Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Setting a sluice in a small stream and leaving it.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4688 times
    Prospecting
    Watersteps. I don’t think you are going to have enough catch space with a sluice. Your only hope on something like this would be a big piece of carpet Lain sideways across your catch area. The area would have to have enough flow to move flood gold but not so much as to move larger cobble. You would have to stake the carpet with something like masonry stakes at a fairly steep angle on the corners puncturing the carpet twice with the same stake. If you knew there was a lot of flood gold coming down the river or creek it would be a viable experiment. There is no way you will recoup any costs on this project with your gold take unless you can get your materials for free and pedal a bike to the location. I can think of a couple of places where it might actually work but cleaning a large carpet and processing would be horrendous. Stick to learning how to pan and go where gold actually is. Good Luck. Take Pics.
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    715 times
    Jason and the golden fleece...a natural sheepskin has lanolin in it and will catch the fine gold...if that much flood gold actually comes down the creek.
    davin likes this.

Apr 2017
    northern calif
    Garrett at gold
    37 times
    Prospecting
    Know a guy, during drought many years ago in plumas county that poured concrete rifles behind his house on his land on a gold bearing creek. He said it would be his retirement account when he dug it up years later . He hasn't retired yet but would love to know what he gets when he does.The rifles got buried during first winter rain 20 +years ago.
    Last edited by mattt; May 02, 2019 at 08:20 PM.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    Fisher CZ-7, Mine Lab, Bounty Hunter, Garrett AT Pro
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The stream is about 100 yards from my home, and I own the property on both sides of the stream. The sluice will be home made and cost very little to build. I am trying to decide on the best type of matting without having to buy any.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    Now today as I'm working on placing a sluice in this stream I think back a year or so and I believe I made a huge mistake. One day while walking along the stream I noticed a 16' drain pipe lying in the stream. The pipe had a 12" OD and was corrugated or ribbed. I talked to my neighbor and he said it was his drive way drain pipe that the state dug out and pushed into this stream. That was like 10 years ago. The following year I hooked a cable to my tractor and pulled the pipe out of the stream and drug it up to my workshop. My plan was to use this for my own driveway but it did not work out.
    Now if your thinking ahead you already know what I'm going to say next. The pipe was in the stream with water running through it for years, the pipe is ribbed and it is half full of dirt, gravel and stones.
    I believe this was a natural sluice system, now all I have to do is take the dirt out of the pipe and pan it. Right? Wrong, I already dumped most of it in my lower field and around the workshop, dumb, dumb, dumb.
    I will be checking the ribs today and try to find some remaining dirt and try to pan it.
    I will let everyone know what happens.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    Well after checking the pipe I find that it is empty or no dirt lying in the ribs. I used it for a drag to level ground and it must have rolled the dirt out.
    I will go back to building my sluice now.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1343 times
    If I could set a sluice that the waves wouldn't destroy, I could probably do quite well. That Superior coastline is a conveyor belt between Grand Maris and Whitefish Point. Get a good alongshore current going, and it will move stuff fast.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    OK, I have finished my home made sluice, can I post pictures and the explanation in this thread or should it be posted in another area?

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2847 times
    Prospecting
    For background of previous posts on the subject at hand, do it here.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    EQ 800
    1585 times
    While talking to my neighbor, he told a story of loggers dropping logs into the E Fork of Lewis river up by Dole valley during low water and then coming back to dig out the accumlated finds in the summer hoping for gold.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3704 times
    used to be plans online about 10+ years ago that were made of angle iron, sheet metal bottom and the large 4lb expanded mesh
    with some sort of mating, if I remember they looked like 16"x24". probably heavy, then they were bolted to the bedrock
    they would have to be on the gold line of winter water levels. come back in the spring and get the gold...
    Last edited by winners58; May 12, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    I have attached some pictures of my home made sluice.
    I started with a piece of heavy aluminum contractors flashing 24” X 36”. I bent 2, 6” - 90 degree sides on the 24” width, this gives me a 12” shoot with 6” high sides.
    I next cut an old aluminum door threshold and cut in half long wise to use for the riffle frame. I purchased a piece 1/2” aluminum angle 6’ long, I cut this piece into 6, 11 1/2” pieces and notched each end to fit under the threshold pieces. I spaced these pieces 7” apart except for the last piece a spaced at 4” and pop riveted them together.
    Next I took some old galvanized angles that came from a very cheap storage shelving and bent them over the 6” sides to make them stronger.
    I purchased a 12” x 36” piece of miners moss and laid that in the sluice and placed the riffle frame on top of it. I drilled 4 holes so I could bolt the riffle frame to the sluice and hold down the moss.
    Now this ain’t real pretty but in only cost me $21.00 to build.
    I am sure that if I snag any gold it will be very fine so I didn’t add any expanded metal on top of the moss. That may be a mistake, but that remains to be seen.
    It turned out to be stronger then I thought it would and should hold up well.
    Next I will take it down to the stream on my property and anchor it down for a week or two and see what happens.
    I will takes some pictures of the sluice in the stream.
    The last photo shows the sluice after it painted camo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8336.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	948.7 KB 
ID:	1711947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8339.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1,012.9 KB 
ID:	1711948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8338.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	956.8 KB 
ID:	1711949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8340.JPG 
Size:	854.4 KB 
ID:	1711950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8341.JPG 
Size:	980.5 KB 
ID:	1711951  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8343.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	1711953  

us
    Oct 2009
    7273 times
    Not going to work. Those "riffles in a creek" stories are just that.... stories.

Think about it for a moment. If you wanted to use that sluice to capture gold, you would find the perfect gold drop-out location, set up sluice with the perfect angle, probably set up a wingdam to get the flow just right... THEN you would start shoveling, and classifying and running that material through the sluice. You;d do that for hour after hour in the HOPES of catching some good gold. You would be moving yards of material through the box.

How is your plan comparable? You're going to stake this sluice into a stream and walk away.... How is the gold bearing material going to get UP out of its rocky prison to flow through your sluice? If there is enough water flow during spring storms or snow melt to churn up the bottom, one of 2 things will happen. The box will be ripped out, pulverized and washed downstream. OR the box will simply become buried in rocks and sediment. If you can dig it out later, it will only contain the same ration of gold as the other material outside the box.

us
    watersteps

Mar 2019
    Potter County, PA.
    28 times
    When it rains this stream turns into a raging water flow that moves 3 and 4 inch rocks down the stream. It rains several times each month and the stream changes in depth and width. Hey I'm having fun and who knows what I will find.
    Duckshot likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11593 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molewacker View Post
    While talking to my neighbor, he told a story of loggers dropping logs into the E Fork of Lewis river up by Dole valley during low water and then coming back to dig out the accumlated finds in the summer hoping for gold.
    More like hoping to find logs...cause they are way way down stream now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links