Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It streaks light grey/silver and won't scratch a knife. Did some searching last night and the only two nonferrous and magnetic metals I found were nickel and cobalt. Do either of those come out Green heavy rock? Also this mine is old, like before 1900 old and the ore doesn't sound the falcon as ferrous or nonferrous this stuff is just loose in the tailings. Would someone of dug a couple hundred foot mine shaft looking for nickel or cobalt in those days? This mine has us stumped.

tahoemyst

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here. Having problems posting although I'm sure it's me. This is part of a larger rock found outside Las Vegas. Any thoughts would be appreciated. IMG_20180322_163449289.jpg

tahoemyst

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can scratch the crystal looking part with my fingernail. What is evaporite?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It streaks light grey/silver and won't scratch a knife. Did some searching last night and the only two nonferrous and magnetic metals I found were nickel and cobalt. Do either of those come out Green heavy rock? Also this mine is old, like before 1900 old and the ore doesn't sound the falcon as ferrous or nonferrous this stuff is just loose in the tailings. Would someone of dug a couple hundred foot mine shaft looking for nickel or cobalt in those days? This mine has us stumped.

You're not looking for metals; but minerals. So (metallic) nickel/cobalt is heavily misleading.
My best guess is Pyrrhotite, although usually it has a different color, I'd speculate that might be due to oxidization.

As for the mine; get some knowledgeable help. 'Green rock' isn't vaguely specific enough to even speculate in the wildest manner.
Such things are best examined in person. A geologist, prospector, or even rock club might be helpful and can sometimes be found locally!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can scratch the crystal looking part with my fingernail. What is evaporite?

Gypsum. Evaporite is a field-term I use in geology to describe things that form as water evaporates; i.e. things that were dissolved in the water..

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
663BB174-81E1-4402-B5EA-96EDB0944B45.jpeg

Buddies mom just said hey I got a rock to check with that falcon thingy. Trying to figure out where the hell she got it lol.

megara

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help with my beloved river rock?

Hi there! I’ve had this rock since I was in elementary school. I was told it’s a river rock, but I’d love any more information that you could share. It seems to be a softer rock because it does have have a few cracks in it. I acquired it about twenty years ago and it has travelled with me everywhere I’ve gone. It has some medium and dark brown areas with these distinctive white layers. Thank you!

image.jpg image.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there! I’ve had this rock since I was in elementary school. I was told it’s a river rock, but I’d love any more information that you could share. It seems to be a softer rock because it does have have a few cracks in it. I acquired it about twenty years ago and it has travelled with me everywhere I’ve gone. It has some medium and dark brown areas with these distinctive white layers. Thank you!

View attachment 1569023 View attachment 1569024

Polished rocks are among the most difficult to ID.
So, take with a barrel (rather then a pinch) of salt: Chalcedony.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your response. Would you think maybe Sardonyx?

I won't be that specific solely from a picture; chalcedony is as specific of a guess I'd be willing to make.
If a proper and exact ID is required, a professional has to see it in person.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Falcon MD20 is saying it nonferrous so it's not pyrite. It's really heavy, thinking it has to be gold.

Do the tests if you want a better guess. Other minerals, like gold, can be disseminated in pyrite. In a way, the pyrite is thus the host of the gold.
So the falcon can be reacting to something inside the pyrite.

Judyneed

Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible meteorite? Strong attraction to magnet, fusion crust, heavy. The last pic shows where I tried cutting a piece off, but was not able to. I destroyed 2 haxsaws trying to cut off that nub. 20180404_172027.jpg 20180404_175201.jpg 20180404_173428.jpg p 20180329_100921.jpg 20180125_100114_Film1.jpg

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Put The Hacksaw Away! If you do have a meteorite, the damage you do with the wrong tools WILL decrease the potential value.

My opinion on this rock will be similar to my opinion on your other rock. I doubt it is a meteorite.

Back to the tools. If you want to see what is inside, take your suspect rocks to a local lapidary club or shop. A rockhounding club might work, too. Have them slice a quarter inch thick piece from the main stone, and polish both faces. The widmanstatten pattern present in many irony meteorites will show, even without acid etching. Once polished, it will be much easier for a qualified professional to evaluate the stone.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Possible meteorite? Strong attraction to magnet, fusion crust, heavy. The last pic shows where I tried cutting a piece off, but was not able to. I destroyed 2 haxsaws trying to cut off that nub. View attachment 1573810 View attachment 1573811 View attachment 1573813 p View attachment 1573814 View attachment 1573815

Probably just a mafic rock; I think I see some plagioclase in there. Pyroxenite, diabase or something along those lines.
Magnetic due to inclusions of magnetite.

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg
Found a big patch of this down the hill from the patch or red/orange Jasper, is it Jasper also?

image.jpeg
The little white looking round pieces in this stuff have a blue tint in the sunlight?

image.jpeg
This thing is driving my Falcon MD20 nuts. What in the hell is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread