Swede coming to Cali/Idaho!

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm a 29 year old prospector from the city of Stockholm, Sweden. Despite my urban residence, I try to get away and prospect for gold as much as I can. Due to lack of a proper own location to mine, I try to visit as many new countries to prospect in instead.

So far, I found gold in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Scotland, France, Serbia, Czech Republic and Poland. And as of right now, Im waiting for my VISA to be done for finally visiting the US.

I intend to book a flight for 9th of october or a week later, traveling alone and staying some 11 days. I will be landing in San Francisco.

For unknown reasons, Im kinda in love with Idaho since a few years back and the goal is to visit that place and do some prospecting, probably in the mountains above Boise.

I've however been recommended to try panning in Cali aswell, and Heard about some public free-panning location on the Bear River. Where excatly is this one, or are there several locations?

-What does the law say about light prospecting with a shovel and pan only? If I find a Creek in the middle of nowhere, is it free to pan in both Idaho and Cali, or am I most likely intruding on someones land?

-If so, are there claims where the public can pay to pan? Im willing to do so for decent gold rather than getting in trouble or not finding anything.

-Other input, anything else I should know, or visit or do...?

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you getting to Idaho and what route are you taking?

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty neat list of places youve found gold. I know there are quite a few here in CA, just not sure of the specifics. Im hoping to get out in October and find some myself, but need to do some research first. Maybe we can meet up on a river somewhere.

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be renting a SUV with decent ground clearence in San Francisco for this whole period. As for route, Im flexible and I dont mind taking a few detours to see what I want to see.

I do find myself experienced by now in this field, as for where gold sits etc, so I'm more concerned about intruding on claims or private land.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much anywhere you can drive to easily will be claimed. California does have several drive up public prospecting areas.

I get get you on claims legally. There are several of us here that would gladly take you out to find some gold.

Driving to Idaho in October can get you some snow. Much of the areas with gold are higher in elevation. I wouldn't suggest exploring Idaho with out someone with you.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be renting a SUV with decent ground clearence in San Francisco for this whole period. As for route, Im flexible and I dont mind taking a few detours to see what I want to see.

I do find myself experienced by now in this field, as for where gold sits etc, so I'm more concerned about intruding on claims or private land.

If I didn't have a good reason to land in Frisco, I would probably fly into Sacramento (further north and the heart of the gold rush).

I'm only familiar with extreme northern California. But I think you have a lot of options starting out of Sacramento.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, screw landing and dealing with S.F.

Sac. is barely an hour to gold.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idaho is at least a full days drive from San Francisco (over 9 hours) so that means you you will burn about 20% of your total visit time just in round trip driving. The drive would be scenic and diverse though depending on the route.

I would take Goldwasher up on his generous offer to put you on some claims or to point out other areas much closer to SF.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you get over to eastern Idaho, I can put you on some Snake River flour gold. It's about 4 hours east of Boise. Bring a coat.
Jim
P9140002.JPG

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, lots of invites - thats very nice. Snow and flour gold is about everything we deal with over here.

Reason for landing in SF is that there is a direct flight from Stockholm over to Oakland. I Believe it takes just some 8-9 hours so Im actually closer timewise to California than my usual hunting grounds around here.

I guess I'll keep the route open so far. Schedule is a bit tight but a part of the trip is to experience what real America looks like and how people really live, outside tourist-focused NYC and Miami. I figure there should be enough time to both see a bit of the Wild West along with getting back pain from excessive digging :)

10gguld.JPG

ränna.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to see how most Americans live - please wipe the memory of San Fransisco out of your mind when you leave.
It's not really representative of the rest of the country. Lots of nice people down there, but many more with pretty far out ideas.

If you can get a hold of a gold detector, there are many places in Northern California where you could spend a day and possibly walk away with a nugget or two.

You just messed things up with your last post...should have posted up a picture of a good looking blond lady - you would have had lots of offers.
Then at the last minute you could have revealed that you are sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that Im behind the camera. I might actually look something like this

Yea thats a smokey topas in the hand, worth nothing here despite being rare, worth a lot in the Rockies....

gruva2.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...as a bunch of old farts frantically raise their hands. :laughing7:
That's how hitch hiking works around here. The young gal stands along the road and hitches the ride and as she is loading her bags into the truck, her scuzzy boyfriend climbs out of the brush and quickly starts loading his stuff into the rig.

Personally I would avoid crossing the Nevada desert country and instead go via. Hwy 97 through Bend Oregon, then Redmond -> Prineville ->Hwy26 to Ontario - then on to Boise.

Once you figure out what part of the country you are wanting to visit, you will probably be able to nail down a few contacts.

If your going to Northern California I'd look at flights to Sacramento, Redding, or Medford (Oregon). Those are all international airports along Interstate 5.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bear river in Colfax is all bombed out like a war zone but there is still color available. The N. Yuba is my go to for easy pickings. SF is a sh#t hole full of grumpy tech workers but you can find gold on the beach. In The gold rush you had two options for travel, the overland route or around the horn on a boat, most argonauts who went by boat landed in San Francisco. As far as I know the area under roads such as culvert pipes and what is under bridges is generally open for poking around due to highway easement, well at least according to the fellow at the BLM office in Sac.

Last edited:

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_0742.JPG IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2153.JPG IMG_0745.JPG

If you still have interest in gold prospecting in Idaho, there is great opportunity in the Elk City district and the scenery is worth the trip alone.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you flying in to Oakland or San Franciso? Thats like different worlds.

OP
OP
H

HappySwede

Sep 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right guys, you are all very convincing. Thet trip is now BOOKED

Im landing in Oakland/SF the 11th of october at about 4 PM. Im picking up a Chevrolet Suburban on the spot but am yet to see where I'll head off to spend the night.

The flight back is TWO WEEKS later on october the 25th. This should provide me enough time to visit both Northern California and Idaho, you guys sure make me want to see it all.

I'm interested in all kinds of activities, metal detecting, panning etc etc. Even hunting or whatever people do up there. I'll be happy to contribute to the cost of any adventure.

Due to rapid decline of temperature and daylight - I assume I should first head to Idaho and then do the Cali thing on my way back - right? And oh, I hope my Cali plates dont get me in trouble in Idaho. I hear Californians and Idahoans disagree on a couple of things in life :)

Last edited:

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roaring camp in pine grove calif is a place you pay to stay and they own the canyon and river for miles. It is on the mokelumne river look at they web site.You can stay in a miners cabin or tent camp . They truck you in so very safe and private. Even old style general store /saloon where you can eat, play cards and have a beer and tell tales of the gold you found that day.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you want to go to Sutters mill and dig gold nearby make sure to get in touch with me.

I would let you go hunting with me but, its hard enough not to spook the mule deer when your by yourself.

If my son or I have gotten a buck yet I'll make you a venison dinner.

I have a friend with a hundred acres, who runs a small camp ground. If you want to stay in a restored Basque sheep herders wagon or camp on a hillside near Indian grinding rock let me know. I can set it up. Let me know though so I can have him block out a sight for you.

He hunts and has blinds set up he may be able to let you watch. depending on if he has gotten a buck yet he might let me take you out there.

He has a big garden, home made wood fired pizza oven. So if you want to sit have some beer and elk sausage pizza you can do that.

Oh yea, he has gold too he'll let you scrape cracks and keep what you find.

If you want to see how us California hill folk live by all means come say hi. I think you'll be surprised at how much more sophistication we possess vs. what you see on the news :laughing7:

If you want to go shooting we can do that too.

If you want to fish we can do that also. I have extra prospecting gear. Fishing gear, ice chests, stoves, lanterns other camp gear that I rent to tourists.

I'll let you borrow anything you need for free if you need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread