Idiots! Morons! and other Nitwits

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't get in much, but I had to post this.
I overstay on BLM lands on the south fork of the Yuba, have for almost 7 years.
never been any probs, until this year.
too long a story to go into detail today, but had a fire out a mile from me last week.
woke up at about 7am last tuesday to a column of smoke for the first thing I saw. not something I ever want to see out where I'm living and trying to get some of the shiny stuff.
CalFire showed up fairly fast and a couple hours later it was out.
I've had problems with one particular POS this year, with my gear being grabbed at by him, trash he left me being pointed a finger at for....and
being woke up in the middle of the night sleeping on bedrock by this wizzbrain telling me he got people chasing him...he had to come down the trail, and cross the river at night to get to me.
I figure meth, I hate them tweaker scum.....he rambles on, stays the night a few feet from me, wakes up and leaves the next morning.
what I didn't know is that he left behind a loaded 20 gauge shotgun on the bedrock not 20 feet from where I sleep.
found out next day when some campers walking the bedrock told me about it. I unloaded it and set it where it can't be seen.
I think this nitwit set the fire last week, not deliberately, just because he's senseless.
never been paranoid on the south fork before, but this year has been trying....now the local potheads on the radio station are calling it "a state of emergency"!
just what I need, BLM coming down to move me on.
BTW, the gold has only been so-so..last coupe weeks might've put 8 .dwt in the poke, not what I'm used to, but I can live with it.
Happy Trails Mi Amigos y Amigas

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.
Robert Kennedy

Truthfully I am not surprised in odd encounters in the middle of the woods but what does surprise me is how many people are so eager to get protection or feel a need to be protected.. Commonsense goes a lot further then any bullet and can be much more affective.
I am surprised that you just left the Shotgun that you didn't turn it over to authorities. Maybe I misread. Everyone wants accountability too bad most look to hold everyone else accountable and not themselves. SFY area mostly claimed or Hands and pans..(might be wrong been awhile since I looked at SFY area) I can only assume you didn't report the incident or the weapon because your activity is on the shady side of the law?

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a guy snowmobiling. 25 miles from the nearest road on top of a mountain here's a guy walking with a rifle in his arm and it's not Deer season or rabbit. So now I carry when alone.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can have all the sense in the world, but the other guy may not. Thats why one would carry in these situations. It would be nice to live in a world where everybody had a decent head on there shoulders but thats not the reality so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the ones with common sense and decency protecting themselves from the ones that don't share these values.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.
Robert Kennedy

Truthfully I am not surprised in odd encounters in the middle of the woods but what does surprise me is how many people are so eager to get protection or feel a need to be protected.. Commonsense goes a lot further then any bullet and can be much more affective.
I am surprised that you just left the Shotgun that you didn't turn it over to authorities. Maybe I misread. Everyone wants accountability too bad most look to hold everyone else accountable and not themselves. SFY area mostly claimed or Hands and pans..(might be wrong been awhile since I looked at SFY area) I can only assume you didn't report the incident or the weapon because your activity is on the shady side of the law?

You may be right, but I have to disagree....Not every situation can be "talked out of"...Some people, and people that are flying on some drug, can not be rationalized with.

Another thing, And you may be right, but how can we assume that he's doing something illegal if he didn't report it? There are plenty of things I've never reported for a many reasons...One reason is that you could become a target.Rare, but does and will happen. Another is...What were the cops going to do? Take the gun? Ok, then what? They don't have time in some areas for all the nonsense that goes on. This is why you have the Right protect yourself, whether you feel you need a gun or not.

Anyhow, don't really want to start that debate, Just don't think it's fair to assume "Shady side of the law activity" on the op's part when there is no real evidence of that in this thread?

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back 150 years ago, not really that much time in the big scheme of things, you could easily be shot outright for entering ones camp un announced in the middle of the night.. Things have evolved but the concern and reasons remain the same today. I would assume I might be shot creeping into someones camp armed while they sleep, you would think this is a given but oddly enough guys like the op described are out there and there actions are cause for concern. To have an attitude like "thats just how it is out there, yet you shouldn't need to carry a gun though" is somewhat ignorant imo..

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He wont be back for his shotgun, for sure (he'll forget). You get out off grid and far for your hobby and some %$(& manage to come and disturb. Careful, those meth users have sometime a frickin unpredictable behavior. HH!

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally do not carry because i feel the gun may create more issues than it can solve. I make noise while hiking to scare animals off, I am friendly to those who I see while im in the woods. It has worked well for me so far. Yes theres the highly unlikely chance i can come across someone who wants to kill me for no reason, but the chances are so small its not worth it to me to keep a gun in my house full of children, or accidentally hurt myself, or be a target of theft. I feel that we live in a nation of fear, when we should be really fearing ourselves..

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing an unarmed person does when there is an incident is call somebody with a gun. In Idaho, there is no permit required for concealed carry. No problems. A lot of folks up here have been handling firearms before they started school. It's a tool that we are familiar with.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Manhunt on after volunteer rescue worker shot in California | Fox News

Coincidence I am sure..

Idiots nitwits and Morons for sure....

I assume the shady side of the law because I believe anyone with a shred of human decency would have taken the weapon to the authorities and reported the incident..

You want a gun. get one.. Just be responsible enough to use it .. A gun is like whiskey .. Foolish mans courage!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coincidence I am sure..

I assume the shady side of the law because I believe anyone with a shred of human decency would have taken the weapon to the authorities and reported the incident..

You want a gun. get one.. Just be responsible enough to use it .. A gun is like whiskey .. Foolish mans courage!!!

I'm sorry! You have completely lost me! So, I'll just go with ....You are right! Remember how I mentioned irrational people? That goes the other way too..Carrying is nothing like whiskey. But I'll just say your right, so we can move on.......

I don't understand what's so wrong in the video though? Unless I missed something? I'll watch it again.....

Is there more to all this that I can't get from this thread? I noticed some of this stuff is carrying from other threads and it gets all confusing......I posted in another thread, not knowing and reading a thread later, that was kind of a carry over....

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of if you carry a gun or not you are more likely to get killed in a car wreck or by a doctor than you are by someone with a gun. Statistically there is no evidence that the presence of a law abiding gun owner increases your chance of death..unless you figure in the fact that they are in a car, your boss on a construction sight,and buying your beer and cigarettes for you.
If you hike or camp alone and follow safe firearm handling practices the only real measure of your safety is the exposure to an incident. If you are approached by someone or something that means you harm having a gun could save your life. If you never run into anyone or anything harmful there isn't much else to measure other than the extra weight of your weapon and some ammo. Someone telling you you don't need it or are foolish for feeling inclined because they have never needed it defies logic, as there are a lot of things you never feel you need until you do and don't! Be safe and smart and if you have kids educate them on firearms safety and control access.
If you come across someone by accident who doesn't like you being there or what you saw regardless of a weapon, you better be good with and aware of your body language and words. Talking your way or walking your way out of a situation is always best. Don't let your guard down. People with a leaning towards violence especially people who have been in trouble for it look for weakness. It has more to do with phsycology than anything there is an endorphin rush from being in power in a situation. It is amplified in individuals who have been locked up worse when there is substance abuse and poverty involved. There are too many people out there that have scores to settle and they will get points when they see the opportunity even if it is the first time you've been involved in the game they play out everyday. Knowing these things and being prepared has nothing to do with fear.
For camp perimeter safety don't camp near loud running water and those harbor freight driveway door alerts are awesome 300ft range. Put the volume on low and put the noise maker under your pillow or something to muffle it. It's nice to have heads up and be prepared for a visit without the visitor knowing.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The article i posted because I found it interesting that a man was recently shot on the SFY. And since a shotgun was left for anyone to grab on the SFY recently I found it relevant.. Probaly has nothing to do with the shotgun or the individual who left it.. But who knows?
The video is a sore spot for me.. Lots and lots of people use the rivers and the lands. I loathe people goin out and shooting in public areas.. I have little patience for that.. And personally I don't give a crap if they got a gun or not its what they do with it that concerns me. I hear it time and time again.. I have a gun to protect my rights or protect themselves from crazy people.. More often then not I find that's not even close to the truth. For me I don't feel a need to carry a gun. I don't get scared when I see others with guns.. bears and rattlesnakes don't concern me. Me I prepare for dangers that I actually face. You know Falling.. broken bones.. dehydration You know all the real threats that are more likely to actually kill me.. I know I know not very badass to have a first aid kit and a SPOT device. Not very cool to be CPR certified. But truth is I could care less.. i dont need a gun to be safe. I just need to be prepared for the real dangers I face. I can say that I am more likely to carry a gun when in the city then in the woods.. But to each their own.. Some need a nightlight to sleep others need a gun . Whatever suits you I suppose.. But truthfully in the woods I find that plain ole commonsense will do you better then any freaking gun..

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coincidence I am sure..

Shady side of the law? Like claim jumping, not paying taxes....manicuring weed. Examples of course.
A gun is like whiskey..Foolish mans courage. Hmm. Damn...I carry sometimes more then one gun, a knife or three...and when I drink, I'm less likely to beat someones ass!:laughing7:
And Roxy is nice to have around...

roxy badass (400x300).jpg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shady side of the law? Like claim jumping, not paying taxes....manicuring weed. Examples of course.
A gun is like whiskey..Foolish mans courage. Hmm. Damn...I carry sometimes more then one gun, a knife or three...and when I drink, I'm less likely to beat someones ass!:laughing7:
And Roxy is nice to have around...

View attachment 1346018
And I'd put money on it that your a damn nice guy to be in camp with and would do anything for your friends hope we get the chance to meet in person some day!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all I am just happy to see that this thread is not about me

second, if you find a working 30-30 send it to me

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We need a Northern Cal/Southern Oregon bash!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my pup from a fellow Tnet member. 7 months and 70 lbs Great Pyrenees /Rhodesian. He has big teeth and can leap 40 ft. 20160727_114618.jpg

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of if you carry a gun or not you are more likely to get killed in a car wreck or by a doctor than you are by someone with a gun. Statistically there is no evidence that the presence of a law abiding gun owner increases your chance of death..unless you figure in the fact that they are in a car, your boss on a construction sight,and buying your beer and cigarettes for you.
If you hike or camp alone and follow safe firearm handling practices the only real measure of your safety is the exposure to an incident. If you are approached by someone or something that means you harm having a gun could save your life. If you never run into anyone or anything harmful there isn't much else to measure other than the extra weight of your weapon and some ammo. Someone telling you you don't need it or are foolish for feeling inclined because they have never needed it defies logic, as there are a lot of things you never feel you need until you do and don't! Be safe and smart and if you have kids educate them on firearms safety and control access.
If you come across someone by accident who doesn't like you being there or what you saw regardless of a weapon, you better be good with and aware of your body language and words. Talking your way or walking your way out of a situation is always best. Don't let your guard down. People with a leaning towards violence especially people who have been in trouble for it look for weakness. It has more to do with phsycology than anything there is an endorphin rush from being in power in a situation. It is amplified in individuals who have been locked up worse when there is substance abuse and poverty involved. There are too many people out there that have scores to settle and they will get points when they see the opportunity even if it is the first time you've been involved in the game they play out everyday. Knowing these things and being prepared has nothing to do with fear.
For camp perimeter safety don't camp near loud running water and those harbor freight driveway door alerts are awesome 300ft range. Put the volume on low and put the noise maker under your pillow or something to muffle it. It's nice to have heads up and be prepared for a visit without the visitor knowing.

This is well said..

Victor, If you were to head out to the South Yuba for a few days, with what you posted going on, would you think that it would be a good idea to carry or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread