cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stepped in quicksand yesterday. But fortunately I had one hand on a big fence post. I don't think it was very deep but the front tip of my right foot went in about 4" before i realized it. It was mucky pulling it out and my foot never got wet. If you look at the 2nd photo I was walking over to a guy working his gold cube. We had a good chat while my wife patiently waited.

This is at a county beach about 15 miles south of where I am temp staying. (Pacific ocean in No CA)

This guy was just feeding it straight beach sand (real mucky with lots of black sand and (according to the guy) Beryllium or Palladium) He claims he is getting 1.5oz AU every couple of days.

This was all about one hour after high tide. All the water is salt water. On the 1st photo is the parks parking lot. The sand covered the barriers and flooded the parking lot with up to 6" sand in some spots. This is on a county road and there are signs that warn waves could come in and cover the road at high tide.

Attachments

• 20161203_150455.jpg
    20161203_150455.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 20161203_143741.jpg
    20161203_143741.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look up the old claims. Many of the historical beach deposits , in Oregon at least, where not productive. But hey. Wouldn''t that be something if it was a new strike? :occasion14:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait.... You said Orick further north. ^^^ Crescent city is 42 miles from Orick..... That spot must be around big lagoon.

It is a bit confusing. We bought a place for our final years (just retired) in Crescent City. But, it is being built right now and we probably will not be able to move in till end of January. We needed a place to stay for three months and found a place in CC, moved in and three days later those A$$ h#%^&#*s raised our rent 80%. They thought they had us locked in. We used airbnb. Two days later I found a great place in Eureka and we moved. It is 90 miles south of CC. We go to CC every two weeks to see the property, get the mail and pull lots of weeds.

So Orick is north of us, right now.

P.S. airbnb refunded every $$ we deserved and I left a scathing (but honest) review. No one will rent again if they read my review.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super high tides and storms coming in from the northwest bring in the gold from offshore deposits
each beach is different though, when I was a kid going to Eureka to my uncles my dad would point out a big
sand cliff and pond as the place they mined 100,000 Oz of gold from...

I hope you were a kid just recently and remember where that cliff and pond was. At today's spot we are talking $11,675,000
I would like to take a hike with a pan.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a bit confusing. We bought a place for our final years (just retired) in Crescent City. But, it is being built right now and we probably will not be able to move in till end of January. We needed a place to stay for three months and found a place in CC, moved in and three days later those A$$ h#%^&#*s raised our rent 80%. They thought they had us locked in. We used airbnb. Two days later I found a great place in Eureka and we moved. It is 90 miles south of CC. We go to CC every two weeks to see the property, get the mail and pull lots of weeds.

So Orick is north of us, right now.

P.S. airbnb refunded every $$ we deserved and I left a scathing (but honest) review. No one will rent again if they read my review.

That'd be like a cop writing you a speeding ticket and, by the time you got to court, you were facing manslaughter. :evil5:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up the old claims. Many of the historical beach deposits , in Oregon at least, where not productive. But hey. Wouldn''t that be something if it was a new strike? :occasion14:

The problem with beach deposits is they can change dramatically with each tide or storm..... Whiskey run was extremely rich .... then a storm hit and overnight it was all gone.......

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1.5 .ozt in a few days? bwahahaha...
I call these guys "Goldfish"...the "BS" don't stand for black sand.
one guy who I've known for 4 years tells me his tales. the last one was 3.5 .ozt in a week on the S. Yuba, with hand tools and a sluice. then he asked me for a cigarette......
ya hear it all if you spend much time out there.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
OP didn't mention oz/ton, but rather that this other person claimed he could get 1.5 oz every couple of days. Still sounds a bit dubious, but then if the area hasn't been worked for decades, maybe there's something to it. Is a bit far for me to go check out. However, the OP pics sure do show a lot of material being moved around by Mother Nature!! ...Is it really that difficult to believe that the tides could move 1.5 oz of gold here or there? :dontknow:

Not trying to say how it is, cause how would I know!! But rather, could this be plausible??

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is possible and they are doing that with a gold cube I could double that production with my equipment....... I just might have to take a little trip.
The problem is however.... it's commiefornia and I have NOT been able to find didley on beach mining regs and that could make it all a moot point..

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. it's commiefornia and I have NOT been able to find didley on beach mining regs and that could make it all a moot point..

Hey, I represent that ! ;)

The rules are so confusing, lots of court cases going on too. I one is gearing up for the U.S. supreme court on dredging:
Challenge to California ban on dredging for gold headed to U.S. Supreme Court | The Sacramento Bee

I must admit I am a tree hugger. I love trees! After cutting them down they make paper, lumber, boats, homes and many other very useful items. They are planted just for that purpose and when harvested the crop is replanted, just like corn or wheat. I have never seen any protests when the farmers are harvesting their wheat or cotton.

I am also a proud PETA member "People who Eat Tasty Animals"

I guess I am a pretty rare breed in this state even if I was born in Hollywierd.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP didn't mention oz/ton, but rather that this other person claimed he could get 1.5 oz every couple of days. Still sounds a bit dubious, but then if the area hasn't been worked for decades, maybe there's something to it. Is a bit far for me to go check out. However, the OP pics sure do show a lot of material being moved around by Mother Nature!! ...Is it really that difficult to believe that the tides could move 1.5 oz of gold here or there? :dontknow:

Not trying to say how it is, cause how would I know!! But rather, could this be plausible??

Those waves and tides can move a helluva lot of material! Even on comparatively little Lake Superior, the waterline mark can change 100' in a month. When those waves can move 8" dia rocks easily, think of how fast they could move flour gold.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that must have been around the time the boss hollered...WHISKEY RUN !!! oops. Tried to quote #26, I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't the beach gold also (Gold beach for example) come from the rivers?

it was a rainy day today so I went to the library. found a book on gold deposits in every county in CA. here are some notes about where I will be living.

There are black sand deposits on the beaches south of CC (gold and platinum)
beginning in 1850's small scale mining of the sands.
1890s to 1914 large scale but unsccessful.
gold bearing black sands are deposited on shore by waves and currents probably from the Smith river to the north and the Klamath river from the south.

total AU output 40,000 ounces (book was printed around 1980)

Believe me there is a lot of black sand in many places. I will be testing it after I get settled.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it was a rainy day today so I went to the library. found a book on gold deposits in every county in CA. here are some notes about where I will be living.

There are black sand deposits on the beaches south of CC (gold and platinum)
beginning in 1850's small scale mining of the sands.
1890s to 1914 large scale but unsccessful.
gold bearing black sands are deposited on shore by waves and currents probably from the Smith river to the north and the Klamath river from the south.

total AU output 40,000 ounces (book was printed around 1980)

Believe me there is a lot of black sand in many places. I will be testing it after I get settled.

Don't forget the beaches not too far North of you. Oregon* has some good spots (several were historically mined) and the rules for beach mining are published unlike what I have read about for Commiefornia.
*https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1934/0008/report.pdf

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful guys - don't wanna start another gold rush. Next thing you know, the Hoffman crew would be there! :laughing7:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things....

Did you feel the earthquake today?

And, here's a publication for you to checkout.

Oh, yea felt it then got up. It was my normal get up time. No big deal. I have been in a few very bad ones.

The pdf you sent was the book I got my info from, only an earlier version. Thanks, lots of historic info, which is good.

Look up smith river. My home is 6.4 miles (as the bird flies) from the smith. On pg 142 there are a list of mines from the past. I wonder if there is a way to find them and another way to see if someone still holds the mining rights. I would just like to hunt the tailings.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of those mines in the box Dan, anytime you're ready. I also have a DVD from Clay Diggins/Land Matters on our neighborhood so... :icon_thumright:
I will take you up on that when I get setteled. But for now it is CC every two weeks mostly to pickup mail and pull some weeds. I wouls like to see what Clay has to say on our little corner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions