Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'm in Grass Valley, and this rain is destroying my mobile home! I got a leaky roof., and even with tarps all over its still leaking
and causing damage! The insurer denied my claim, said the roof is old.
Unfortunately the general rule on this type of insurance claim is the water needs to originate in the residence. It's your responsibility to keep it out. If a tree falls on the roof & opens it up then insurance will pay for the water damage. If the roof is old and leaks they consider that a maintenance issue on the homeowner's part.
I used to be a partner in a company that specialized in smoke & water damage restoration for several insurance companies. I can honestly say that in the 5 years I did that I only saw one adjuster try & ripoff a customer & the ins company fired him. Every other adjuster (multiple companies) bent over for the home owner. I did see a ton of folks trying to ripoff the insurance company... NO INFERENCE TO YOU BB!!! Sorry for your loss. It sucks. Been there! As a matter of fact I was there a year ago :-(

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, where abouts in Northern California?

I have struggled with how to best secure something in a flooding creek, but my idea was to select a portion of creek that has bedrock normally exposed and drill/grout some large eyelets in and place the box last minute before flooding was forecasted. It would probably have to have some slope to it otherwise it might get buried.

I guess a culvert crossing might work better.

Kinda feel like any box you tried to secure would get demolished by cobbles pounding it. Your best bet imho would be to carve out traps in the bedrock if you can get to it, make a natural sluice box. Sounds like a lot of work lol.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have struggled with how to best secure something in a flooding creek, but my idea was to select a portion of creek that has bedrock normally exposed and drill/grout some large eyelets in and place the box last minute before flooding was forecasted. It would probably have to have some slope to it otherwise it might get buried.

This was Kanaka Creek ,Allegheny district.Right down the creek from The Orignal 16 to 1 mine.On the next claim over the old timers[Kanakas]had chisled a long sluice box into the inside bend.Very productive.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was Kanaka Creek ,Allegheny district.Right down the creek from The Orignal 16 to 1 mine.On the next claim over the old timers[Kanakas]had chisled a long sluice box into the inside bend.Very productive.

OK - much more south than my part of "Northern California" (top of the state).

I knew of a guy that had a small creek behind his house. He constructed a dam with some sort of release mechanism triggered with a float.
He kept diverting this flow and ground sluiced some placer ground. I believe there is a name for this type of device, but it escapes my mind.

Liability from this type of mining would be pretty big now days.

Per the bedrock mounted sluice....I was thinking of something with ore cart track for "riffles".
That's what they used in some of the old time boxes.

Have a good night.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I meet a guy in Georgia years back that had a small stream running through "his land" and he dug out a pit that straddled the stream from side to side. then he built a structure across this stream and kept his dredging device there to clean out the pit every time it rains. He was happy!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same style of recovery many times but easier to use cement car stops in the creek/river as no digging needed just a couple pieces of rebar into the ground and good to go. Never built a dredge shed though,like the idea but on a claim your inviting disaster. John

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
more coming NorCal way middle of next week.
rod, you live in Allegheny? never did too much on the middle fork, but hey, I've been to the Plumbago Crossing! what a wild ride down from the Nevada county side!!!! not recommended...we left via the Sierra side thru Allegheny.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A spot I go to has an old gear from when logging was done there I am sure it was put there as a trap.I need to go check it when it settles down some.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more coming NorCal way middle of next week.
rod, you live in Allegheny? never did too much on the middle fork, but hey, I've been to the Plumbago Crossing! what a wild ride down from the Nevada county side!!!! not recommended...we left via the Sierra side thru Allegheny.
No I don't.Sierra Co. Is one of my favorite places on the planet however.Near Twin Falls Id.currently

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that whole part of the motherlode is one of the friendliest spots in the country. except if you're a trespasser or claim-jumper :)
picked thru at the bottom of Kanaka at Tyler Foote Xing, not much there anymore.
there's a recent claim on the Nevada side by the xing, rope trail from the road.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of Tuesday, 17.65 inches of rain had fallen at the Pit No. 5 Powerhouse near Big Bend in eastern Shasta County since Jan. 1, according to the state Department of Water Resources. About 19.5 inches has fallen at Stouts Meadow on the McCloud River, according to the state.

And Donner over 15' of NEW snow also.......amazing 20" of rain in less than 10 days WOW...
HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS as yet another 6"r is a coming FAST....John

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that whole part of the motherlode is one of the friendliest spots in the country. except if you're a trespasser or claim-jumper :)
picked thru at the bottom of Kanaka at Tyler Foote Xing, not much there anymore.
there's a recent claim on the Nevada side by the xing, rope trail from the road.
These storms should stir some gravel up everywhere and revitalize some overworked spots. Good luck

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure has revitalized some spots! Yesterday i went to a place that has been hit hard, where you had to work hard to find any "leftovers" that other miners had missed. I started off sluicing some gravels which were rich, also did some crevicing and did pretty good..

What struck me the most was the complete transformation of the river. Theres no way that these overboard environmental groups have a leg to stand on. Every sign of mining (except for mines on the mountainside) has been erased.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was my first day off since working the previous 15 days straight plowing snow and rock slides, sanding ice pack and bucking up trees from the roads here in the very northwest corner of the state. The work days days ranged from 12 to 16 hours, mostly at night. Friday was spent with a loader, 10 yard dump truck and a very large chipper disposing of trees we'd removed from Highway 199.

I have to admit, at 65 years old I'm just plain getting tired. Feeding that chipper is hard work and old eyes grow weary driving a plow truck and spotting rocks (boulders) on the road in a snow storm at night.

On the bright side, the Smith River didn't quite reach flood stage, but it jumped up and down a number of times with the combination snow and rain storms. A lot of river bed material was moved around and a number of land slides (much of it old high bench round river cobble) entered the river.

Jeff, one of the clear pristine creeks up the 199 canyon has run milk chocolate brown a couple times this year. With this creek, it can only mean significant land slides took place upstream. We'll have to check it out when things slow down and warm up. This was a very rich gold producer back in the day.

Also, where we crossed the river, last time out, it looks like that got a good scouring. I was going to cut that tree out of your way on the access road but just didn't have time.

Well, another sizable storm is due this week so I'd better clean the gutters again and fill the wood bins. Real nice out today.

Mike

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope my bounty hunter tracker iv i ordered gets here in time to hit the beaches after all this so cal costal rain... my buddy just got back from a hunt with 3 gold rings, a white gold chain, 2 silver coins, and a ton of clad.

He said it was the best hint he has had in 10 years.

I hope there is still some goodies left for me by the time my detector gets here lol.

All this weather has me antsy to get out there and start detecting.
If you get bored, take a trip down to Laguna Main Beach. The beach used to scour down to bedrock & you could fill your pockets eyeballing! The first time my buddy & I went was back in 83 or 84. God as my witness I filled a 5gal bucket to within 3" of the top and another 1/4 full. My buddy filled one a little over 3/4 full. What was a bummer (we thought) was spending over a week cleaning coins.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sure hopes so rod....I got a couple of catches that I'll need to relook, but it'll likely not happen until June, depending on temps.
seen the snowpack melt after Memorial Day in 2011, river raged until after the 4th.
my friend Crazy Joe been makin a mint this year chaining by Donner...a trucker here in AZ told me he paid $200 to get over Donner...hiway robbery :)
last year had a good storm surge in March, but it wasn't enough to do anything I could tell.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes serious water to move the gold around,This year it looks to be the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread