Dredging in Alaska Video

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice! Thanks for posting. :)

Brian93436

Jan 26, 2008
Lompoc
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

Thanks for sharing the Vid. Looks a might bit chilly up there in the snowmelt. Geez... and I thought the Kern River was chilly. LOL

I noticed the dredge was really pushing the water quite fast through the sluice. Is that how how fast the water in a hand sluice should flow as well? I have heard there is a preferred flowrate (sweet spot per say), but I am concerned about losing gold over the edge of the sluice when there is a high flowrate.

Take care, Brian

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brain a dredge and sluice box have two different 'needs'...
First he has a big un (6" dredge) and he needs plenty of power to suck up the gravel form the river bed! So no a normal sluice box should not need so much water.

What sluice do you have? I have a rule of the (prescreened) material should be trough in about say 5-10 secs it really depends on the material your running some has higher % of black sand this should be slower for better separation. Experiment and see what works for you.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Thanks guys. it was a fun shoot. What always amazes me is how a half day of recording gets cut down to less than 5 minutes of video.

Steve Herschbach

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread