A little suction dredge merc recovry article

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little suction dredge merc recovery tid bit

Thought you all might like this

CUTTING-EDGE TECHNOLOGY ALLOWS FOR ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY, COST-EFFECTIVE MERCURY REMEDIATION - Press Release - Digital Journal

"Shell Dredging uses its revolutionary 15-inch jet suction dredge to safely and effectively eliminate mercury and other poisonous contaminants from any water body, ensuring the long-term health of rivers and streams."

ratled

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slikriktn1

Aug 26, 2014
Nesbit,Ms
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Model 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a way to get into areas that do not allow dredging to clean up the newer placer deposits.......hmmmmm we are here to collect the mercury.........yeah right......lol....it is great technology though..don't get me wrong....

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: "cutting edge" "15 inch" "no human contact" "we remove the mercury and return the tailings and no one can even tell we were there" This is such crap to have to read this stuff!!! Thet wiil probably get contracts paid for by tax money. And you bet your butt they won't have to return the gold they recover. Even on public lands where if they don't have a mineral, claim they are legally not allowed to sell the gold they end up with!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I learned young that punching walls is not helpful, and I don't want to replace drywall in the store either!!!

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW I think you are missing the point here. They are long term placer outfit that has branched out to include merc recovery. The are using Suction dredges to do so as this is the most effective and safe way to to do so. They list the tailings are safe from merc. This is basically saying what we all have been saying for years - use the placer miners to suction dredge for merc removal as it is the safest and most environmentally friendly way to do so and still be cost efficient.

My question to the greenies is how can we be so bad but yet be the answer to the problem at hand <--- there is something to bang heads on :BangHead:

ratled

Last edited:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't have a problem with this company trying to sell the green aspect of mining, they are just trying to turn a profit and pave the way for easier permitting (we all know permitting regs are over the top out of control) besides dredging is the most environmentally friendly and efficient method of removing heavy metals from waterways. If the government or environmentalists are going to pay someone to remove heavy metals it might as well be someone that is actually good at it, like a miner,,, otherwise we will end up with another Sierra Fund Lake Combie project,,, and that turned out so well, didn't it?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shouldn't there be open bidding on mercury removal, groups like the sierra fund are incompetent they are not miners!
are NID and the sierra fund anticompetitive?
wouldn't it be something for miners to go in and take away the sierra fund contracts.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GW I think you are missing the point here. They a long term placer outfit that has branched out to include merc recovery. The are using Suction dredges to do so as this is the most effective and safe way to to do so. They list the tailings are safe from merc. This is basically saying what we all have been saying for years - use the placer miners to suction dredge for merc removal as it is the safest and most environmentally friendly way to do so and still be cost efficient.

My question to the greenies is how can we be so bad but yet be the answer to the problem at hand <--- there is something to bang heads on :BangHead:

ratled

It leads to only big boys in the river though if the previous projects were any indication, for example Lake Combie. No small scale miner can afford to create a huge contract with a local govt and go through all the hoops and studies. Then it seems you might need contacts in local government if combie is a precedent. I don't remember seeing an open bidding process or much transparency on that deal.

If they really wanted Mercury out of the river they would allow small dredgers back in the water the science and the videos prove that. Why should small scale miners have to rebrand as Mercury cleanup when they already remove Mercury and lead from the water. It's almost like admitting dredging is bad, suction dredge gold mining is bad and the only solution is these huge poorly designed cutter dredges under contracts like combie.

Ironic full disclosure:
I owned the domain name Eco-Prospector.com for a few years for a documentary about gold mining I wanted to make. Every time I looked at the site/domain name it made me cringe more every time. Recently I decided I couldn't use the name in good conscience anymore because I felt like the name was an attempt at rebranding already safe mining so I felt like I was promoting a false narrative and in a strange way selling out using that name.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It leads to only big boys in the river though if the previous projects were any indication, for example Lake Combie. No small scale miner can afford to create a huge contract with a local govt and go through all the hoops and studies. Then it seems you might need contacts in local government if combie is a precedent. I don't remember seeing an open bidding process or much transparency on that deal.

If they really wanted Mercury out of the river they would allow small dredgers back in the water the science and the videos prove that. Why should small scale miners have to rebrand as Mercury cleanup when they already remove Mercury and lead from the water. It's almost like admitting dredging is bad, suction dredge gold mining is bad and the only solution is these huge poorly designed cutter dredges under contracts like combie.

Ironic full disclosure:
I owned the domain name Eco-Prospector.com for a few years for a documentary about gold mining I wanted to make. Every time I looked at the site/domain name it made me cringe more every time. Recently I decided I couldn't use the name in good conscience anymore because I felt like the name was an attempt at rebranding already safe mining so I felt like I was promoting a false narrative and in a strange way selling out using that name.

tripple like if i could and the fourth for Mr.Emerson.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a question for all of you to consider.....

Let's say that an individual happens to have a claim in an area that is well known for Mercury contamination. This area is then chosen for remediation and this big company comes in after winning a contract from our government to remove the offending Mercury. Now since the area is already claimed by an individual, wouldn't the big company be required to turn over all minerals removed from within the boundaries of that claim? Mercury is also a valuable mineral. Granted, it doesn't have the value of gold, but it is still a marketable mineral. Since the claim holder has exclusive rights to ALL valuable minerals on his claim, for the big company to not turn them over to the rightful owner would be nothing short of theft. Agree or disagree?

So... If the clam holder is given the minerals that are extracted from his claim by the big company to do with as he/she sees fit, this sounds like a win/win situation for everyone. Right? Somehow I don't think that it would work out to the benefit of the claim holder since in all likelihood, the government would do everything in it's power to invalidate his/her claim before the work began.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the first times I got to see a trommel and equipment normally used on a small gold mining operation was in Ohio....The owner of the equipment was doing lead clean up. Since ohio doesn't have much gold in that area, or....really any area, he did find some flakes(dust)!! Along with 55 gallon drums full of lead he took out of the ground.

I always thought would be a slick deal!!! Get paid to play in the dirt! They had to pay well!! He came from the other side of the country with all that equipment.

What I'm getting at is...Some of you guys might be on to something? (conspiracy time) Something being setup for a larger company to profit and get around some things later down the road? Who knows! But I wouldn't throw the idea out!:laughing7:

Rename it, reword it, then you can do the exact same thing but under a different set of rules!:dontknow:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me I've thought about it Nitric! Long and hard. Once I learned that I'd have to put up with regular visits from just about every governmental alphabet agency I decided against taking it further. When I was a communications contractor I did more than a few contracts for the Navy, Air Force, DEA, INS etc etc etc. I never want to have to go through those kinds of hassles again!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I've thought about it Nitric! Long and hard. Once I learned that I'd have to put up with regular visits from just about every governmental alphabet agency I decided against taking it further. When I was a communications contractor I did more than a few contracts for the Navy, Air Force, DEA, INS etc etc etc. I never want to have to go through those kinds of hassles again!

Ya.....I often wonder about some "Gravel"," aggregate plants"! OOOps the byproduct was Gold!:laughing7: Kind of interesting that some fall right in what looks like is a possible area......Maybe just me over thinking too!:dontknow:

I would bet!! It has happened! Just knowing how other things work in life!

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
"Our dredge digs down to the bedrock. We dig (the mercury) out, extract the heavy materials,

I really don't think so....not with out moving big rocks out of the way....a cutter head only churns material up....cant get to all the different contours of bedrock......LIKE WE DO!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every dredge ever made with a flaredjet---blaster nozzle--over/under classification IS a best possible technology in mercury removal and this bs is just a hoax. BAN dredgers so econutz can profit from this DREDGING SCAM. BS at it's best-John

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a question for all of you to consider.....

Let's say that an individual happens to have a claim in an area that is well known for Mercury contamination. This area is then chosen for remediation and this big company comes in after winning a contract from our government to remove the offending Mercury. Now since the area is already claimed by an individual, wouldn't the big company be required to turn over all minerals removed from within the boundaries of that claim? Mercury is also a valuable mineral. Granted, it doesn't have the value of gold, but it is still a marketable mineral. Since the claim holder has exclusive rights to ALL valuable minerals on his claim, for the big company to not turn them over to the rightful owner would be nothing short of theft. Agree or disagree?

So... If the clam holder is given the minerals that are extracted from his claim by the big company to do with as he/she sees fit, this sounds like a win/win situation for everyone. Right? Somehow I don't think that it would work out to the benefit of the claim holder since in all likelihood, the government would do everything in it's power to invalidate his/her claim before the work began.

No one can remove minerals from someone else's claim without permission including any gov. agency, that would be claim jumping. A lease or contract could be arraigned but the terms would be completely up to the claim owner.

The Lake Combie project was on Nevada Irrigation District (NID) controlled land and they were the ones that initiated, controlled, arraigned, financed and issued the contracts for it. Of course they hired "consultants" (The Sierra Fund) and many other contractors including an aggregate company who all made out very well. NID secured grant money that came from me and you the tax payers to finance all of this.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No one can remove minerals from someone else's claim without permission including any gov. agency, that would be claim jumping. A lease or contract could be arraigned but the terms would be completely up to the claim owner.

The Lake Combie project was on Nevada Irrigation District (NID) controlled land and they were the ones that initiated, controlled, arraigned, financed and issued the contracts for it. Of course they hired "consultants" (The Sierra Fund) and many other contractors including an aggregate company who all made out very well. NID secured grant money that came from me and you the tax payers to finance all of this.

That's the rub Jere. If a claim is not perfected and the owner can't PROVE the value of the claim then the government can snatch it back for many different reasons and not have to give the owner one red cent. This is why it's so important for claim owners to take the time to do extensive testing and prove the value of their claim(s). In this day and age with so many different government agencies running amok it only makes sense to cover ones arse in all possible ways.

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the rub Jere. If a claim is not perfected and the owner can't PROVE the value of the claim then the government can snatch it back for many different reasons and not have to give the owner one red cent. This is why it's so important for claim owners to take the time to do extensive testing and prove the value of their claim(s). In this day and age with so many different government agencies running amok it only makes sense to cover ones arse in all possible ways.

100% correct observation, most claim owners do not do what is necessary to prove the validity of there claim and legally record it. Thankfully the BLM is not in the habit of doing Claim Validity Tests unless there is some kind trigger event like if the area is "withdrawn from mineral entry" or a legal battle. IMHO this is why there have not been any "takings" suits filed against the state with this dredging ban going on for so long. That would be a trigger event that would put your claim on the chopping block for a Validity Test. If you cant legally prove the worth of your claim there was no "taking". So few claim owners have legally proven there claims that virtually all of the cases would be lost.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya.....I often wonder about some "Gravel"," aggregate plants"! OOOps the byproduct was Gold!:laughing7: Kind of interesting that some fall right in what looks like is a possible area......Maybe just me over thinking too!:dontknow:

I would bet!! It has happened! Just knowing how other things work in life!

I know of a gravel plant parked right on top of Yuba tertiary gravels. Bet your nuggets they get gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread