Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Quartz

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
    204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    FYI If you decide you want to slab it some retirement centers have lapidary equipment/diamond saws and may be willing to help you out.
    Thanks, I did not know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2017
    71 times
    Beautiful!

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oidium45 View Post
    Beautiful!
    Thank you, I thought so.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    440 times
    Prospecting
    FYI If you decide you want to slab it some retirement centers have lapidary equipment/diamond saws and may be willing to help you out.
    Good idea as some towns retirement centers have them. The cost may be as little as $40.00 - $70.00 for so many hours that you can use in a month to do cutting and polishing if you like. First try to find the sweet spots in the rock if you can. The slabs should look real cool and should sell for more then the louse gold will. Keep us posted.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2441 times
    Prospecting
    Specific gravity tests will also give you some indication of about how much hidden gold the stone contains. Here is a general idea as to how it is done. Quick Test Method for Determining Specific Gravity of Mineral Specimens. SG of quartz is about 2.6 and pure gold is 19.32.

Good luck
    enamel7 and Bejay like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    204 times
    Specific gravity tests will also give you some indication of about how much hidden gold the stone contains. Here is a general idea as to how it is done. Quick Test Method for Determining Specific Gravity of Mineral Specimens. SG of quartz is about 2.6 and pure gold is 19.32.

Good luck
    I don't have a scale that will weigh a 60+ pound rock

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting
    If the "Miners" where using explosives they may not have broken up all the ore rock to be able to see all the values. You can take the time if it is safe to look inside the rocks a little more. Just an idea as we out here have no idea what you may be looking at.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonGold76 View Post
    I don't have a scale that will weigh a 60+ pound rock
    A better bathroom scale will kinda work.

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    204 times
    I'll let y'all know when I figure something out.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting

Sweet spots.

I'll let y'all know when I figure something out.
    Will not cost anything to ask for the use at your local towns retirement center for a better scale if you like to weigh the rock.
    You still have to figure where the sweet spots are before slabbing up the rock. Maybe a diamond hole saw can be used however the center drill may wreck the sweet spot. If a magnetic base diamond hole saw machine is used then there is no center drill bit. Some rental centers will rent these out to use on the known sweet spots. Then just diamond blade slab saw the rest of the rock or break up if the rest of the sweet spots are small.
    Last edited by Assembler; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: oops

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2441 times
    Prospecting
    I think this will work.......You can determine the volume of the stone in a bucket of water. Partially fill a bucket with a known quantity of water then fully submerge the stone and mark the water level it rises to. Take the stone out and fill the bucket to that line then measure all of that water (or just measure what you add to fill to the line). The difference between the two quantities of water is the volume of the stone. Now that you know the volume you can figure out what it should weigh if it were all quartz and compare that figure to what it actually weighs. If the weight is greater than the "calculated/estimated quartz weight by volume" then at least some of that is probably from hidden gold.
    Last edited by arizau; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Bejay likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting
    I think this will work.......You can determine the volume of the stone in a bucket of water. Partially fill a bucket with a known quantity of water then fully submerge the stone and mark the water level it rises to. Take the stone out and fill the bucket to that line then measure all of that water (or just measure what you add to fill to the line). The difference between the two quantities of water is the volume. Now that you know the volume you can figure out what it would weigh as quartz and compare that figure to what it actually weighs. If it is greater than the "calculated quartz weight by volume" then at least some of that is probably from hidden gold. You will end up with a fair "guesstimate".
    Yes and this will be better then any crude scale. Lets say the measurement says there is 1/2 oz. this could be spread out in very small pieces throughout the 60lb. rock compared to a few hot spots. Try to scan this as the rock gets smaller when cutting or breaking up the rock just re-scan with the metal detector. Maybe just slab away with the rock saw and re-scan with each slab taken off the rock. Check to see if the retirement center has a big enough rock saw first.
    Last edited by Assembler; Oct 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM. Reason: oops

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting
    If OregonGold76 is lucky and there may be a few ozs. of values there. Then all the more reason to scan slab re-scan with the metal detectors. Maybe hole saw some of the hot spots and then drop in acid the core sample? Who know what is there as this can be part of the fun.

us
    Love Gold

Oct 2012
    Oregon
    204 times
    Just put me and the rock on the scale

Rock- 87 pounds
    Me- Not going to talk about it

bobw53 and arizau like this.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    440 times
    Prospecting
    Just put me and the rock on the scale
    Rock- 87 pounds
    Me- Not going to talk about it
    Thanks for the update. No real reason for you to talk about it. You have got some ideas here from others posting.
    Do not see many rock saws that can vice grip a 87lb. rock. You may have to do some drilling to reduce the size of rock for a rock saw.
    The idea if slabbing any sweet zones is a better way to make it sell as "Jewelry rock" (More then the going price of gold) as well as a keepsake for the family. Thanks again for sharing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links