I'm working on an auto panner, will it destroy the gold?

OP
OP
S

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
darn miss spellings. ment to write " milled finner by the heavy sands around it. a friend told me about a guy who used a metal plate in his sluice with slots cut to catch the gold. the plate was vibrated and the guy caught more gold per yard run than another guy using a trommel mining the same claim another question when you shake the pay gravel in water how fast does the gold settle out from the lite stuff?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
using a motorized pan recipricating at what speed but say at least 4 stroked per second will gold that settles be milled finer my the heavy sands around it?

I doubt it since in a sand slurry. Sharp edges of gold may be rounded/dulled slightly due to it's malleability. Or if there is a weak connection between two ends those pieces may break apart. I would say those are exceptions not the rule.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How fast does gold settle?
It depends.

Density, size and shape of the rest of the material each play a factor in sorting speed. You’ll have to run tests with YOUR material.

Remember that gold will move fastest when all the particles are the same size so classify, classify.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is relatively soft and will be flattened rather than fractured. I doubt the gold will be subject to abrasion long enough to cause it to break apart and be lost. Vibration in the sluice is beneficial because the black sands are cubical in form and tend to pack together. agitation keeps everything fluid

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just for grins get a couple of vials and put some gold in them, fill one with water and the other with baby oil.

EDIT: Been asked why baby oil....I'd be spoiling the fun if I told ya...just try it and tip the vial upside down like a snowglobe....

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a picture of this reciprocating automatic gold panning machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions