Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it! Top one might be chalcedony, they're related.

Found an area of forest road that's completely covered with the stuff. Grabbed a bunch and brought it home. Some of it is mixed with chalcedony for sure and some of it has that orange colored mineral in it that I don't know what is. The stuff has little pockets that look like the inside of geodes also. What's that all about?

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found an area of forest road that's completely covered with the stuff. Grabbed a bunch and brought it home. Some of it is mixed with chalcedony for sure and some of it has that orange colored mineral in it that I don't know what is. The stuff has little pockets that look like the inside of geodes also. What's that all about?

Orange stuff is likely orange chalcedony. Note, though, Jasper IS a variety of chalcedony.
Looks like you stumbled across some low-temperature hydrothermal deposits.

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orange stuff is likely orange chalcedony. Note, though, Jasper IS a variety of chalcedony.
Looks like you stumbled across some low-temperature hydrothermal deposits.

Makes sense, the area is known for galena. Might have to go back and look for good chunks to break open and get get into polishing. Did a little research and these pieces can be quite beautiful.

Danno1957

Mar 12, 2018
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this rock while hiking in Montana, not sure what it is and what the metal may be.
BB Rock 1.jpg
BB Rock 2.jpg
BB Rock 3.jpg

amizengo

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have these rocks and a ball like rock.what is it?
thank you.

Attachments

• archive.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 30

Danno1957

Mar 12, 2018
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It did smell a bit like garlic when breaking the rock. Anyway, it's enough to get you heart pumping when you see something shinny in a rock, lol

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It did smell a bit like garlic when breaking the rock. Anyway, it's enough to get you heart pumping when you see something shinny in a rock, lol

Could be arsenopyrite then, as suggested by someone else.

Mar 17, 2018
Mt Rainier WA
Detector(s) used
I'm a broke a** dude using only my eyes.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found an old road-stone quarry in the mountains near Mt Rainier. The one day I dedicated to only shooting with my buddies turned into dragging a small sample out of the hills. My assumption as to what I found is that it is the decomposing gossans at the top of an epithermal vein. The part of the hill I pulled this from has been under overburden for a long time, but has been exposed since the quarrying, which interestingly enough only barely did not make it to the vein material. (Lucky for me years down the road?) I followed the heavy red staining and yellow/white sulfuric dirt up the hill to the current dirt and tree line, where it disappears underneath it. I intend on going back to get samples from deeper than just the very surface, I pulled these out with my bare hands while setting up targets when I happened to notice what I could be standing over. There are also some places I've identified through satellite images on the same cluster of mountains where there is either sulfur staining, iron staining, or both.

Photo062.jpg

My question is, before I go back, about how right am I on this? And the small circular stone in the upper left, what is it? It's very light gray, and very light, though it has thin quartz veins sticking out of it. I was guessing shale, but it was definitely part of the vein-structure.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found an old road-stone quarry in the mountains near Mt Rainier. The one day I dedicated to only shooting with my buddies turned into dragging a small sample out of the hills. My assumption as to what I found is that it is the decomposing gossans at the top of an epithermal vein. The part of the hill I pulled this from has been under overburden for a long time, but has been exposed since the quarrying, which interestingly enough only barely did not make it to the vein material. (Lucky for me years down the road?) I followed the heavy red staining and yellow/white sulfuric dirt up the hill to the current dirt and tree line, where it disappears underneath it. I intend on going back to get samples from deeper than just the very surface, I pulled these out with my bare hands while setting up targets when I happened to notice what I could be standing over. There are also some places I've identified through satellite images on the same cluster of mountains where there is either sulfur staining, iron staining, or both.

View attachment 1565525

My question is, before I go back, about how right am I on this? And the small circular stone in the upper left, what is it? It's very light gray, and very light, though it has thin quartz veins sticking out of it. I was guessing shale, but it was definitely part of the vein-structure.

Well, hydrothermal at least. Quality of pic isn't good enough to ID the rock on the upper left.

tahoemyst

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am new here and probably not posting this correctly. I came across a rock in the desert of Southern Nevada. Here is a small piece of it. I'm clueless. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_20180322_163449289.jpg

Smokehouse_83

Jan 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Found in old green rock mine tailings. It's magnetic and nonferrous. The Falcon Md20 sounds going towards it. What is this stuff?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I am new here and probably not posting this correctly. I came across a rock in the desert of Southern Nevada. Here is a small piece of it. I'm clueless. Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 1567888

Will a knife scratch it? If yes, likely an evaporite, gypsum or the likes. If not, possibly quartz. Hard to tell from pic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions