Are theses dredge tailings or something?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First thing I thought when I saw this on the Columbia River was dredge tailing, but it's actually more of a snaking pattern than the stacked arcs a dredge would make. This area on the river did produce gold. Untitled.png

Note to anyone beginning to read this thread: It was determined that the picture shows the remnants of some sort of gold mining operation. The thread then turns a little off track and there is a debate for several pages. Finally we discuss land status and I try to find out who owns this property.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I've been through that before and it includes this location but doesn't provide any details nor does any other report I've come across. I will most likely be going there today and checking it out.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, it does look like a mine dump/tailings. Could also have to do with highway construction I suppose. Might be worth swinging a detector over if it's open.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are dredge tails . Sumter Ore, Snelling and Folsum Kal are also good examples. I hope you find a big 'un

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went there today, found gold. Mostly very fine but one piece that was quite unexpectedly large for this river, but still relatively tiny. The dirt I panned was from a hole someone had dug, probably with machinery, and it caught my eye because there was some pretty intense iron staining in that material. It was right next to the tailing piles so I guess it's the fringe of the pay they were working. Those piles are definitely tailings but only about 10 ft wide probably, maybe less. I'm fairly certain this wasn't a normal dredge. Still nothing turning up in my research. I will post some pictures I took when I get around to it.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unexpectedly large is good!

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unexpectedly large is good!

True, I just hope I can find enough of it to make it worth working. It's probably the closest place to home I've found gold. Even in my own county! And probably one of the only places in the whole county where there is gold.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Owen, you're over near the palouse country? If so, that was sculpted
by a farm tractor a long time ago, and used for growing hops.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's definitely connected to the gold. Chinaman's Bar is listed as being nearby so I wonder if whoever was reporting didn't know the real location. Some parts of the location descriptions match up, some parts don't. Unfortunately nobody ever said which side of the river which would've helped a lot. Anyway, there's gold there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a Vulcan mine in Stevens County on the records. I wasn't aware of it but I'm glad I am now because it looks like some nice azurite has come out of there! If you are referencing a gold area I'm not familiar with it.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vulcan is down river of the Rock Island Dam on the Columbia, always wanted to test it. Look for the huge bend in the river, there is also a Quarry there.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doest look like they were floating whatever it was ....but it could be a doodlebug with a small floating plant.... a small moving washplant....munchin on one end and dropping little doodle piles out the backside....or a small moving "dryland Dredge.
They would use doodle bugs in areas they couldn't float a big dredge. Is the bedrock shallow?

that would be my guess. If you can figure out the years it was worked you should be able to find a report. It may have a description of the equipment used. I'm not all that familiar with Wa. dredging but, I imagine that sight was worked during the '30's.

Sometimes the report mentions where the company/dredge/plant was previouslly. If you have access to that sight to you can see the tailings there and verify size of the plant. Heck if you knew what they were losing in one place you could have insight on other spots.
The majority of small dredge areas end up getting flattened and regrown pretty quickly. Thats why we see more of the large fields left. I'd say that was a lot of ground for a small machine to work and should have affected the recovery quite a bit.

Once you have a company name you could go to the library local to the digs and find old pictures of it on microfische....sometimes on google if the library is digitizing.
Mining was looked at more positively back then and more pictures were taken than people realize. Hunting them down in archives is fun. And informative:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anything I think you can tell what side of the river to work cosidering it is a known gold holding stretch of the river.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this video was posted before. these ops are on what would be small rivers compared to the Columbia. Shallower bedrock. Narrower canyons but flood plains down where they meet the valley.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went there today, found gold. Mostly very fine but one piece that was quite unexpectedly large for this river, but still relatively tiny. The dirt I panned was from a hole someone had dug, probably with machinery, and it caught my eye because there was some pretty intense iron staining in that material. It was right next to the tailing piles so I guess it's the fringe of the pay they were working. Those piles are definitely tailings but only about 10 ft wide probably, maybe less. I'm fairly certain this wasn't a normal dredge. Still nothing turning up in my research. I will post some pictures I took when I get around to it.

so they are piles of gravels that seem to have been washed and restacked?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread