OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576856.360115.jpg

Has this in it ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576908.115907.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576929.459642.jpg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think this will work.......You can determine the volume of the stone in a bucket of water. Partially fill a bucket with a known quantity of water then fully submerge the stone and mark the water level it rises to. Take the stone out and fill the bucket to that line then measure all of that water (or just measure what you add to fill to the line). The difference between the two quantities of water is the volume of the stone. Now that you know the volume you can figure out what it should weigh if it were all quartz and compare that figure to what it actually weighs. If the weight is greater than the "calculated/estimated quartz weight by volume" then at least some of that is probably from hidden gold.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think this will work.......You can determine the volume of the stone in a bucket of water. Partially fill a bucket with a known quantity of water then fully submerge the stone and mark the water level it rises to. Take the stone out and fill the bucket to that line then measure all of that water (or just measure what you add to fill to the line). The difference between the two quantities of water is the volume. Now that you know the volume you can figure out what it would weigh as quartz and compare that figure to what it actually weighs. If it is greater than the "calculated quartz weight by volume" then at least some of that is probably from hidden gold. You will end up with a fair "guesstimate".
Yes and this will be better then any crude scale. Lets say the measurement says there is 1/2 oz. this could be spread out in very small pieces throughout the 60lb. rock compared to a few hot spots. Try to scan this as the rock gets smaller when cutting or breaking up the rock just re-scan with the metal detector. Maybe just slab away with the rock saw and re-scan with each slab taken off the rock. Check to see if the retirement center has a big enough rock saw first.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If OregonGold76 is lucky and there may be a few ozs. of values there. Then all the more reason to scan slab re-scan with the metal detectors. Maybe hole saw some of the hot spots and then drop in acid the core sample? Who know what is there as this can be part of the fun.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put me and the rock on the scale

Rock- 87 pounds
Me- Not going to talk about it [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just put me and the rock on the scale
Rock- 87 pounds
Me- Not going to talk about it [emoji15]
Thanks for the update. No real reason for you to talk about it. You have got some ideas here from others posting.
Do not see many rock saws that can vice grip a 87lb. rock. You may have to do some drilling to reduce the size of rock for a rock saw.
The idea if slabbing any sweet zones is a better way to make it sell as "Jewelry rock" (More then the going price of gold) as well as a keepsake for the family. Thanks again for sharing.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can a picture of the rock opened up would be nice and no need to talk about it. Thank you.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found some quartz rocks that picked up on my metal detector as well. Not as obvious as yours, but I think there's gold in it. It was giving off a strong iron target signal. Then I turned the discrimination on and they really went off. I have been trying to figure out a way to easily dissolve the quartz/host rock, leaving just the gold behind. Pretty difficult to figure out exactly how to do it besides smashing and panning them. I have quite a few of them and don't have a rock crusher. I ended up smashing up a fist sized rock with a sledge hammer inside of an ammo can, and it took FOREVER. I know there's a way to dissolve it, but getting the stuff can be difficult. When I fist tried a couple months back, I had read that vinegar would do it, and so would peroxide. I jumped right into it! What I failed to realize, is that it had to be 30% H202 or greater, still unsure of the vinegar. I tried it and it does absolutely nothing. I have heard that caustic soda/lye would get the job done (still unsure of this). Apparently it is a common drain cleaner, but only a couple brands have high percentages in them. Then there's Hydrofluoric acid and let's face it, I wont be able to get my hands on that. There's Hydrochloric acid, but it seems that this is what people are using to CLEAN their gold nuggets/specimens... I'm still trying to gather the right info. Anyways, great rock man. If I were you, i don't think i would smash it with the amount of visible gold. There may be a good little specimen on the inside. Maybe try to see how to dissolve everything but the gold and maybe a leave a little bit of the Quartz on it.
Will take a lot of acid for a rock this size. If a regular carbide drill will work may a line with it a crack open to reduce the rock in to two or more parts. Be sure to metal detect to help find all the larger values before the next step.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386189.307407.jpg
Four 3/4" holes threw it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508386258.927164.jpg
This is what came out of just the dust drone the roto hammer [emoji15]

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry "from" not drone

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is any jewelry rock, but I'm hoping there is a bit more gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think there is any jewelry rock, but I'm hoping there is a bit more gold.
There could be some small areas that are jewelry rock. Maybe the next rock will be better time will tell.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.. I'm sure the easy way to find out what's inside would be to smash...but that's only instant gratification. If you can keep it a specimen (depending on the inside), it could yield some good $$$. Try to find 2 points with gold on the quartz on opposite sides of the rock and test with an ohm meter. This is how you can figure out if it's 1 continuous wire/nugget/specimen. If the first 2 points don't work, find a different couple of spots and test those. Do this until you find 2 points that give you a reading. This way you know that the area being tested is one solid specimen. I would also urge you to get a geology hammer instead of sledges and drills. This will allow you to chip away, and work around any possible good areas so you can maintain it. The stuff that chips off, crush and pan. The stuff that remains in the rock, dissolve in 35% H202. You can dissolve a smaller piece of rock...you just have to get it smaller. There is a really good video series on YT titled "7788.17 grams massive gold and quartz speciman" and you get to watch the transformation into a brilliant specimen. Then there's another video titled "how to calculate the weight of gold in quartz." Maybe check those out and them decide what to do? There could be something very special/valuable in there :). Good luck. Can't wait to read more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Malanchikb

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont mind. If your talking to me im very interesed in fonding out what mine is. Thank you

Malanchikb

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is it cracked open.theyre was a clay like bubble around thw crystals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread