Old Spoon

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
While prospecting earlier this week in an area inhabited by the 49ers, the chinese, and even some folks during the depression i came across this old looking spoon.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460747299.316935.jpg
It has purple and green color to it. Im just wondering l, how old can it be.. Is it silver?
Im sure this topic takes a better place somewhere on this site but i couldnt find the most suitable place so i just posted on the old trusty prospecting forum..thoughts?

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the back of the handle for the numbers 925 - sterling silver usually has this mark.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll bet the old timers used it to feed their cons in their Miller table. :D

Sounds like a neat story anyway.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be some other marks stamped on the back of the handle that should tell who made it and when.

ratled

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The purple and green sound and look like copper to me. Probabaly silver plate when made.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All I know is I LOVE finding the history during the hunt. Last time out I was digging all kinds of non metal that was mixed in with the miner's camp dump...which pointed me to his cabin. What's not to like during a day like that?

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the Chinese pottery is still washing down the creek.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find -- be careful of the Antiquities Act -- One of the spots I go to in Kern county will give you a ticket for taking an old beer can.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find -- be careful of the Antiquities Act -- One of the spots I go to in Kern county will give you a ticket for taking an old beer can.

So if I let my trash sit for 100 years, it becomes an antique and then nobody can throw it away or move it?

Out exploring a few weeks ago, and I came up a hill below a flat(where my truck was parked).. COVERED in old rusty cans and thick thick old glass.. Must have been an old camp
on that flat, a few hundred yards from several BIG DEEP mines... I took a few pieces of glass, one of which was clear/pink.. Just looked neat... Either way, I don't care how old
it is.. Its still TRASH.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually bobw53.... its 50 years... which makes it a little ridiculous in this young guys eyes. 100 years. Maybe. 50. No. Thats not even someones full LIFE these days. Hell... people are living to 90+ and you want to call 50 years antiques!? They need to update their system :BangHead:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once, I came across some old plates mfg. in England and some unusual food holding 'tins' on a hillside overlooking a 49'ers type river. I left everything there but it was cool to come across. Many years back I found a 4" outlet monitor nozzle in some bushes along with Champagne Bottles that were turning pink/purple from sunlight exposure scattered all over the old mining camp. There are a lot of reminders out there of those who have been there before us, of course if we left those things out there we would be charged for littering and be fined if not jailed but do not dare to touch the old stuff, now! Politics, sigh................63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So if I let my trash sit for 100 years, it becomes an antique and then nobody can throw it away or move it?

Out exploring a few weeks ago, and I came up a hill below a flat(where my truck was parked).. COVERED in old rusty cans and thick thick old glass.. Must have been an old camp
on that flat, a few hundred yards from several BIG DEEP mines... I took a few pieces of glass, one of which was clear/pink.. Just looked neat... Either way, I don't care how old
it is.. Its still TRASH.

"One man's trash, another man's treasure". Now where did you put the ore carts?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread