Going to South America to start a dredge gold mining operation and Im a newbie - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Going to South America to start a dredge gold mining operation and Im a newbie

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1453 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Some of the loss might be going home in the help's lunchpails. An awful lot of native silver did just that from the copper mines of the UP.

I'll +10 the suggestion to go with Gold Hog mats. And NO mercury unless properly retorted!
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Some of the loss might be going home in the help's lunchpails. An awful lot of native silver did just that from the copper mines of the UP.

I'll +10 the suggestion to go with Gold Hog mats. And NO mercury unless properly retorted!
    Mats of some type are a good idea as you know it works everywhere.

May 2018
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    The best advice I can give you is make sure your equipment is in top notch shape and have spare parts. Also be ready to be exposed to things that can make you ill fast and be equipped to deal with such issues. If you, or the equipment, does not function well you will struggle. Make sure you have good ground to work and be ready to find good ground if you are not seeing gold.....don't always blame the setup or equipment. Sluice angle and water flow are key issues tho. Good luck with your venture!

Bejay
    Yup. Will have spare pump and motor on hand.

Will get shots for down there before i go.

A modern town is just an hour away or less even.

Will have ground tested before starting.

Yup, biggest ones for how we will be doing things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post

Pretty hard. Most is fines and the nuggets are found in sluice. Besides that mine owner is always on site or the land owner is to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembler View Post
    Mats of some type are a good idea as you know it works everywhere.
    Mats of some type. Can you elaborate please.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    444 times
    Prospecting
    Gold Hag mats are excellent to use for recovery.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6771 times
    Metal Detecting
    The rules here for posting are to treat everything as if it were Gospel, and if a story is an obvious fabrication, one should not say anything, just let it slide. So in this case, I won't say anything, just wish you well in your fantastic endeavor.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3746 times
    I would make sure that your "friend" is honest because there are a lot of operations going on down there long after the equipment owners and their equipment have mysteriously disappeared. I've had a number of friends that people tried to scam in to coming down there with their own equipment that later found out after being warned, that they were destined to never be seen again after they got everything up and running with their "friend"...
    goldenmojo likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11935 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    try running the beginning of the sluice as a two stage to catch fines.

Have a coarse trap with bigger riffles closer together.. after the fine recovery section so, the turbulence doesn't affect fine recovery.

Not knowing how the feed material is prescreened or its size... it sounds like an over feeding issue on recovery that isn't exchanging properly.

Running less material over more time might actually improve recovery.

Nuggets at the end of a sluice is BAD BAD BAD..... but, can easily be fixed.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4707 times
    Prospecting
    Along the lines of Reed's advice if the locals are only concerned in making enough gold to go party it off you well could become the new source of phosphorus for some tropical plant blooms if successful. Semper Vigilantis.

May 2018
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    The rules here for posting are to treat everything as if it were Gospel, and if a story is an obvious fabrication, one should not say anything, just let it slide. So in this case, I won't say anything, just wish you well in your fantastic endeavor.
    Hmm, not sure what to take from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Lukens View Post
    I would make sure that your "friend" is honest because there are a lot of operations going on down there long after the equipment owners and their equipment have mysteriously disappeared. I've had a number of friends that people tried to scam in to coming down there with their own equipment that later found out after being warned, that they were destined to never be seen again after they got everything up and running with their "friend"...
    Yes sir. Have known him since 2004 and his boy is staying here and going to school with my kids, plus he is putting capital in also.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    try running the beginning of the sluice as a two stage to catch fines.

Have a coarse trap with bigger riffles closer together.. after the fine recovery section so, the turbulence doesn't affect fine recovery.

Not knowing how the feed material is prescreened or its size... it sounds like an over feeding issue on recovery that isn't exchanging properly.

Running less material over more time might actually improve recovery.

Nuggets at the end of a sluice is BAD BAD BAD..... but, can easily be fixed.
    Biggest problem is they are over feeding the current sluice design i do believe

Quote Originally Posted by goldenmojo View Post
    Along the lines of Reed's advice if the locals are only concerned in making enough gold to go party it off you well could become the new source of phosphorus for some tropical plant blooms if successful. Semper Vigilantis.
    Thanks!

Semper Paratus
    Reed Lukens likes this.

in
    May 2019
    1 times
    The best way is leact the ore then load the gold with carbon then disrobe the gold from carbon and recover with electrowinning . The process is very simple and recovery id 100% with very less input and time

Mar 2016
    3023 times
    I believe the guy was placer mining.
    This is an old thread, I wonder how the adventure worked out.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Nov 2014
    Sevierville, TN
    Whites Spectrum V3i
    14 times
    watch the locals. I panned in Panama in the Darein. what saved me from getting my stuff taken I bought the gold from the locals.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4447 times
    If they are losing that amount of gold , I'd seriously consider looking into a form of nugget trap to be installed on the upper end of the sluice. I cant believe that they are knowingly allowing gold to be allowed to escape the sluice in the tailings??

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rolandslone View Post
    watch the locals. I panned in Panama in the Darein. what saved me from getting my stuff taken I bought the gold from the locals.
    unless a gringo is viewed as being - in some manner - useful, they are a target
    I share info/technology, speak the lingo, have experience/stories, bring some food to the camp (mandatory), am with a local, etc.
    and am welcome even with those who have been shafted by . . . .

lots of opportunities to be a gold buyer as the local price is less than 3/4 spot - and pure weight only (wanna sell your 2 oz nugget for 3/4 spot ?)
    there used to be gringo buyers on the Osa, no more; one cannot buy w/o being known = assault coming, standby
    raw gold runs ~92%, very old/leached placer gold

I am kinda with Kray on this one, take some photos to convince me

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5934 times
    Prospecting
    Bill, my sister and her husband live near Puerto Jiminez. Never had
    the chance to go there, but she's sent me movies of the surrounding
    area...what an awesome place to live (if you don't mind big-assed
    spiders, snakes that wanna kill ya, etc.).
    BillA likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links