How is AMRA Spending Your Donations?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mad Marshal, Ive asked you this before, I'll ask again. "What, exactly, have you done to protect your (and other's) right to mine?" no arguments, just example, please. Thank you.

I am active in my community. What more can I say? Am I out Fundraising to pay for my rights? Nope.. I much rather be out exercising them. I can say I am somewhat a pain in the ass in my community.. I participated in a Train Watch not to long ago. Are u aware on how much oil and toxic stuff these trains carry? Are u aware how unprepared the local responders are in the case contamination of some sort goes into the river... And I like the river.. Anyway what do you want? I aint running for office . Now if I were to start a Non profit that would change. I think it goes with the territory.. Don't you..

Amra represents independent miners in their cases how? You guys provide legal council? Volunteer Attorneys? what? Or is the extent of your help is raising funds to pay for attorneys? represent is such a broad word and implies so much . You guys go talk to Agencies for claim owners? Represent them?? What authority does AMRA have to represent..

People will catch on and times are getting tough..

People want to know their money is bein put to some good use.. People also want to know that the people who are making the decisions know what they are doing. And are qualified to accomplish the tasks set forth.. what Qualifications does the AMRA board have? Nothing posted on their website in regards to education and qualifications to accomplish their Goals.. For all I know You could be serving frys at the burger joint and jere is opening doors at Walmart.. Who freaking knows .. !

Seems to me the easy thing to do is accomplish something. Then you can tell us about it..

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
From what I can find on the interweb, Mr. Poe has been a huge backer of MMAC, and PLP. I wonder how tied up the organizations are financially, and what they have spent on educating organizations and individuals OUTSIDE the mining community. I can't find any evidence that these organizations have launched any type of informational or educational programs for local, state, or national politicians, teachers, civic or outdoor sports groups, or anyone outside mining.

Lot's of money spent "organizing miners." How's that working for us? All these groups want to "Fight for your rights," but they don't seem to have a clue as to how to do it. Are there no trained public and corporate relations executives on the boards of these orgs? :dontknow:

Terry there are NO trained public and corporate relations executives that will work their tails off for free! Instead of pointing out what they are doing wrong ,could someone give some good examples of how this should be done correctly? Theres been lots of groups that did try to only fail because of all the wineing of how they did it wrong! that's why im asking if anyone knows the right way. Plus Im not pointing any finger at anyone, we are all in this together! And Im not contesting anything anyone has posted.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Russ, are you still in St. Louis? If so, none of these groups were EVER fighting for YOUR rights. As far as I can tell, anyone outside a couple of Western states has never benefited from anything any of these orgs have done. Well, now that they blew the dredging case in Cali, it's just a matter of time before lawsuits and new state regs affect ALL of us. So I guess PLP, AMRA and MMAC really HAVE screwed us all. Thanks for all the hard work. :skullflag:

Terry , yes Im still in St. Louis ,Missouri ! And unless you've missed it I am also a Proud American Veteran and and still believe that the U.S.Constitution was written for ALL Americans and that DOES include the 1866/1872 Mining laws for ALL Americans NOT just the 11 western states. This is all our fight! Im not trying to turn this into a squabble but it sounds like you were trying to dig on me when I just asked a question for the info! Like you say , Lifes to short! And P.S. I used to travel all over the Country dredgeing , Old age has creeped up on my and slowed me down!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry , yes Im still in St. Louis ,Missouri ! And unless you've missed it I am also a Proud American Veteran and and still believe that the U.S.Constitution was written for ALL Americans and that DOES include the 1866/1872 Mining laws for ALL Americans NOT just the 11 western states. This is all our fight! Im not trying to turn this into a squabble but it sounds like you were trying to dig on me when I just asked a question for the info! Like you say , Lifes to short! And P.S. I used to travel all over the Country dredgeing , Old age has creeped up on my and slowed me down!

Nope, not digging on you. I'm a veteran as well. This has NOTHING to do with the Constitution Russ. My point is outside a handful of court cases for individuals out west, NONE of the organizations have done ANYTHING for the overall mining community as much as they want you to believe. In fact, the Rinehart case has really HURT us all. Shannon Poe is on a popular Internet radio show tonight, and I for one will have some pointed questions for him.

You can back what you believe in, and I can rail against it. That is what both of us served this great Country for - our RIGHT to do so! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry there are NO trained public and corporate relations executives that will work their tails off for free! Instead of pointing out what they are doing wrong ,could someone give some good examples of how this should be done correctly? Theres been lots of groups that did try to only fail because of all the wineing of how they did it wrong! that's why im asking if anyone knows the right way. Plus Im not pointing any finger at anyone, we are all in this together! And Im not contesting anything anyone has posted.

I'm a professional public and corporate relations executive, and I offered Jerry Hobbs my help when I gave him $500.00 at a PLP talk in Stanton, AZ. He said to me, "This is a fight for lawyers, not tale spinners." Rest in peace Jerry.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is Crazy!:occasion14:

I read these threads and it's a bunch of us that have the same interests ripping on each other!:laughing7: Reminds me of my friends back home!

Will someone Define "Fighting for your Rights"? I made a joke earlier to Terry, There was a lot meant in that. Every ones Idea is going to be different on how to handle what's going on? This isn't just with mining! This is going on in all areas of life or our Rights. Everything is twisted so bad that the small guy is having trouble surviving doing ANYTHING, without a book of rules and an attorney. It feels that way at least.

As far as AMRA, If I read the website right, you pay 200 bucks and get to use claims while hanging out with people that have the same interests. Anything they do above that is great! What's 200 bucks? Also reading these threads they are paying for attorneys for a member. That doesn't sound bad, they picked a small miner to back.

I know the small church point was missed, there are tons of small organizations out there that are doing the same types of things, if you don't agree with what they are doing then don't join. If they have they the same interests? Why trash them if you have no real proof of any wrong doing?

We all have the same interests, I don't get what's going on here in the thread. Where's proof of wrong doing. If I lived in that area I would join just on the idea of claim use alone. Doesn't seem like a bad deal!

You don't like the video? Make a better more informed one!

Terry I just read your above post, I get your point actually. But I also have to stick up for people that are doing what they want to! What are they hurting?
If they are hurting the case? Send an attorney! :laughing7: Or the guy to breaks some fingers and legs! Sad to say, sometimes the right person needs paid too.:laughing7: I'm joking!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone here fill me in on Shannon Poe's background? What experience does he have to found or lead a group of Small Miners? What is his "Day Job?" Does he make his living off of AMRA? Does he work at Jack-N-The-Box? Educate me! :skullflag:

Nugget059

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2016
New Tripoli Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you this I just lost all respect for him.I just listen to him on gold prospectors radio show.can't endorse either candidate good luck with that wow

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Don't give money to AMRA, PLP, MMAC, or any other group if you don't want to. If you are a claim holder, do the research and find out what mining district your claim is in. Then find out if there is anyone trying to reestablish your district. My claim is part of the American Camp mining district located northeast of Columbia. I have been in contact with other claim owners in the area in an attempt to reestablish that district. Our problem right now is finding the original bylaws. I don't pay AMRA, MMAC, or PLP. But this is my contribution. Doesn't take a whole lot of time and I may not get me anywhere. But I did notice the Supreme Court made mention of the mining districts in their ruling. I know there will be some naysayers out there. Your entitled to your opinions and I'll leave it at that.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't give money to AMRA, PLP, MMAC, or any other group if you don't want to. If you are a claim holder, do the research and find out what mining district your claim is in. Then find out if there is anyone trying to reestablish your district. My claim is part of the American Camp mining district located northeast of Columbia. I have been in contact with other claim owners in the area in an attempt to reestablish that district. Our problem right now is finding the original bylaws. I don't pay AMRA, MMAC, or PLP. But this is my contribution. Doesn't take a whole lot of time and I may not get me anywhere. But I did notice the Supreme Court made mention of the mining districts in their ruling. I know there will be some naysayers out there. Your entitled to your opinions and I'll leave it at that.

You will find the original mining district bylaws and records at the County Recorders office.

There is no need to "reestablish" a mining district, if there is no existing mining district you can start a new one if you can get a proper majority of claimholders to go along.

This idea of reactivating or reestablishing an old preexisting mining district is nonsense. Most of the old district bylaws wouldn't be legal today anyway. In Arizona virtually all the districts were created to prevent Mexicans and Chinese from mining their claims so whites could take them over. There is some pretty nasty stuff in their bylaws. That stuff don't fly anymore.

Create your own district bylaws that meet your current needs. Establish reasonable boundaries based on a small mined area where the claimholders can meet and establish rules that meet the needs of the type of mining, the deposit and the individual miners. Follow State law for creating a proper taxing district since you will need to fund the district activities to some extent.

Please don't fall for that "gold districts" list that's being passed off as mining districts in California. That's simply an old State survey of where gold was being mined. Some of the "gold district" names are the same as the past mining districts but many aren't. I have pretty much all of the old mining district bylaws in my library and those "gold districts" are not the same as mining districts. Looking for the bylaws of "gold districts" will mostly be a wild goose chase.

Here's the current law about mining districts in California:
3923. This chapter does not in any manner affect or abolish any
mining district or the rules and regulations thereof within the
state.

3924. Whenever any mining district in this state, organized or
created under the laws of the United States, is dissolved, the
officers or custodians of the records of the mining district shall
deposit with the county recorder of the county, in which the district
is located, all records of location notices or other documents
affecting titles to mining claims in the mining district, shown by
the records of the district.

County recorders of the counties shall accept any location notices
and other documents affecting title to mining claims of dissolved
mining districts. Thereafter all notices and documents shall be open
for public inspection.

There will be something similar in the other public land States. Figure out the current legal requirements for forming a United States mining district in your state and follow it to the letter. If you keep it small and relevant a mining district can be quite effective at controlling mining safety, methods and claim requirements in your mining area. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will find the original mining district bylaws and records at the County Recorders office.

There is no need to "reestablish" a mining district, if there is no existing mining district you can start a new one if you can get a proper majority of claimholders to go along.

This idea of reactivating or reestablishing an old preexisting mining district is nonsense. Most of the old district bylaws wouldn't be legal today anyway. In Arizona virtually all the districts were created to prevent Mexicans and Chinese from mining their claims so whites could take them over. There is some pretty nasty stuff in their bylaws. That stuff don't fly anymore.

Create your own district bylaws that meet your current needs. Establish reasonable boundaries based on a small mined area where the claimholders can meet and establish rules that meet the needs of the type of mining, the deposit and the individual miners. Follow State law for creating a proper taxing district since you will need to fund the district activities to some extent.

Please don't fall for that "gold districts" list that's being passed off as mining districts in California. That's simply an old State survey of where gold was being mined. Some of the "gold district" names are the same as the past mining districts but many aren't. I have pretty much all of the old mining district bylaws in my library and those "gold districts" are not the same as mining districts. Looking for the bylaws of "gold districts" will mostly be a wild goose chase.

Here's the current law about mining districts in California:

There will be something similar in the other public land States. Figure out the current legal requirements for forming a United States mining district in your state and follow it to the letter. If you keep it small and relevant a mining district can be quite effective at controlling mining safety, methods and claim requirements in your mining area. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Notice he didn't say anything about giving someone else money to do the work that you are ultimately responsible for doing! This isn't a new concept, it's always been us as claim holders responsiblity. If your not willing to put in the time to be a member of your local district or get personally involved, maybe you shouldn't have a claim. Folks gotta quit looking for the next savior of mining and realize they have to do it themselves, writing a check won't cut it!

The monster in this fight is a multi headed snake that has to be fought from all angles not just one. Terry is 100% correct about changing the worlds perception of mining and educating non miners. Others are 100% correct about districts being our power. The common denominator across all fronts is it takes involvement by everyone, be they a claim holder or a "recreational" prospector. DO SOMETHING!

I stepped away awhile back from the forum pretty much because of this same type of blame game discussion. Heck when I left Shannon had just come back from Idaho and was a hero. Cracks me up how fast the support has shifted. Your only as good as your last..........Right? Anywho when I first started helping out with one of the other alphabet orgs. I was told "It is a thankless job, folks won't participate let alone agree with one another, and money is non-exsistent". That statement is true as the day is long!!! All I can say is- WE ARE OUR WORST EMEMY, NO ONE ELSE -NOT IZZY AND THE SIERRA FUND, THE OTHER ENVIRONMENTALISTS, OR ONE OF OUR OWN PICK AN ACRONYM ORGANIZATIONS, IT IS 100% US AND OUR LACK OF INVOLVEMENT OR WILLINGNESS TO WORK WELL WITH OTHERS!

Is no one paying attention to how the opposition is getting things done? It ain't rocket science, it's participation and commitment. Curious, how many of you claim holders have claims that are going up in commercial resell value? I know mine aren't!!! If your home was losing value you'd do something about it right? What's the difference?

Last edited:
T

Tuolumne

How come everyone says " look into a group before you donate"

Yet when you ask to see thier donation history, write offs, 990 it's forms, then your the bad guy?!?

Then you get Anra board members saying " your free to look it up yourself"! That's very professional

Why don't u make a Amra video on the breakdown of where donations go?
Do u need help putting a PowerPoint together?

Yet only 2014 paperwork is available to look up! Just give us the numbers please, waiting on 2015 and 2016 fundraising and expense data.

There is no post " we received 12k in donations" this month, where is the updates?
How are we suppose to learn about your great group when trying to find out real numbers is like pulling teeth! Most miners don't have a full set or maybe you take gold filled crowns as donation tax write off! Lol

No 20 new members sign up, we now have $$$$ in a account earning ...% and growing

No but we sure do know about all the raffle prizes!
I guess that's most important Facebook updates for them

Is there any mining group that is open about where the money goes?

Cowards hide behind the veil of non profit advocacy and phantom fundraising
Open up and stop trying to hide your "good work"
It's like they think it's to thier advantage to keep the hocus pocus and smoke blowing- where does the money go? Play poker? I'm calling your bluff, the buck stops here- show me the money spent and taken in as gifts and tax free donations

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I listened to Shannon Poe, President and CEO of AMRA, for well over an hour tonight on GPS Radio. The lines were busy trying to call in. There were promises of things in the pipeline for AMRA, but nothing specific. If this org works for small miners, then God Bless. I would like to see more outreach to lawmakers; educators; fishing clubs; Four-Wheeler and Off-road clubs; elementary, high school, and college presentations/lectures; and lastly the print and electronic press.

Right now the entire focus seems to be on "uniting the miners" which sounds great, but preaching to the choir only fattens AMRA coffers and does little to educate the public and the lawmakers and judges deciding how/if we will mine in the future. Making AMRA healthy isn't a bad thing, if you agree with how your donation is used, and you can make it to one of their claims on vacation.

Everyone thinks Mr. Poe is for real, so I think I need to slow my roll, take a breath, and see how this plays for a while. Big Gold to you All. :skullflag:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Can anyone here fill me in on Shannon Poe's background? What experience does he have to found or lead a group of Small Miners? What is his "Day Job?" Does he make his living off of AMRA? Does he work at Jack-N-The-Box? Educate "

Wow !!! you just won't stop picking on this guy....you said he has a radio show....ask him your self/...man to man....instead of spreading negative comments on a public forum about this organization and person.​

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Can anyone here fill me in on Shannon Poe's background? What experience does he have to found or lead a group of Small Miners? What is his "Day Job?" Does he make his living off of AMRA? Does he work at Jack-N-The-Box? Educate "

Wow !!! you just won't stop picking on this guy....you said he has a radio show....ask him your self/...man to man....instead of spreading negative comments on a public forum about this organization and person.​

Slow your roll RH. You need to check yourself and re-read my posts on this thread.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listened to Shannon Poe, President and CEO of AMRA, for well over an hour tonight on GPS Radio. The lines were busy trying to call in. There were promises of things in the pipeline for AMRA, but nothing specific. Everyone thinks Mr. Poe is for real, so I think I need to slow my roll, take a breath, and see how this plays for a while. Big Gold to you All. :skullflag:

So after hearing him speak, you are ready to slow your roll and take a breath... Well that's good because AMRA and Shannon have done a lot more even in the background then many can come close to understanding. At the last WMA meeting in Nevada City, Shannon spoke to all of us miners and once again proved that he is a great speaker. He has been present in many of the court cases as well as been the main speaker for us miners at many of them. He has my support because in my sole opinion, he is the best speaker that we have right now, hands down. He's to the point, easy to listen to and does a great job of publicly speaking for all of us. How much money was given to Brandon at that meeting? If you count both above and beneath the table, it was thousands of dollars that exchanged hands that one night with over $1500.00 just from people who joined AMRA that night. Every $200.00 was given straight to Brandon, so you may not be seeing the big picture. AMRA has supported Brandon and his case against
the STATE of CALIFORNIA!!! Did the state win the case legally? No!!! They lied, cheated, and stole our dredging rights away from the people of California through malicious lies and deceit. But the fact is, we all still fought with Brandon, AMRA, the New 49er's, etc. to keep the state from breaking the law. In the end, were we able to stop California from breaking the law and twisting the truth to get their way? NO!!! But at least we did our best! We have all watched the media turn from being a news reporting agency into a well fed yes man, and only telling the people what they are being payed to tell them. Now a days, the media has nothing to do with actual reporting the facts and telling the truth. You guys want to bash AMRA and everyone else that actually does something to try and help the mining community? So be it! I gave thousands of dollars myself to the people fighting to save dredging in California over the last 15 years and another thousand last year to Brandon's case. Even a couple hundred from joining AMRA that night just to have it added to the rest of the money that I have handed Brandon to help him fight his case. For me, it's easy to see where AMRA has been a huge service and a big help to us even if it was only to push the final outcome out another year. You either fight the fight or bit©h at the people who do, which are you? It's really easy to see who's side Shannon Poe is on. How many thousands of dollars went in to making and editing these AMRA movies alone? Did you see the time charged for editing and producing these movies anywhere in the tax statement you care so much about? And could you have been here for us all, taking Shannon's place and doing a better job?

The proof of what good AMRA has been doing for miners in general is in many places including in these movies for everyone to see below.

And the list goes on... At least Shannon is willing to be in the spotlight and take all of the crap that comes with it, even from the likes of you. And as for the rest of you - You can all be legends in your own minds and continue to troll this site to help further the Sierra Funds Agenda all you want to because if you're not fighting for us, you're fighting against us!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread