Reducing dredge hose size for high powered crevicing

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There apparently is glacial gold in NY state, but most all of it resides in crevices. Quite a while back, I decided not to crevice as most folks do... large toothpicks, pry bars, tooth brushes... well you get the gist of it. Most of the cracks and crevices nearby are under three inches or so. Since I have a 4" dredge, I was thinking of getting a 2" log to reduce the weight and enable me to insert the suction hose down into the larger cracks to remove material with the aid of a high pressure water stream to break up material. Would using a considerably smaller log cause any damage to the pump that puts out about 175 gallons/min or doesn't it really matter.

I'm going up to the Deerfield River Drainage Placer Deposits in Vermont to check out the area. It's only a couple of hours away and almost no traffic lights.

Feedback needed.

Upvote 0

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They make a adapter that fits your 4" hose for crevices I think Keene makes it. With a good blaster it should all come out of crevice anyways. If you reduce your intake down not enough water to run box.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks... I'll give them a try. Wanted to drastically reduce weight. The sluice that I use is a Gold Well 12" X 5 ft.. I've used it to catch some really fine gold. In fact, if I were Peter Pan, the sluice could catch Tinker Bells fairy dust.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can reduce the suction intake on most dredges by 1" and not suffer serious ill effects. However, if you go to a 2" (half) you will not like the result. First there will only be half as much water in the sluice (not enough) and the suction force will be reduced significantly. Your suction is derived not only from the force of the jet but the inertia of the water in the hose. Reduce the water by half and you kill the mass of water in the hose.
Setting up a 2" log on a 4" pump...not sure of the point. You still have a box designed for a 4" flow. Buy a smaller dredge... Less headache

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go buy an 18" piece of 4" muffler and then flatten it out in a vice while leaving enough round on the one side to slip into a short piece of hose. Then just slide it on and off your 4" suction nozzle when needed. You don't need to put it all the way on the suction nozzle for great suction.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 4 inch crevice reduction nozzels you buy are worthless.....you can not reduce a 4 inch down to such an extreme size. I had a nozzle given to me. I even drilled holes in it in an attempt to increase the water flow and maintain some suction....did not work. In the end I made a reduction nozzle by using two inch and a half heavy gauge (PVC like) pipes. I fabricated them into a piece of 4 inch heavy gauge PVC pipe....( epoxy and black Geocel 4500 roof bonding sealant). It works great!

Just a note for all miners: The black Geocel roof bonding sealant is the most awesome stuff I have ever used....I have even repaired sidewall tears in quad tires. Once it is in place and sets it is impossible to remove and it remains rubbery. I use it all the time while mining. Recirc tub/pipe systems, hose repairs, sluice box alterations etc. Amazing stuff!.

Bejay

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have about 4' of 1 1/4" suction hose that I use for crack sucking on my 4" remediation machine. I insert the hose into the 4" hose about a foot or so and tie it off to the nozzle ring with some brass wire. It has good suction while still letting enough water into the jet/sluice. I have a piece of 1" pipe clamped into the business end of the hose help with plug ups.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have come up with a workable solution that does not restrict water flow to the sluice, but permits a smaller hose to be used to get down into the crevices. Great lateral thinking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread