New thought on glaciers

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a new thought on the glaciation in Wisconsin. What if the north polar ice sheet shifted south during the Biblical flood and pushed everything around?

Here's what the ice sheet on Lake Winnebago can do in a wind. Think of what a continent sized ice sheet could do if it got moving!

IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG

So instead of a couple thousand year march, the bottom of the floating ice sheet bulldozed everything rather quickly.

Upvote 0

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Methinks you should study up again instead of just making things up. Navigators used upward of 50 stars and planets in their calcs, depending on what was available. Sun, moon, and Polaris the most common. Precise angular measurements were used. Even the Mayans figured out the planetary orbits thousands of years ago...jeez

You talk a lot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocentric_model#Ptolemaic_system

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Duckshot. I just want to let you know you're not alone. 420k huh? What are they smokin'? Those numbers are always changing.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
It was pretty slow. The last ice age ended about 12,000 years age. But it lasted almost 100,000 years. Can do some serious grinding in that time.

So, it took 12,000 years for that glacier to melt as far as it did. I wonder if anyone complained about global warming?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to commend the people here who are making reality based comments with evidence from science. The rest, not so much. It doesn't matter if you believe scientifically verified facts or not, they still exist.

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its been some time since i studied it, but for starters they had the sun revolving around the earth, Venus frequently disappeared and materialized elsewhere, and Saturn zig-zagged around.

Totally wrong, but for all the right reasons.

Did you READ this somewhere? Or did you personally interview the old explorers?

If you didn't personally interview them how would you know such information?

You literally just claimed that carbon dating is false, that time is not a constant, and to ignore accepted scientific practice. But we are supposed to take YOUR word on a forum. You see the irony right?

Last edited:

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it took 12,000 years for that glacier to melt as far as it did. I wonder if anyone complained about global warming?

Look we all know the planet changes temperature over time. However the argument for man-made climate change is the RATE of change. Yes a warming period happened over 12,000 years that melted glaciers. But what we are seeing now is the disappearance of a vast number of our remaining glaciers in the period of 100 years. That is very significant, and really quite stupid to ignore. I suggest watching the netflix documentary called "Chasing Ice" if you have any doubts.

The other thing is there is almost zero downside for accepting man-made climate change and being wrong about it. We simply develop better and cleaner technology to deal with it. There are massive downsides to ignoring it and being wrong.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world did this happen? Somebody makes a suggestion that maybe a textbook is wrong and everybody jumps him like he's a direct threat to the liberty of the free world.

You literally just claimed that carbon dating is false, that time is not a constant, and to ignore accepted scientific practice. But we are supposed to take YOUR word on a forum. You see the irony right?

I never asked anyone to take my word for it. I'm NOT the one that claimed to know how long glaciers took to carve up the earth. That was the original post, that the textbook might be incorrect. Instead of exploring that possibility, or giving logical reason as to why that possibility does not exist, you wanna jump some dude for asking your thoughts on the matter? That ain't how science works.

BTW, time is not a constant.

:dontknow:

Einstein told me so

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldog, It doesn't matter what I'm smoking. Antarctic ice is on average a mile thick, and in places is more than 3 miles thick. What's the biggest number you can wrap your head around? 420,000 isn't even a blink compared to the age of the earth. 4.5 billion years, give or take. A billion is a thousand million, a million is a thousand thousand. 420,000 years is only about 9/1000 the age of the earth.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP postulates a theory and is immediately denounced by his peers.
Kinda like what has happened all through history to theories that are contrary to popular belief.

GG~

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back around 1900 some scientist determined that the human tounge had different zones in which the four taste senses were felt. This is completely untrue, had been demonstrated as false by another scientist in 1975, and the tounge taste zone map remained in children's school textbooks until 1980. They even had kids in 1980 trying to map out the tounge zones by placing sweet, sour, bitter, and salt, on various places of their tougnes. Every kid that tried the experiment knew it was wrong, even the teacher had their suspicions, but the tounge map was still taught as scientific fact.

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, time is not a constant.

:dontknow:

Einstein told me so

You don't understand special relativity then. If everything is on Earth, then everything 'experiences' time equally. To dilate time, you need relative motion. Time is a constant just not relative to other objects traveling at different speeds. For example if I was traveling half the speed of light and you were stationary you would see my minute as much longer then your minute. However that is only to the observer. My watch would record and I would experience exactly one minute even at half the speed of light.

Carbon dating has nothing to do with special relativity. And radioactive decay is a constant that has been proven over and over through lab experiments.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The locations and movements of the planets and celestial constellations
have been consistent for millennia..at least as far back as any known
records indicate. The Mayans and Egyptians had developed highly accurate
star charts, as did the Chinese astronomers going back nearly 3000 years.

Since the Universe is expanding, there has been slight movement over the
centuries, but this amounts to no more than a degree or two, and occurring
over hundreds of years.

Yes, Einstein was right, however time is indeed a constant unless you are falling into a
Black Hole, or traveling faster than the speed of light. At Earthbound speeds, traveling
at a high rate of speed around the world might amount to an entire picosecond difference,
so a trillion trips around the world would make you 1 second ahead of everyone else.
umn.gif~original

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldog, It doesn't matter what I'm smoking. Antarctic ice is on average a mile thick, and in places is more than 3 miles thick. What's the biggest number you can wrap your head around? 420,000 isn't even a blink compared to the age of the earth. 4.5 billion years, give or take. A billion is a thousand million, a million is a thousand thousand. 420,000 years is only about 9/1000 the age of the earth.

Pretty sure it was a joke... :laughing7::icon_thumleft:

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't understand special relativity then. If everything is on Earth, then everything 'experiences' time equally. To dilate time, you need relative motion. Time is a constant just not relative to other objects traveling at different speeds. For example if I was traveling half the speed of light and you were stationary you would see my minute as much longer then your minute. However that is only to the observer. My watch would record and I would experience exactly one minute even at half the speed of light.

Carbon dating has nothing to do with special relativity. And the decay of matter is a constant that has been proven over and over through lab experiments.

Well, Einstein kinda burst Newton's bubble on this whole gravity and time thing....sooo, science must be fake!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k.
Carbon dating has nothing to do with special relativity. And the decay of matter is a constant that has been proven over and over through lab experiments.

It isn't proven. The time decay takes is extrapolated from what they can see. You can't know that decay is constant over a 100,000 year period unless you have a measurement taken 100,000 years ago.

The problem with carbon dating and the fossil record as i see it is that age as determined by carbon dating is used to support the fossil record, while at the same time the age determined from the fossil record is used to support carbon dating. Both are dependent on the presumed age of sedimentary layers, which are frequently stood up on edge or flipped upsidedown completely.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k.

It isn't proven. The time decay takes is extrapolated from what they can see. You can't know that decay is constant over a 100,000 year period unless you have a measurement taken 100,000 years ago.

The problem with carbon dating and the fossil record as i see it is that age as determined by carbon dating is used to support the fossil record, while at the same time the age determined from the fossil record is used to support carbon dating. Both are dependent on the presumed age of sedimentary layers, which are frequently stood up on edge or flipped upsidedown completely.

Try again. Carbon dating doesn't work for fossils. Fossils are rock.

That said, what evidence is there that nuclear physics and forces have changed over the eons?

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Ken Ham whatever you say. Obviously someone who denies modern science isn't going to be influenced in a forum thread. So believe whatever you want.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look we all know the planet changes temperature over time. However the argument for man-made climate change is the RATE of change. Yes a warming period happened over 12,000 years that melted glaciers. But what we are seeing now is the disappearance of a vast number of our remaining glaciers in the period of 100 years. That is very significant, and really quite stupid to ignore. I suggest watching the netflix documentary called "Chasing Ice" if you have any doubts.

We simply develop better and cleaner technology to deal with it. There are massive downsides to ignoring it and being wrong.

zero downnside?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread