Idiots! Morons! and other Nitwits

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't get in much, but I had to post this.
I overstay on BLM lands on the south fork of the Yuba, have for almost 7 years.
never been any probs, until this year.
too long a story to go into detail today, but had a fire out a mile from me last week.
woke up at about 7am last tuesday to a column of smoke for the first thing I saw. not something I ever want to see out where I'm living and trying to get some of the shiny stuff.
CalFire showed up fairly fast and a couple hours later it was out.
I've had problems with one particular POS this year, with my gear being grabbed at by him, trash he left me being pointed a finger at for....and
being woke up in the middle of the night sleeping on bedrock by this wizzbrain telling me he got people chasing him...he had to come down the trail, and cross the river at night to get to me.
I figure meth, I hate them tweaker scum.....he rambles on, stays the night a few feet from me, wakes up and leaves the next morning.
what I didn't know is that he left behind a loaded 20 gauge shotgun on the bedrock not 20 feet from where I sleep.
found out next day when some campers walking the bedrock told me about it. I unloaded it and set it where it can't be seen.
I think this nitwit set the fire last week, not deliberately, just because he's senseless.
never been paranoid on the south fork before, but this year has been trying....now the local potheads on the radio station are calling it "a state of emergency"!
just what I need, BLM coming down to move me on.
BTW, the gold has only been so-so..last coupe weeks might've put 8 .dwt in the poke, not what I'm used to, but I can live with it.
Happy Trails Mi Amigos y Amigas

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Victor, If you were to head out to the South Yuba for a few days, with what you posted going on, would you think that it would be a good idea to carry or not?

I would postpone my plans and play on another river Maybe the NFA? hard to say these days.
I do not hold grudge for people who choose to carry. It just my opinion that people have taken gun ownership for granted. I have witnessed too many careless people with guns. And personally I absolutely loathe people using the river as a shooting ground. Its funny not too long ago I ran into a boyscout troop headed down a remote trail camping trip on the river. The scoutmasters wasn't carrying. bears are pretty common in the area among rattlesnakes. I suspect they were prepared for all practical events. But no need for guns.. Most often the only people I see carrying guns in the woods are Old timers ( Goes with the age) and people who just don't look like they even have a clue about the forest lands. But anyway I aint harpin on Gun Owners I just wish it wasn't the first thing everyone goes to settle things. The people I like the best are the people you don't even know have a gun.. but I figure opinions are far and wide in regards to gun ownership.. Gotta love good old Democracy.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was in the scouts growing up and to my knowledge none of the scout masters packed anything we knew about :dontknow: The scout masters were some good ole boys, some old timers that taught us well and chased bears out of our camps yellin with sticks.. One night I woke up to footsteps outside the tent, then the sound of sniffing and heavy breath, then then sound of something brushing up against the tent inches from me. Out of no where I hear the scout master yelling like a mad man and the bear runs off. Turns out one of the kids had a pouch of beef jerky he was trying to hide literally in his sleeping bag as he slept..

Im not too worried about animals but still treat the situation with the respect it deserves. Sure most of the time you should be fine, but get out there deep solo, break your leg and have to crawl miles bleeding and its getting dark.. I would sure like to have something in that situation. A hand gun is a last resort tool how I see it. You don't ever want to have to use it and should do whatever it takes before resorting to it, but when you do need it, it could be the only thing that you save you when something else that you cant control tries to take your life from you for whatever they/it chooses not you.. I tend to want to think I can control my own fate as much as humanly possible, others might not care about this, hoping it will never happen or are too ignorant to believe it can't. They can willingly hand there fate over to the situation but I wont go that easy.

This SY shooter is too bad, I hope they catch him but its scary to think they may not. It wouldn't seem too illogical that the OP could have shared some bedrock with this person. You never know I guess.. Thats why I carry!

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying a gun ain't for everyone. I know a man so oblivious to the obvious- handed him a gun and he pulled the trigger to check if it was loaded. Had to explain to him that ALL guns are loaded, all the time, or should be treated such.

The way I see it, if you think you might need a firearm, you probably should take one, but if you need someone to convince you to take a gun, you probably should not take one.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my pup from a fellow Tnet member. 7 months and 70 lbs Great Pyrenees /Rhodesian.
He has big teeth and can leap 40 ft.

You left off .."...and craps like a cow"..:laughing7:

He's a happy looking boy, for sure. My wife would love to have a dog,
but she wants one of those little lap yappers, and I'm afraid my cat(s) would
kill the noisy little pita just for some peace and quiet.

Here's a portrait of your boy...

20160727_114618-2.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rate of victims of violent crime 2014, 20.1 per 1,000. This is more than high enough for me to be armed at most times...

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5366

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
"In 2014, 1.1% of all persons age 12 or older (3 million persons) experienced at least one violent victimization."

A 1% chance doesn't scare me too much... Plus the data was taken from the entire nation, big cities included. That rate is probably dropped to less-than one percent in rural areas.

BUT -this is America where at least we have the option to choose what we personally feel most comfortable with. I have my take on the situation and i completely respect others who would like the additional peace of mind that a gun may offer. As long as people are responsible and don't get too macho because they have a gun -all good to me.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks once again for that photo magic Dizz!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The firearm is a last resort. When I come across a group if shady malcontents I like to teach them about the nature and origin of human rights. -

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for One people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,... "

:tongue3:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The firearm is a last resort. When I come across a group if shady malcontents I like to teach them about the nature and origin of human rights. -

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for One people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,... "

:tongue3:

My trip to Walmart last night reaffirmed my opinion that many people should not be encouraged to become gun owners.
I'm sure my trip to the county fair tonight will do the same.

That's why I don't encourage just anybody.

I took a CCW class last year and I'd say 3 out of 15 should not have been allowed their permit.
One guy had a finger from each hand over the trigger when asked to remove his finger from the trigger because he was not being safe, he got confused...which finger?
Then there was the lady that covered everybody with her finger on the trigger...

I'm not looking forward to taking the class again.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My trip to Walmart last night reaffirmed my opinion that many people should not be encouraged to become gun owners.

I took a CCW class last year and I'd say 3 out of 15 should not have been allowed their permit.
One guy had a finger from each hand over the trigger when asked to remove his finger from the trigger because he was not being safe, he got confused...which finger?
Then there was the lady that covered everybody with her finger on the trigger...

You are right!!!! My wife and I took the class, she was one of the best shooters when it came down the shooting test. But, should not carry!!!!! She needs a little more "safety" training. We never filed with the county for our permits after the class....I do carry on occasion. And I'm glad she knows how to shoot if she needs to. BUT, doesn't think when it comes to the safety part....Same thing in our class....They are great! But unless you have some background, they are basically money makers and useless...In my opinion.....And I'm a HUGE second Amendment "shall not be infringed" believer!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are lots of negative stereotypes used to reinforce discrimination against the alternative lifestyle choice of practicing constitutionally enumerated rights.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of negative stereotypes used to reinforce discrimination against the alternative lifestyle choice of practicing constitutionally enumerated rights.

There shouldn't even be a CCW......But I guess that's for a different thread!:laughing7: I'm over 18, legal citizen, and not a felon! That is my CCW!! :dontknow: Or should be, I guess I should say..........That permit is a joke! It's a money maker, and really proves nothing....Basically.....Just honest people jumping through hoops to maintain their Right, when criminals and some honest people(for various reasons) don't even follow it.....

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Say what?

Never said they should be denied the ability to exercise their rights.

Just that not everybody should be encouraged to become new firearm owners.

If you really want concealment, don't tell Uncle Sam. They will put you on a list.

I'm positive I'm already on a "list" and so is every other gun owner.
With the massive privacy invasion we are forced to endure, your profile is already compiled and indexed to your SS#, name, address, relatives, acquaintances, ect
If you think you are flying under the radar...think again.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know.

... But I ain't asking permission. That would validate their demand to license, or NOT license, the Natural God-given Right to self-defense as it is practiced today. Forget them.

Tell em put that on thier list. :dontknow:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Me, I live in the Big City of Boston. Here you meet EVERY type of psycho you can think of. I do have a 9mm but I do not carry it unless I'm carrying high $ Valuables. Otherwise I leave it at home. There are only 2 parts of this City I absolutely will carry one in. That's Roxbury and Dorchester. I don't go there for these reasons. Extreme Crime Rate and shootings there are so common the most Folks here do not even blink when they are shown on the News. It's old hat. Yes I am highly trained and I'm a very good shot but I do not carry unless "absolutely" necessary. Yes I find comfort in Ownership.
About 8 months ago a guy kicked in my front door and attacked my family. I heard the door banging. I heard my Sister & kid scream. I responded fully ready. I came out of my room and ran to the front Living Room where they were. In one second I saw the guy hitting my sister. I aimed at and yelled at him to freeze. He looked at me and I told him to put his hands up. I told my sister & kid to get behind me and use my bed phone to call 911. They did. I then told the guy to get on his knees. He did but kept yelling at me. I ignored him. A few seconds later he tried to stand up. I told him I would shoot him but I would not kill him. He looked puzzled. He said"What do you mean??" I told him I would blow out his legs and added "You have 3 legs. Which one do you think I'm going to shoot ??" He knelt back down. The cops came. Arrested him, took my papers and filed my Report. He was charged with B&E and A&B. I Testified. He had a long Record. Now he's doing 5 - 8 years. Good riddance.
I feel good because I stopped this scum from hurting my Family and I protected my Property. I agree there are some who should NEVER own a gun. I'm just glad mine was used in a Proper manner. THAT is what Gun Ownership should be about. Not everyone playing Dirty Harry.
If you don't know what your doing then for God's sake don't buy one. If you do you WILL pay the Penalty for your actions. PERIOD.
PS: Your dang right if you guessed which leg I was going to shoot. Believe me ok. I have no problems with it at all. I'll sleep good tonight. Will you ?? PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker, you are lucky the guy was in a state of mind that you could actually reason with him.

Hopefully your not placing more value on $$ than your life by only packing when you carry valuables?

Granted carrying all the time is difficult to do. Keep em guessing.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi IMAUDIGGER: No, the guy is lucky I could reason with him. I absolutely would have shot him. No problem at all. And yes I would make my shot count to where he will think about his actions for the rest of his life every time he goes the bathroom or has a so called "intimate moment. THAT will be his problem not mine. On carrying, sometimes I do when I take the Family to an Event where there are a lot of people. A few years ago I had an argument with some guy that thought he owned the place and tried to kick me & my family out of the spot he wanted even though we were there for a few hours. He even pushed me. When he did I flashed my piece and told him to back off. He did. He went and told the on duty Officer a BS story. The Officer came and checked things out. A few other people even took our side. The Officer put 2 + 2 together and promptly told the clown too leave the park after he found out the guy had hit me. The people there cheered. We had a very nice night after that. Case closed. If I or my Family are attacked I will shoot. No problem. When carrying I keep a razor sharp eye out for trouble and I'll leave an area if I can. If I can't then I will try to talk my way out of it. If I can't then I will pull it. And YES I "WILL" shoot if need be. I have Boston Police Training, State Police Training & Military Training. I know my weapon well and I know not only how to use it but "WHEN" to use it. I do not believe in killing but I will make you wish I had killed you. The 3rd leg is a very effective target. If someone has a problem with that then that is "their" problem NOT mine. And I promise I will not miss either. I am a good shot ok. I like it that way and I will sleep very soundly if God Forbid I ever actually do have to shoot someone. Thankfully I have NOT had that happen YET. I hope I never do but I will. So the next time your going to shoot someone please don't kill them. Just wound them enough to stop them. Where you aim is your choice ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flashed my piece and told him to back off. He did. He went and told the on duty Officer a BS story.

Around here that would more than likely be considered brandishing. In other words the gov. expects that it stays put until your life is in danger. A jury may not be convinced that a man like yourself couldn't handle another man pushing you in a dispute over a seat. These days they will take the comments from this very discussion (and past discussions) and twist it against you.
However - a man has to do what he feels needs done to stay safe.

Self preservation can be very expensive.
Someone has to pay the attorney to PROVE YOUR INNOCENCE.
Someone has to come up with bail money or sit in jail not earning any money.
Then you have the gamble of a jury.

Common sense has gone out the window.

Not a place I want to be if I can in any way avoid it.

Glad it worked out for you in both instances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread