New thought on glaciers

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a new thought on the glaciation in Wisconsin. What if the north polar ice sheet shifted south during the Biblical flood and pushed everything around?

Here's what the ice sheet on Lake Winnebago can do in a wind. Think of what a continent sized ice sheet could do if it got moving!

IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG

So instead of a couple thousand year march, the bottom of the floating ice sheet bulldozed everything rather quickly.

Upvote 0

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how old do you want the world to be Kray?

You asked me and I don't really care how old the earth is. It has no matter to and no bearing on my life.

You seem to be invested. I do like how you explain your thinking. Quite unlike those who only mock unreasonably and lack evidence.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mainly looking at what would happen if that ice sheet moved south for some reason during the time where there was a way for it to really move. Where it would act like a well lubricated glacier. I know a while back they were worried about a volcano under the ice sheet of Antarctica providing enough heat to catastrophically slide the sheet. We know that WI was covered in ocean during the Silurian times, as that formed the dolomite found in Door County. But looking at the lake bottom, the rock features seem more east-west than the north-south that the glaciers supposedly moved. It looks more like a revolving mass of ice did it, kinda like a floor buffer pattern. The north-south debris patterns may have been from ice sheared off of that rotating mass. The only thing big and round, and made of ice, is the Arctic ice sheet. So, what makes a floating ice sheet move off the pole? Asteroid impact? Actually, Lake Michigan kinda looks like a low angle hit, because the lake slowly gets deeper from Chicago northward to Kewanee, and gets rapidly shallower from Kewanee to Beaver Island. Gray's Reef to the north of Beaver Island shows the east-west cutting of the glacier/ice sheet, so that area was dug by ice.

So, we know it was done by ice, we just don't know the form it took to do what it did.

And annual layers in ice sheets may not be true. They may be records of individual snowstorms.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a native story here about the Huna people's village getting destroyed by a quickly advancing glacier in what is now Glacier Bay Nat'l park. They were forced to flee across icy strait to Chicagof island where they live today. I can't remeber how long ago it was, but not too far back, maybe 3-400 years or so...not long before capt Cook explored the area in the 1770's. When he sailed through icy straits Glacier Bay was one big glacier and the ice extended all the way to icy strait. Now the glaciers have receded way, way back and only a few arms still reach tidewater.

I attended a seminar at the University here years ago where they dicussed the village's destruction and the anthropology work being done. From the stories the glacier had advanced hundreds of yards per day leading up to the disaster. They can certainly be a destructive force!

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an interesting concept. However I'll attach a video if i can figure it out that will help to explain how the glaciers made such rapid advances aside from rapid continental drift. Ive always had a hard time wrappig my head around how ice sheets could advance the way they do and scour the land with glaciers. But once you realize the volume of ice and the vertical pressure driving it forward from such great amounts of ice falling from the sky it makes mores sense.

and as an added bonus ......

Enjoy

"hmm wonder how to embed with preview"

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Global Warming!...May have ...Some Benefits!

Global Warming.jpg

From one of my earlier posts:
Interesting story from a friend... located in a northern town... located next to a Glacier... here in Northern British Columbia, Canada.

This town's location is by a Glacier, which has caused Centuries of Earths' Upheavals and with this... many Gold Deposits!

Gold Nuggets.jpg

What is interesting...with the receding Glaciers...He has been going around the bottom and locating...Gold Nuggets

He is now injecting steam to help melt the Glacier... Helping Mother Nature relinquish her gifts.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duckshot, I don't really care either. Just can't resist sometimes when people who quit learning in Sunday School ( not referring to you ) stick their necks out begging for someone to lop it off. You are right, in the end, it doesn't make a diff. Gotta lay low, I think some people are sensitive having their world view questioned. I have done my biological duty, having raised my progeny to breeding age, and am just taking up space, now, until Bam.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot, I don't really care either. Just can't resist sometimes when people who quit learning in Sunday School ( not referring to you ) stick their necks out begging for someone to lop it off. You are right, in the end, it doesn't make a diff. Gotta lay low, I think some people are sensitive having their world view questioned. I have done my biological duty, having raised my progeny to breeding age, and am just taking up space, now, until Bam.

If I wasn't making people question they're world view i wouldn't be doing my job, LOL

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear so many folks here have bought into the "Global Warming/ Cooling/ Climate Change" junk science. Have any of you folks listened to the other side, and I mean truly (with an open mind) and then made up your mind on the science behind the "Man Made(up)" climate change or the age of the Earth? I truly doubt that not a lot of guys on here have. You/ I can believe anything we want. My belief that "Global Warming/ Cooling/ Climate Change is junk science has been PROVEN many, many times. After listening to both sides, I choose to believe the facts, as well as the age of our planet to be somewhere between 7,000-10,000 years old. Theories are just that. It amazes me how people tout "Theory" as facts, all too often. For every action, there is a re-action. All I'm saying here is, listen to the other side and then make up your mind on what you believe. There are plenty of books and videos, and tons of literature out there using scientific evidence to debunk what so called "scientists" claim the Earth's age is and "Man made global warming/ cooling/ climate change/ whatever they name it next that fits into their agenda(s)".
I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna come under some heavy attack for typing this, and I don't care. I'm a tough assed Jarhead, so bring it on!!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finished a book recently, "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes - how a stone age comet changed the course of world culture". Their theory involves just what you were saying. Their sudden surge of the ice sheet, at the end of the ice age was caused by a comet striking the ice sheet over Lake Michigan, causing a surge of water under the ice, triggering a surge, and a whole host of other disasters. I've been reading some stuff on the Carolina Bays, and these authors believe the bays were caused from impacts of shattered ice sheet pieces, tossed ballistically from the impact site. Another book on the subject I have read is " Killer Comet-what the Carolina bays tell us." Also, they believe it struck at a low angle. They show images of the floor of Lake Michigan. You are on to something.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Semper Fi, Dude. I was just a candy-ass tin can sailor. Before we did anything, first we had to put down the coffee, put our feet on the floor, and stub out the cig. Yeah, you are right. It is after all a theory, and as Duckshot points out, knowing doesn't change anything. The earth does warm and cool, always has. Getting all excited about it doesn't change it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FFFPattiot, politics is only allowed in out politics forum found under Charter Member Forum. Please don't post politics in the other forums.

Thanks[emoji106]

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FFFPattiot, politics is only allowed in out politics forum found under Charter Member Forum. Please don't post politics in the other forums.

Thanks[emoji106]

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Will do!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's all fun and games until somebody has to question their belief system. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished a book recently, "The cycle of cosmic catastrophes - how a stone age comet changed the course of world culture". Their theory involves just what you were saying. Their sudden surge of the ice sheet, at the end of the ice age was caused by a comet striking the ice sheet over Lake Michigan, causing a surge of water under the ice, triggering a surge, and a whole host of other disasters. I've been reading some stuff on the Carolina Bays, and these authors believe the bays were caused from impacts of shattered ice sheet pieces, tossed ballistically from the impact site. Another book on the subject I have read is " Killer Comet-what the Carolina bays tell us." Also, they believe it struck at a low angle. They show images of the floor of Lake Michigan. You are on to something.

I would go with asteroid. I've dissolved some limestone and found little sub millimeter iron spheres. Micro meteors or impact debris?

And for those that like to blow off the Bible, consider this:

Genesis 2:10-14
"Now a river flowed out of Eden to water the garden; and from there it divided and became four rivers. The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold. And the gold of the land is good; the bdellium and the onyx stone are there. And the name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole land of Cush. And the name of the third river is Tigris; it flows east of Assyria. And the fourth river is the Euphrates."

We know where the Garden of Eden is as we're pumping it out of the ground as oil. Now we need to figure out where the Pishon flowed, and we have the next gold rush!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread