In case anyone is interested...

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not really that interested. Why should I be interested. Bring all documents pertaining to what? Mining districts.? Looks and smells like a waste of time.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty, thank you for posting this notice, wish I could make it! Be interesting to hear what is discussed and what comes of the meeting.............63bkpkr

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to try and be nice here, but......

Not really that interested. Why should I be interested. Bring all documents pertaining to what? Mining districts.? Looks and smells like a waste of time.

Head... meet colorectal canal.

EXACTLY how do you think we got to where we are today? Ever wonder how the NRA got to the position it is in today? Maybe, just maybe, if enough small scale miners got together and stuck to their guns, even after a few loses, we would have the power to influence things just like our dear eco freak friends do.

T

Tuolumne

There are a hundred mining districts in tuolumne county, and 0 have got thier info together. No one on this board will ever figure that out let alone the hundreds of other districts in my imediate area. I'm still waiting for my tuolumne county invitation to a meeting. Considering the importance of the southern mines you would think at least Sonora or Columbia would have some meetings..... How about the owners of the 5 star and Santa Maria or Crocker quartz mine PM me so we can start our own meeting..

I'm still wondering, if the mining districts had all this good clout, why did they default and fail in the first place? We want to revive past failure?

If it didn't work out in the past are we trying to bring back zombie mining districts that never worked in first place? I read the mining journal and have yet to be won over by the crappy "mining districts really work" articles.....

Environs get together and generate millions from endowment and trust donations
Miners get together and ask each other to foot the bill with lure of raffel prizes.
NRA had mega donations just like environs.

Miners advocacy groups are not like NRA......

If gold goes to $5,000 an ounce only then will we see revival of small miners rights.....those weekend recreational types will now be able to profit from extraction....

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything was shut down due to WW2
mining districts would be good for federal coordination and getting an MOU for the area of that mining district
I don't see how a mining district would displace state law, doesn't work that way.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll put my answers to your questions in red italics

There are a hundred mining districts in tuolumne county, and 0 have got thier info together. No one on this board will ever figure that out let alone the hundreds of other districts in my imediate area. I'm still waiting for my tuolumne county invitation to a meeting. Considering the importance of the southern mines you would think at least Sonora or Columbia would have some meetings..... How about the owners of the 5 star and Santa Maria or Crocker quartz mine PM me so we can start our own meeting..

Why don't you lead the way and get it started instead of waiting for someone else to pick up the reins?

I'm still wondering, if the mining districts had all this good clout, why did they default and fail in the first place? We want to revive past failure?

As winners58 said most were shut down during WWII when the men were needed to fight the war, work in wartime production, or mine for the needed wartime metals. Without manpower most of the mines shutdown and never reopened

If it didn't work out in the past are we trying to bring back zombie mining districts that never worked in first place? I read the mining journal and have yet to be won over by the crappy "mining districts really work" articles.....

Why bring them back? Umm, let's see. During WWII, gold average $33.00 an ounce. What is it now? Around $1300 an ounce. What wasn't profitable then could very well be damn profitable now.

Environs get together and generate millions from endowment and trust donations
Miners get together and ask each other to foot the bill with lure of raffel prizes.
NRA had mega donations just like environs.

Get a group together and approach some of the producers of smaller mining equipment. Who would those companies support? A big miner who buys a piece of equipment every couple of years or a group a small miners who buy a lot of smaller equipment every couple of years.

Miners advocacy groups are not like NRA......

Says who? You? A "mining advocacy group would basically get paid, just like the NRA reps, to go to DC and fight for our rights. That is what lobbyists do and what donations are for. It basically works like this, if they agree to fight for miner's rights, they get a donation to their reelection funds. Just like what the NRA does.

If gold goes to $5,000 an ounce only then will we see revival of small miners rights.....those weekend recreational types will now be able to profit from extraction....

If gold hits $5000 an ounce, the last thing I will be worried about is a revival of small miner's because at that point we will have descended into something that none of us want to see.

Ok now on to the good stuff. Since you want to use the term "recreational" miner then I will use certain terms. I AM A REAL MINER. I go to work every day and do my part to turn mountains into dust so we can extract what is in it.

Now with that being said I am privy to a lot of information that most don't see. VERY FEW world class deposits are being discovered anymore. And when they are, there is more often than not a backlash from the communities near it that don't want it. Take a good look at what is going on at Pebble Beach. THE LARGEST concentration of copper and gold ever found and it will most likely never be mined because of environmental impacts no matter what the benefits are.

Now for the record, I work in Morenci, Arizona. And we will be playing out eventually. All because the big mines play out doesn't mean the demand for metals will go away. The demand will still be there so we either mine the smaller deposits or we wither and die because of dependency on "less than friendly" governments to fill our demand.

Now, NONE of the Big Boys are going to spend millions upon millions of dollars to set up a mine that will play out in a few years at their mining rates. We currently move about a million tons of ore a day so the smaller deposits would only last a few days at best. No one is going to invest any amount of money for that.

In comes the small guy who may take 10 years to move that amount of material. Granted, it will take a lot of small mines to equal the production needed and none of them have the money to set up a large scale processing unit. So in comes the "mining district" to set up a regional, state of the art processing unit. All the miner's in the district share the cost of the set up and operation and all profit from it.

This isn't hard to figure out, why do people keep making it that way?

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am very skeptical of how many notices for Mining Districts have been popping up in California. I do not like the idea of MMAC and how they are going about setting up mining districts so they can represent those districts. Now in regards to the first post. I have been in Contact with Chris and he assures me that this action alone without influence and in the interests of his mining claims and other claim owners he knows . Now I personally think this is to broad of an area to even consider to hope for any real tangible results. I suggested one district at a time and it must be done by the individuals of that district not puppeted.. I know many of the property owners and claim holders in my mining district and there is many I do not know. Getting just the individuals in a lone mining district is a task in itself but not impossible. But putting out a general notice for 3 counties of mining districts in the hope of organizing those districts is a waste of time and not a practical goal.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll agree with you on the one thing at a time. And yes it is a great deal of work to get something like this going.

I know better than most how protective miners can be about their claims. No one wants to go traipsing around and possibly getting a gun shoved in their face by a miner when they are trying to help. But unfortunately, almost all decisions about land use and land planning are political these days and nothing gets a politicians attention more than a large voting block telling them to sod off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread