Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you folks in CA can safely get out and recover some gold, please take some pictures of both the creeks AND the gold for those of us back East wishing we could be out there!
And if anyone can put together a before-after image of a river, I'm sure it'd be interesting to see. I typically take a few pictures of where I'm prospecting each time I go out; I did that up in Massachusetts and by comparing year 1 to year 2 I could see that some tree debris had been washed away by a storm, opening up an area for prospecting that wasn't accessible the year before.

Show us some pics please!
- Brian

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AU Solitude,
My point of reference for the water data I posted is the water station at the Lake Clementine Dam, this is upriver from the confluence of the North & Middle Forks of the American. Any water reading station below the junction of these two rivers could have easily shown a higher reading as the Middle Fork is the larger of the two rivers.

The junction of these two rivers is a powerful meeting point as in the 60's when the Hell Hole Dam, up river on the Middle fork, broke the surge took out the new bridge just down stream from the junction, that would have been something to witness!

I've been on the NFAR after some heavy winter/spring water, the changes in the topography can be dramatic though a lot depends on just how and when a prominent boulder or section of land gives way allowing a wall of water access to a less obstructed path. Nothing in or along a river is safe! Picture "very large" pine trees and a few oaks moving swiftly down a milk chocolate brown river with boulders bouncing along the river bedrock with the thud and whacks of the boulders easily heard while standing on a high bank some 30' above the river. It is amazing to see/hear this while it is happening. Then a few months later that same river is crystal clear water very safe to swim in, timing!!................63bkpkr

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now is the time to get pictures showing turbitity in the creeks and rivers. 10,000 dredges couldn't produce this much

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But all that brown silt your dredges produce destroys the habitats! Anyone help me with portrait pictures posting as landscape? Anyways... Not nearly as pounded as you guys up north, but the EFSG was up from calf height at my usual crossing spot to over my knees. Needless to say I was afraid to cross at that location and had to find a safer spot to cross at. River was muddy brown yesterday from the storm the night before, and probably still getting sprinkles at the top. Had my eye on a rock that was nearly submerged as my indicator rock to warn me that the river was rising and to get my stuff and get to the other side before I was unable to cross.

Bazooka was ripping though. Didn't have to clean the grizzly at all and the sniper was eating buckets. Wish we had this flow all the time.

Attachments

• 20170110_104917.jpg
    20170110_104917.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldfleks make sure you don't get caught on the wrong side of the river. You won't be the first one to get marooned there !

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, yah I know. I got out well before the rain kicked up. Would have had to hike out the long way around shoemaker lol.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha . There have been a few times that Search and Rescue had to come in with helocopters

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But all that brown silt your dredges produce destroys the habitats! Anyone help me with portrait pictures posting as landscape? Anyways... Not nearly as pounded as you guys up north, but the EFSG was up from calf height at my usual crossing spot to over my knees. Needless to say I was afraid to cross at that location and had to find a safer spot to cross at. River was muddy brown yesterday from the storm the night before, and probably still getting sprinkles at the top. Had my eye on a rock that was nearly submerged as my indicator rock to warn me that the river was rising and to get my stuff and get to the other side before I was unable to cross.

Bazooka was ripping though. Didn't have to clean the grizzly at all and the sniper was eating buckets. Wish we had this flow all the time.

rock.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodoconnor - I agree with you that now is indeed the time to take pictures of the Natural Runoff color of the rivers with, if possible, an official Sign in the picture that states what river/creek the picture is taken of.

If I were in the area of Auburn I would try to get down either the Green Valley Trail or the Euchre Bar trail as for the EB the bridge over the river is a clear landmark of where the picture was taken. Be Safe All!..................63bkpkr

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ugh. After spending two plus days living inside a waterfall, I had to get out. And do what? That was easy. ANYTHING! So here's some pics of the Smith between rain bands today. Much lower than 12 hrs ago tho.

Riding solo, North bound on 101 crossing Dr Fine bridge...out the passenger window...on the fly. Not recommended :nono:
001.JPG

Nope, not a boat ramp. It's the road to the day time camp grounds at Jedidiah.
003.JPG

You can see where the water was at the bottom of the frame.

004.JPG

005.JPG

Another daredevil crossing pic...Northbound 199 just before 197 out the drivers window.
008.JPG

And now for something completely different, the mouth of the Smith @ the Pacific Ocean.

013.JPG

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those pictures are great Jeff!
When I'm in a valley at normal water levels, I always look at how the trees are so far up from the river rocks and wonder..why? These pictures make it clear why there's that no-mans(tree's)-land, and make me realize that when the water is low we are (in geologic terms) walking and digging on the bottom of raging rivers like this.
Awesome!
- Brian

Bigauman

Mar 23, 2015
SF American River Lotus/Coloma

Attachments

• 1484182318996.jpg
    1484182318996.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 1484182349164.jpg
    1484182349164.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1484182415299.jpg
    1484182415299.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 88

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That will bring the steelhead into the Smith. They'll be close to the bank getting out of the way of the rolling cobbles. Nice pics Jeff.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And as the world turns , so does the weather for the mid - west! The west coasts rain / snow has made it to the mid - west in the form of rain , freezing rain , and snow for tomorrow! BRING IT ON YOU BAD GIRL!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau,
Remember it is not nice to tease mother nature!...............63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to secure a large sluice box into the bottom of a flooding creek and let mother nature fill it up with gold.

So far we do not have the flows here yet. Anybody doing this?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While dredging a Nor Kal creek I uncovered on bedrock some old railroad ties staked down perpindicular to the stream. They were filled with hardpack between them--and plenty of Au

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While dredging a Nor Kal creek I uncovered on bedrock some old railroad ties staked down perpindicular to the stream. They were filled with hardpack between them--and plenty of Au

Cool, where abouts in Northern California?

I have struggled with how to best secure something in a flooding creek, but my idea was to select a portion of creek that has bedrock normally exposed and drill/grout some large eyelets in and place the box last minute before flooding was forecasted. It would probably have to have some slope to it otherwise it might get buried.

I guess a culvert crossing might work better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread