gold. Was caught stealing gold miners, was inevitably beat him, even to the police station to be locked up.

It would be interesting to know more. This is new to me, perhaps your friend has more information?

Heavy Pans

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to research the area for Chinese miners, some camps had 1000+ men all needing to eat,
these would have been an important part of mining, but would have been used in the camp mess hall.

if you look here under "historic mining photos by state" some have views of Chinese miners.
Mining Artifacts

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Curious that the grinding pans aren't worn smooth like you would expect if minerals were being milled. I guess they could be old and rusted? I'm not sure how effective these would be. The picture doesn't show any mineral milling but I suppose if you set up enough of these you would eventually get some gold.

I google translated the page where you got the picture and it doesn't say anything about milling gold. It does talk about the miners smuggling gold and being um ...inspected.

It would be interesting to know more. This is new to me, perhaps your friend has more information?

Heavy Pans

Sounds like the problems mining firms had in Colorado and other hard rock mines.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do not want to be 'inspected'!

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a more modern day pic. g.jpg

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry guys I should have given more details, (this was my first post on treasurenet). I took these pictures in Taiwan and the old miner(in his 70's)that owns these grinders is Chinese. He grew up in a mining town here in Taiwan(now a ghost town) that was started back in the 1890's. I have met other prospectors here with the same type of grinders. Im not saying these are not herb grinders but from what I am told they were used for a different purpose. I will ask more details on how exactly they were used and report back.

OP
OP
S

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is one of the old mining towns old village.jpg 88013221.jpg ghost town.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread