A Great Coin

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought you all might like this coin. Disregard the California portion since they committed patricide. 20180417_145427.jpg
20180417_145445.jpg

Upvote 0

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you find that coin?

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Came from my dad's lifetime collection. I had never seen one before!

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1925 sorry the pics are blurry, might beyond any Dizzy help!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a California diamond jubilee half dollar...special commemorative coin struck for 75th anniversary of statehood. Google it if interested.

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some great info on Wikepedia

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....the Jubilee. Had one once in my collection when I was about 12yrs old. Traded some foreign junk coins for a Jubilee & an Indian head gold quarter eagle from a fiend whom only collected foreign coins. If I remember right the Jubilee may be worth a few sheckles over a lot of the commemoratives? You might wanna look it up....???? Thanks for bringing back the memories..........

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice share, thank you! I'd never seen one before, that Cali bear is one weird looking beast.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, can't remember ever seeing a grizzly bear in my neck of the woods recently! I heard they grew big and fat with no hibernation in the north bay area just a few hundred years ago!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, can't remember ever seeing a grizzly bear in my neck of the woods recently! I heard they grew big and fat with no hibernation in the north bay area just a few hundred years ago!

Very nice coin Aufisher. It harkens back to a time when mining and miners were celebrated in this state. As for the Grizz in your area I read recently there were so many upstream of the rattlesnake bar area on the North Fork American the Nisenan avoided living there for awhile.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just looked at a map of the original grizzly bear range in North America....All of Alaska, western half of Canada, a little more than half of the U.S. (only some territory east of the Mississippi) and tapering down into central Mexico. Reportedly, the last grizzly killed in Arizona was in the 1930's and Cali last legally hunted in 1922. Early Indians likely just defended themselves until they got firearms. Western settlement caused their decline (human and livestock safety concerns for the most part) along with that of wolves and mountain lions.

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Arizau! I bet one of those critters could wreck your day! Probably eat a black bear for a snack! 2200 lbs is the largest on record in California.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Arizau! I bet one of those critters could wreck your day! Probably eat a black bear for a snack! 2200 lbs is the largest on record in California.

Must have eaten a lot of salmon and had natives for dessert or vice versa.8-)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Cool Coin! I think I'm going to purchase one and have it incorporated into a bracelet!:skullflag:

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We gotta see that one when your done Terry!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin Aufisher. It harkens back to a time when mining and miners were celebrated in this state. As for the Grizz in your area I read recently there were so many upstream of the rattlesnake bar area on the North Fork American the Nisenan avoided living there for awhile.
I believe it. The samon run back in the day was probably something to behold. Salmon falls on the SF during the run would have been cool to see with Bear and tribe all competing for the catch!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a large population of black bears along the North Fork though the fire of ~ 2008 burned a lot of their home territory. In the 70's a bear was dumped there with a light colored gene so a good number of them are now brown to blond. Some, males & females, are really large. The females that were dumped in there from other places have taught their cubs that humans offer free food and that its at the end of a string tied to a tree! Also, do not zip your tent closed, if they can not just walk in and out they will open it another way leaving you with a lot of patching to do if you want to use it down there on that trip..........63bkpkr

Also, Calif Griz, would meet the residents of Half Moon bay at their doors so the residents took to shooting them.

Way up the NFAR in the area near where Wabena Creek enters the NFAR the river bed is so porous that the river dries up for about a mile. The Bears have learned this and are there waiting for the event as they are able to catch the trout in the shallow pools. Kinda similar but different to Salmon runs. When I first saw the left overs I was wondering why the bears would be using boulders along the dry stream bed as an outhouse. I caught on late one year up there as I was walking over pools full of spawning trout just below Royal Gorge Falls.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread