OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576856.360115.jpg

Has this in it ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576908.115907.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507576929.459642.jpg

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The bad thing with this float rock the source may be long gone or can not be tracked down. The good side is you may be able to find more of the same type of float rocks. Maybe you can track down the source who knows for sure but start with all the clues this rock will give you to start with. Now crack that 'Puppy open'..........LOL.:laughing7:

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find man! Still have yet to find a specimen like that. Every time I get excited about a rock it ends up being just that. A rock lol, I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find man! Still have yet to find a specimen like that. Every time I get excited about a rock it ends up being just that. A rock lol, I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween.
Yes this is the way most people feel out there asking them self are they Charlie Brown again. Cracking the rock may give every one some thing to look forward too. However the use of a metal detector may be interesting as well.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My latest suggestion will put off the rock cracking by a week. Soak the rock for a week in water before putting in the campfire method. Hope everyone can wait an extra week for cracking open of the rock.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to investigate the inside while preserving the outside [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to investigate the inside while preserving the outside [emoji15]
A good idea as this one would hate to see you drill into something good. Any detector will work to a degree on this however use a gold detector with the smallest coil if you can. At least by using any detector you will likely miss drilling into something good.
The rock may be so hard that it is hard to drill with carbide don't know until you try. A diamond drill should work on just about any rock be sure to use water. This is the reason this one suggested the water soak and campfire with less control on how the rock could explode into pieces.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to ask is this the only rock like this so far you found. Was this the type of rock the gold miners where looking for? Maybe there is some more who knows.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the only piece that big. I'm pretty sure if the miners would have found it, they would have mined it [emoji12]

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping there is A LOT more!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FYI If you decide you want to slab it some retirement centers have lapidary equipment/diamond saws and may be willing to help you out.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI If you decide you want to slab it some retirement centers have lapidary equipment/diamond saws and may be willing to help you out.

Thanks, I did not know that.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea as some towns retirement centers have them. The cost may be as little as $40.00 - $70.00 for so many hours that you can use in a month to do cutting and polishing if you like. First try to find the sweet spots in the rock if you can. The slabs should look real cool and should sell for more then the louse gold will. Keep us posted.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the "Miners" where using explosives they may not have broken up all the ore rock to be able to see all the values. You can take the time if it is safe to look inside the rocks a little more. Just an idea as we out here have no idea what you may be looking at.

OP
OP
OregonGold76

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll let y'all know when I figure something out.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet spots.

I'll let y'all know when I figure something out.
Will not cost anything to ask for the use at your local towns retirement center for a better scale if you like to weigh the rock.
You still have to figure where the sweet spots are before slabbing up the rock. Maybe a diamond hole saw can be used however the center drill may wreck the sweet spot. If a magnetic base diamond hole saw machine is used then there is no center drill bit. Some rental centers will rent these out to use on the known sweet spots. Then just diamond blade slab saw the rest of the rock or break up if the rest of the sweet spots are small.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread