Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have a Gold Buddy Magnum hand dredge, the PVC kind that looks kinda like a bicycle pump. My question is how do you secure the end caps so that they don't come off the unit while in operation? Glue is not an option because you have to get the caps off for maintenance and to empty the sand and gravel. I need them to stay on, no matter what, until I get ready to take them off.

Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, I have a Gold Buddy Magnum hand dredge, the PVC kind that looks kinda like a bicycle pump. My question is how do you secure the end caps so that they don't come off the unit while in operation? Glue is not an option because you have to get the caps off for maintenance and to empty the sand and gravel. I need them to stay on, no matter what, until I get ready to take them off.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb screws through the caps? A dab or two of glue on the barrel (let it dry) may create a little bulge and create a tighter fit. If that is too tight then sand them down.

Last edited:

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drilled an 1/8 inch hole through the upper and put a metal cloths hanger piece through it, 45 degree bend on one end and just bend down the other end by hand easy on easy off, 1 wrap of electric tape makes for a tight fit on the lower end of the gold buddy.

Carl

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't use an end cap! Suck the material up and quickly discharge the material into a container ( a restaurant dish lug works great.....as it is low sided). Suck...lift...shoot/discharge!

Bejay

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't use an end cap! Suck the material up and quickly discharge the material into a container ( a restaurant dish lug works great.....as it is low sided). Suck...lift...shoot/discharge!

Bejay

Bejay, I tried mine without the end cap and kept pulling the plunger out the end lol.

Carl

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bejay, I tried mine without the end cap and kept pulling the plunger out the end lol.

Carl

I imagine the length of the tube and ones "pull length" are relevant. I use what is termed a ghost shrimp suction gun. About 40 years ago I realized it would work to suck up crevices in water. They are commercially made and sold at Oregon coastal hardware and retail dept stores. They sell for about $18 and utilize a rubber ball squished between two washers and nuts on some threaded stock fitted into some PVC innards. Almost all of my mining friends have come to use them over the years. I will see if I can find the link to them and post it here.

http://shrimpguns.com/shrimp-guns/

Bejay

Last edited:

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine the length of the tube and ones "pull length" are relevant. I use what is termed a ghost shrimp suction gun. About 40 years ago I realized it would work to suck up crevices in water. They are commercially made and sold at Oregon coastal hardware and retail dept stores. They sell for about $18 and utilize a rubber ball squished between two washers and nuts on some threaded stock fitted into some PVC innards. Almost all of my mining friends have come to use them over the years. I will see if I can find the link to them and post it here.

Shrimp Guns

Bejay

yep, would be much harder to pull out with length like that lol.

Carl

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About 40 years ago I bought a back pack 2 inch dredge. I wanted to get up into some remote areas of a drainage I new had gold. That said; I had to pack tools and fuel along with the dredge that was a single unit back pack set up. After a few excursions and moving from here to there I thought of my shrimp gun and decided to use it instead of packing the dredge unit all over the place. It worked extremely well and I found a lot of gold....some days I brought out more gold using the shrimp gun than I did running a 4 inch dredge. The secret to using the suck and shoot method is to NOT USE a High Sided container to receive the material you shoot from the tube......as it wants to fall out as you are lifting the tube up out of the water. So you learn to use a very low sided square container and you learn to suck and shoot quickly. I have set up sluices in the creek and shot right into the sluice......and it performs equally to a small 2 inch dredge at times.

A Canadian friend of mine, who had a major claim operation in BC, was often out in the bush and would find old miners cabins in extremely remote areas. I gave him a shrimp gun and showed him how to use it. Thus he could get back into places and use the shrimp gun. He also found a lot of gold....as dredging was not allowed and the remoteness proved valuable for the gun.

Bejay

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the ole sucking up and blowing it out into a 5 gallon bucket. When I've finished cleaning out the area I pull the handle and seal out.I then put one hand over one end and the other over the tip, putting water in and shaking it. I pour the water and material into the bucket and repeat until no more material comes out. Get all of the gold that way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread