DEVILS CANYON on Discovery Channel.

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a little while since I've been around. Got moved to the night shift at work and that has really hindered my prospecting and I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks. Well yesterday I got an email from Discovery Channel about when the teaser/trailers will be airing for the show I will be on called "Devils Canyon". First one is on May 17th during the airing of "The Last Alaskans". I am nervous like you wouldnt believe. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. 6 weeks completely alone in the British Columbia bush, surviving and mining gold. No film crew, just me, filming myself the entire time. You get me, in the raw struggling like I have never done before.

But how did "The Goose" react............(you should have seen the people in the park......LOL!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't a new season be just about ready to go into production?

The water in B.C. isn't too high to mine right now

TV has a terrible business model. Everything happens at the last second.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you are 61 year old with more than 50 years of mining experience you'd believe it too as I do. Your lack of experience is guiding your opinions, sad. Can a gold nugget be right on top of a gravel bar, you better believe it can, I have found them and seen others find them. Can you mine with just a trowel and pan and be successful, yes. It is all in your mindset, you mine by the tools you bring, if you bring a highbanker you think differently than if you bring a pan.

The hate will flow like you wouldnt believe ED. A lot of these people dont have any idea how much was left on the editing room floor so to speak. They are entitled to their opinions and I let them have it without trying to defend myself. I know what happened out there, they dont.

Cant wait to get out and dig with you again!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see.....????? A buck shot with horns (if I remember right?) and big barren river bars in the springtime runoff.......hmmmmmm?????? Now I do remember seeing the snake they added that was obviously taken from the Naked & Afraid show and so out-of-place. Speaking of Naked & Afraid......I did see a naked Goose and That was sooooo WRONG.....lmao!

Just wanted to clarify I was being sarcastic about the doubters comments of being shot in the spring and supporting the show in general (except for the snake thingy). The last episode made up for the excess survival stuff......

Nov 8, 2017
Norway
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have to pay someone for prospecting for gold? Do you have to pinpoint your aera where you want to look for gold? If so; where do you find the land-owners that owns the land where you want to dig for gold? How much is the "normal" payment for the land owner? Is it % of what you find or one price that you agree on before you start? I'm totally blank on this but does not know how this works... Regards Torfinn

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to this show? I never caught it again after a couple episodes.

The "official" word on the show for season 2 is "TBD" (to be determined). A lot going on with Disco right now. anything new got put on the back burner until things settle down.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "official" word on the show for season 2 is "TBD" (to be determined). A lot going on with Disco right now. anything new got put on the back burner until things settle down.

Who can we write at disco to convince them to run season 2 and even more seasons. All your work on that show as well as the other miners is way better than watching gold rush

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show just aired here in Sweden and here's my take on it -

By now, Ive mined all kinds of alluvial deposits in Finland, Norway, Sweden, Scotland, France, Serbia, Czech Republic, Poland, California, Idaho, Utah. I've been in deserts, in glacial deposits, non-glacial, matured rivers, short-lifespanned waterways etc. I've dug old river bends on land, just like those in the show.

1. I've never found coarse gold high in the ground where material has been moved and sorted. Yes, I've Heard of a picker or two being thrown shallow after an immense spring flood, but they are almost always Deep down. Very deep down. I have not seen nor heard of nuggets being found in large quantities on top of gravel bars next to big, slow flowing, mature rivers. Larger gold can to a lesser extent be found shallow in short-moved glacial deposits, but rarely in a river that has been sorting the material for 10 000-200 000 years.

2. All my efforts of finding good gold in old riverbeds have failed. Yes, there's a Little of it here and there, but not just sitting around in huge amounts as shown in the show.

3. I've never seen big amounts of flour gold mixed with big amounts of pickers/nuggets in the very same place. They just dont sit around together. Flour gold gets washed away much further than the larger pieces.

3. Narrative etc is off. While prospecting, one would take test pans as soon as possible everywhere and set up the camp where gold is found. This shown went for episodes without the participants prospecting much at all. Just when it looked like the old dude was gonna take a few test pan....he instead "marked the samples and took them back to camp" rather than panning them out in that same creek.

4. Theres no need to dig down through unknown amounts of sand in old river bends - you can always dig in where the new waterway already cut through the old channel, and testing it for gold at depth. Also, you would have water closer than in the middle of the forest.

5. As usual, just when the prospectors actually start prospecting after three weeks of complaining about danger, their are fatigued and winter came in. Too bad, just when they are all finding a pennyweight in every test pan. Would add up to Pounds of gold quickly just by running those small highbankers a while...

6. As someone mentioned, the snow we are seeing in the last episode is a spring meltdown, without a doubt - not fresh autumn snow. First of all, the sun is only that Bright in the spring in these northern grounds. Secondly, the waterways show broken ice after being thickly frozen. But most importantly, shadowed parts of the wood are still Deep in snow that is slowly melting, while parts of the ground that's exposed to the sun, is completely clear, dry and unfrozen. Only warm spring sun can cause this.

----

Sorry, I hate to be the party pooper but I've been tricked to places Before that has been marketed for immense gold etc, while putting too high expectations on what can be achieved from recreational gold mining. I dont doubt for a while that there's still good gold in places far off the beaten path, but nuggets dont sit around everywhere like that.

I dont want to ruin the efforts of making prospecting shows or take the fun out of prospecting, I just Think its wise to be sober about this whole thing and fair to less experienced miners trying to understand this hobby, and not just walk away from a potentially good stream because the first test pan didnt have a few nuggets in it.

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun Goose............
------------------------------------------------
girpop.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread