My Land Matters and claimed areas for AZ trip

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone -

I am working on planning a trip to AZ this winter, and I am attempting to figure out My Land Matters claim map of AZ. I am from the East Coast so i have no experience dealing with claims.

My main question is on My Land Matters you have the quads that show areas that have active mineral claims, now one quad may show in the center something like 9 placer. Im taking that that means that there are 9 active placer claims in that quad. How do you figure out exactly what areas of that quad are covered by those 9 placer claims?

Then there area quads that appear to have no active claims. How do i make sure that these quads are open to prospecting and not private land or closed to prospecting in some manner?

I realize that the easiest thing to do would probably be to join the GPAA or some other club, however i do like to venture off the beaten path, and may at some point in the future move out west so i think it would be good to get better handle on the claim system.

Thanks for the help!!

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zoom in...click on plss and land manager.

Click th info tool "i" in the side bar... click on the section. Take notes on the serial numbers.

Now you have to pull the file at the county and look at the map /land description for the claims in that area.

Now you can make a map of the claims in the area and should be able to see what is left open.

be prepared to come across over laps and over filing...AVOID AVOID AVOID

you will have to pull up the master title plat too see if unclaimed open public lands are open to claiming.

I actually think joining a club is a great way to hit an area and at least have a spot you know is open to you. Scout it more in depth. take pictures of claims signs with serial numbers.

You can research the club claim and adjacent claims. as a form of "study" Also meet other people that may have claims, know the area ..and areas open in it.

be aware there are state trust lands where getting a lease to prospect is not easy. And you need a permit to even camp hike or travel on it.

Hope this helps a little

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Goldwasher.

Im guessing the for the county information they dont have that availaible online and that you have to actually go to the County Seat to get map/land descriptions of the claims?

Where is the master title plat tool?

Can you metal detect for nuggets on areas that are lode claims?

I will most likely be joining a club to help make the trip a little easier.

Thanks for your input,

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you are going, you may not find a bunch of open gold bearing land and joining the right club can make the difference. GPAA and LDMA are both good clubs with some claims but the Roadrunners are worth joining being that they have some great claims already. Then after you get there, get some time in and have you're boots set firmly in an area, go file on or buy the claim that you know will produce.
https://roadrunnergold.com

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was and still am researching areas in Arizona. Cross check between land matters and the diggings. There is a lot to research and it does take time and effort. I found myself in an area where I couldn't find any claim posts but there were claims in the area. When I go back at the end of November I will have a little more knowledge .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread