Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Geology degrees and knowledge.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1946 times
    Prospecting
    Mgumby16 said: As someone who went to college for geology i will say that most of what you are taught in undergraduate geology courses is big picture stuff. We did not have classes in undergrad that i would say specifically help with prospecting for gold.

That is an interesting perception that I would have to disagree with. Specifically one needs to understand what one is seeing in the field. Understanding geologic time plays a very important role in understanding what one encounters while prospecting/mining. Being able to identify the unique characteristics of deposition and deposits makes one more astute in the field. When reading mining data; and geologic data associated with known deposits the language used is most often associated with geologic terminology. In the field a person with general geologic undergrad studies has a great deal of perception capabilities. It is my belief that knowledge brings forth an understanding of what one sees while mining. To this day I have a few areas that are puzzling....but all "geological" writings have been dumbfounded as well. But after 30 years of working/mining I can contribute further geologic evidence to maybe advance the current findings; or lack thereof. I would offer that anyone mining would benefit from a single year of general geology studies without having to take advanced undergrad courses. That coupled with years of mining, will potentially offer big rewards. IMHO But knowledge is only useful if you utilize it and put effort into continued studies.

Bejay

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2478 times
    Prospecting
    Having spent 30+ years involved with the mining industry at a minesite, and, through questions and observations I learned a lot from friends who were Mining, Geological, Mechanical and Metallurgical Engineers as well as from Chemists about their fields and mine plant processes. Hind sight is 20 20 but I kinda wish I had chosen another profession other than Business Administration. I would have probably flunked out of their engineering programs though since I am color blind and that continues to hinder me in my own prospecting. It is a good thing that yellows are colors that I can identify. Funny thing about my friends though....only one of many pursued gold prospecting for his own benefit.
    Last edited by arizau; Apr 03, 2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Bejay, Clay Diggins and Aufisher like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    80 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I find myself bouncing between gold mining videos, geology videos, and identification sites. This website along with others keep my mind full of thoughts and information. I fully enjoy having my questions answered no matter how simple or mundane it may be. I'm glad there are so many members willing to put in their two cents into my memory bank
    loco oro likes this.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by blackchipjim View Post
    I find myself bouncing between gold mining videos, geology videos, and identification sites. This website along with others keep my mind full of thoughts and information. I fully enjoy having my questions answered no matter how simple or mundane it may be. I'm glad there are so many members willing to put in their two cents into my memory bank
    It is always a joy to talk to a newer member like your self that has this much interest in all types of prospecting / mining.

Say this one reads that you are in the Ohio State area. If you happen to read say in newspapers or maybe in the local court house anything about the "Part of the Northwest Territory which became the State of Ohio" would love to read anything you happen to come across. If you happen to talk to some one who knows a lot about this would like to hear about it. Thank you.

This was the experimental area for the development of the "Rectangular survey system" just in case you may not be aware of this.
    Last edited by Assembler; Apr 04, 2018 at 07:26 PM.

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    80 times
    Actually I was not aware of that part of ohio's history. Part of my research for metal detecting took me back to some old maps that could help me in locating better places to detect. I couldn't afford the reprints of them and Internet has its limitations. I will look in the local website for some info.

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    80 times
    Yeah I'm trying to recover from an operation I had last month. When I retire I want to be able to devote my winters in Arizona mining. Til then I have to settle for short vacations out there.

us
    What trail? I make my own

Mar 2018
    Washington
    43 times
    Prospecting
    Check the deposit information and see what people are pulling out. Lots of people drill, surface prospect and record but never get the mineral rights. The deposit pdf file if it has one will most likely breakdown everything in that area and give the percentages and chemical structure in the ground. Then just do your research and type in the minerals or chemical formulas you don't understand. I wish I was a Geo Nerd for the quick identification skills but that's about it.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by WaProspecting View Post
    Check the deposit information and see what people are pulling out. Lots of people drill, surface prospect and record but never get the mineral rights. The deposit pdf file if it has one will most likely breakdown everything in that area and give the percentages and chemical structure in the ground. Then just do your research and type in the minerals or chemical formulas you don't understand. I wish I was a Geo Nerd for the quick identification skills but that's about it.
    If you happen to come across "Plat" and "Legal significance of the Monument" information about 'Mineral rights' would love to look at.
    Geologists would be up on the sub-surface maps about the different types of mineral deposits.

us

Mar 2018
    Washington
    43 times
    Prospecting
    Usually I just use them for basic information on the area and get a generalization of what's in the ground. Then map the areas where I know is open because I rather not deal with any legal issues or the government (forgot to stick that in). But you can always check the Land Database website with the Section of the area you want to search. This will bring up everything that the land was used for in that Section like patients, homestead approvals, mill sites, old lode claims, cash sales, etc. I usually research if its open or call the department and give them the exact location I want to prospect (Can't hurt to try because all they can really do is say no or that you need a permit). Sometimes they will even go and check the location before giving you the go ahead to prospect. I just won't fully trust a Non profit website that isn't ran by the government because they won't have all the information you need to enjoy this hobby and why pay them for something you can call in about. On most websites you can see the claims but you can't see the small things in between like homes, property lines, patients, permits, land conservation areas, grazing areas, etc.

I usually go to the thediggings and the other websites to gather the information on claims/deposits then take this information and plug it into google to find the PDF Files. Then I map all the locations from each website to one map. I use the Land database to really break down the areas that are open and find out what people use the land for in that area. I have found full reports almost 20 pages long on whats below my feet and the percentage they calculated. Doesn't help that much with rockhounding but you can kinda take a guess off the chemical makeup. I would just call with the place you want to prospect and just ask if its open or if you need a permit before going. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by WaProspecting; Apr 05, 2018 at 09:42 AM.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4216 times
    My Land Matters Dot Com is the place to go for correct info on a area!

us

Mar 2018
    Washington
    43 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    My Land Matters Dot Com is the place to go for correct info on a area!
    That is just one place for information on active claims and it doesn't give you the small details I'm looking for. I always used Land matters and thediggings but that's mainly to see active claims and if the spot is open. With the website below you can research documents from the 1800's. It might not hold information on claims but it does provide survey and other information that you can use for your benefit. Some of the old survey documents actually hold the old mining sites in Plat Image (I found one that was from the 1890's that showed mining operations in a location that wasn't provided by any other website). You could also use this information in metal detecting because it provides locations of early homesteads and land grants that date back to the 1800's (With owners name). You would still need to call or do research before prospecting that area. Some states actually have a geology publication database that is ran by the government but you would have to do your research to see if your state has one.

glorecords.blm.gov

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9115 times
    Prospecting
    That is just one place for information on active claims and it doesn't give you the small details I'm looking for. I always used Land matters and thediggings but that's mainly to see active claims and if the spot is open. With the website below you can research documents from the 1800's. It might not hold information on claims but it does provide survey and other information that you can use for your benefit. Some of the old survey documents actually hold the old mining sites in Plat Image (I found one that was from the 1890's that showed mining operations in a location that wasn't provided by any other website). You could also use this information in metal detecting because it provides locations of early homesteads and land grants that date back to the 1800's (With owners name). You would still need to call or do research before prospecting that area. Some states actually have a geology publication database that is ran by the government but you would have to do your research to see if your state has one.

glorecords.blm.gov
    Actually WaProspecting Land Matters does offer mapping of mineral patents with links to the original plats, grants and surveys.

Unfortunately the only states where that mapping is available is on the California, Colorado and Arizona Mining Claims Maps. Those are the result of a pilot program that for the most part has gone unnoticed.

Land Matters has plans to provide mineral patent mapping as well as map access to all 6 million land patents throughout the United States. It's a very big project but it is doable.

Unfortunately we've gotten very little interest or support for expanding that function. With limited funds we try to work on the most requested features first. Although internally Land Matters considers easy access to patent information to be very important it's kinda simmering on the back burner until the public interest and funding create a priority.

You might also want to check out the "Special Surveys" layer found on all the Mining Claims and Land Status maps at Land Matters. That layer shows the bounds and survey number of all the irregular surveys. This includes mineral surveys whether or not they were ever taken to patent. Most of the Special Surveys in the Mining States were surveys for lode claims. This is information beyond just patented claims and includes all the registered mineral surveys. Very useful for the astute researcher.

Heavy Pans

us

Mar 2018
    Washington
    43 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Actually WaProspecting Land Matters does offer mapping of mineral patents with links to the original plats, grants and surveys.

Unfortunately the only states where that mapping is available is on the California, Colorado and Arizona Mining Claims Maps. Those are the result of a pilot program that for the most part has gone unnoticed.

Land Matters has plans to provide mineral patent mapping as well as map access to all 6 million land patents throughout the United States. It's a very big project but it is doable.

Unfortunately we've gotten very little interest or support for expanding that function. With limited funds we try to work on the most requested features first. Although internally Land Matters considers easy access to patent information to be very important it's kinda simmering on the back burner until the public interest and funding create a priority.

You might also want to check out the "Special Surveys" layer found on all the Mining Claims and Land Status maps at Land Matters. That layer shows the bounds and survey number of all the irregular surveys. This includes mineral surveys whether or not they were ever taken to patent. Most of the Special Surveys in the Mining States were surveys for lode claims. This is information beyond just patented claims and includes all the registered mineral surveys. Very useful for the astute researcher.

Heavy Pans
    I just rather use the government site for searching documents because they can at least map the info and the mapping system isn't a joke. Last time I used land matters it was actually frustrating to use ( I have to wait for the map to load almost every time... which is a joke right because its 2018?? and it looks like it was coded in the 1990s). No offence if you designed it but the site does need work before I start using it again especially for the little things. My research would take twice as long trying to get information from this site then it would from the government.

It's nice to see active claims but that's about it from the site. I also won't trust a non profit website for legal information because if you don't provide the right information its not like you get busted for it. I'm actually working on combining 4 websites into one and mapping all the active claims from this website to another map because I rather not deal with the mapping system on this site. I will also be able to post notes, geo reports, patents, private lands,grants, etc on the new map unlike this one. I took a basic geology course in college and this post was about learning. I was just stating if you do your own research and mapping you can actually learn quite a bit and you wouldn't need to waste money sitting in a classroom.
    Last edited by WaProspecting; Apr 07, 2018 at 09:00 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9115 times
    Prospecting
    I just rather use the government site for searching documents because they can at least map the info and the mapping system isn't a joke. Last time I used land matters it was actually frustrating to use ( I have to wait for the map to load almost every time... which is a joke right because its 2018?? and it looks like it was coded in the 1990s). No offence if you designed it but the site does need work before I start using it again especially for the little things. My research would take twice as long trying to get information from this site then it would from the government.

It's nice to see active claims but that's about it from this site. I also won't trust a non profit website for legal information because if you don't provide the right information its not like you get busted for it. I'm actually working on combining 4 websites into one and mapping all the active claims from this website to another map because I rather not deal with the mapping system on this site. I will also be able to post notes, geo reports, patents, private lands,grants, etc on the new map unlike this one.
    Yeah that's what I thought.

Well ... good luck to you ... and google
    gold tramp, arizau and Aufisher like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    9115 times
    Prospecting
    For those of you who have not experienced the great new mapping application at the General Land Office you can "map" HERE just like WaProspecting.

And HERE is the link to the BLM's new mapping application to replace the geocommunicator. Enjoy the freedom, speed and accuracy of government mapping at it's finest.

100s of millions of dollars worth of free government mapping at your fingertips. Heck you paid for it so you might as well enjoy the great systems your tax money built.

If you see any features on those maps you would like to see on Land Matters just let me know!

Heavy Irony
    Aufisher and ClaimStake like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links