Bear River Campground Threat

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yet another good reason to carry a weapon.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are sketchy people there all the time but a female miner many of us have mined with spent a week camping there amongst the locals with no backup and no problems. The difference in this case is don't let your girl drink beer with nine dudes in a deserted campground if you can't or are unwilling to defend yourself and your girl. Red shoes and BB guns? Not a man in the bunch.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to the bear all the time and have never had any issues, of course I haven't camped at the campground but everyone always seems ok when I'm out there

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are sketchy people there all the time but a female miner many of us have mined with spent a week camping there amongst the locals with no backup and no problems. The difference in this case is don't let your girl drink beer with nine dudes in a deserted campground if you can't or are unwilling to defend yourself and your girl. Red shoes and BB guns? Not a man in the bunch.
Haha this^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always have a great time at the Bear!

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Couldn't really say that Sherry is lacking in back up.

Different people being at places at different times leads to different outcomes.

Sherry presents herself as someone that would mess you up.

The people in the above incident sound like victims of opportunity.

Not saying to avoid the bear or the campground. People just need to be aware of the sort of people that may be around there.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know for sure but I read the story several times, my impression is fake news. Greenies up to their old tricks. Lots of holes in their story.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hubby and I went to Alatoona Lakes, in Georgia 3 yrs ago. We went to prospect a creek on Corp. property, that was surrounded by a residential area. The paths were wide and well worn. As we were coming out of the creek, a man and woman were coming up the path. She had a chunk of a limb in her hand, hiding it behind her back.
You know how druggies are like skeletons, and are paranoid? These two were definetly druggies. My hubby is a big bull of a guy, and a hunter. I wasn't worried at all. :laughing7:
The campgrounds were spectacular and clean.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know for sure but I read the story several times, my impression is fake news. Greenies up to their old tricks. Lots of holes in their story.

Fake story was my impression too. Lots of things really didn't add up well.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couldn't really say that Sherry is lacking in back up.

Different people being at places at different times leads to different outcomes.

Sherry presents herself as someone that would mess you up.

The people in the above incident sound like victims of opportunity.

Not saying to avoid the bear or the campground. People just need to be aware of the sort of people that may be around there.

If Sherry was there it would have been nine dudes scattering nine different directions.... gonna mine with her on Saturday

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree I thought the same

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive heard many stories of "riff raff" in the bear river camp ground...what a guy i was talkin to called "bottle prospectors" -those mining just to get their next buzz. I
wasnt surprised at all reading the article. Plus, this is crazy california...be safe out there and keep your guard up!

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my opinion is really that the dudes were messing with them and didn't like the boyfriend so they were doing the territorial thing. I doubt..really really hope that if they did say what they said to the guy, that they weren't really going to do it.

Though maybe the guy who warned isn't that evil and wanted them to know. But, why would he warn them.

If I pulled into the bear River campground with my family or wife/ girlfriend before having kids I would have drove on through and camped elsewhere. Broken window glass and long term tweaker camps aren't why I go to campgrounds.

I'll go there alone or with friends to prospect. it would be nice if it was cleaner. Day use doesn't seem to be a big deal. But, the bag/bottle miners are a let down for sure.

The lack of response by the S.O. does make it suspicious though it's not the only thing like this I have heard of in the area.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17992127_1887518208192282_8465685766889271743_n.jpg

not one bit of it sounds fake to me. Considering what i've seen go down at campgrounds. As well as the stats about violence and crime in parks. A lot of it is suppressed and not released. Probably so people aren't turned away. It is well established that groups of guys do do stupid dangerous stuff when in the woods. Especially when drunk and after dark.

if its fake (why) then so be it. If not then the word should go out.

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to that campground well over a dozen times in the past year. I have met quite a few of the bottle miners there. They actually don't bother me at all. There's a guy across the river that lives in a barely standing shack and has a dog. Seems like a rough dude, but if you talk to him he seems fine. I have been there before when the campground was full of loud drunk bikers. I walked through their camp and they just asked about gold. Another time there were a bunch of gangster looking mexicans that had pretty much taken over the camp. Again though, I walked through their campsite to get to the trail and they didn't even look my way. I've taken my wife and kids there many times as well. Aside from having to explain to my kids what a meth addict is, nothing has ever happened. I think it's just like anything else, keep to yourself and you should be fine. Never go anywhere without a means to protect yourself. Be aware of your surroundings, and um never join a large group of drunk guys that you dont know for a beer?? I do think there is an agenda to shut down both the day use and the campground though. I can't see California letting what happens in that area go on forever. The floods have cleaned it up, but last year it looked like the beaches of normandy with all the holes everywhere.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to post this about the camp ground
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493245338.268510.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493245355.998004.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions