Crossing the boarder, prospecting in Ontario?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I did a quick search and didn't find any threads on this topic, so I thought I would ask: has anyone taken a road trip from the US and gone prospecting across the border in Canada, in Ontario specifically? Isn't that where most of our glacial gold in the US Midwest and even over in New England came from?

My motivation for asking: I live in New Jersey, so I have to take a road trip to find any gold. I've traveled to New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Virginia and North Carolina along the East Coast. I'm just wondering if I should visit the source of the glacial gold deposits - Ontario. I hear it's beautiful up there, and I'm always up for a camping trip.

I thought I read somewhere that you need some form of license to prospect in Canada; maybe that's a factor.

Anyway, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

- Brian

Upvote 0

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uggghhh, Canadian Customs give me anxiety... I have traveled all over the world and Canadian Customs is by far the most intimidating and unfriendly group of customs agents I have ever dealt with. Consistently! I don't know what the requirements are for mining [Edit: looks like Clay's got it!]. Have your complete itinerary ready to hand over including where you are staying, reservations and phone number of where you are staying, your occupation, marital status, are you the registered owner of the vehicle, on and on, etc.. They will probably want to know details about your prospecting/mining, what you intend to do with your gold, is it business, if so do you have a work visa, etc.. Just make sure you figure out the mining laws as a US resident, have all your detailed info ready to go and and expect some trick questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll certainly read through the Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum website (you mean there's another whole forum that I can be browsing and doing research on?!? Awesome!).

I did find a few YouTube videos of people panning in Ontario, and they weren't finding much (the gold in NH and VA looks much better), so maybe a road trip next year isn't worth it. And one research article mentioned that the gold in Ontario is hard rock, and it was that hard rock that was ground up by the glaciers and deposited in the US as placer gold. That would explain why placer mining doesn't seem very common in Ontario.

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone else has any experience with actually panning, sluicing or dredging up in Ontario I'd love to hear about the experience.

- Brian

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive heard its a hassel to get the permits and so on.They will just give you the run around.I know some guys that had some claims. And they were taken away by the government. I think theres gold there but it is buryed very deep. By the glaciers. I think Maine would be a better choice. And the Maine Prospectors association has outings. You could learn your way around. There free to everyone . Just goggle them to get to there website. They are a great group and willing to help.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some guy's mining in Maine they're going deep as well for the big stuff. And about 10 miles in the middle of nowhere.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe theres one good area in Ontario.But its locked up by a big mining company. Other then that the mountain streams are ok.The rest of the gold is like 30 -50 ft deep. But would cost to much to get out.And its just over the border.Maine is like N.H for gold but if you get off the beaten path. Where few people go it can be real good. And like N.H few people talk about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions