Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

theblade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a couple notes about the rocks I posted above after reading some more on this thread. I wasn’t sure at the time when I chipping away at these what the smell was but I assume now after reading it was sulfur. As I was chipping away at the clay/Rock as a shovel did nothing to it, if I wacked a big piece it would smell in the hole I dug. Very strong smell for one decent hit on a rock so I do believe there’s a lot of sulfur in the area. Also, some of the rocks have been almost impossible to break as they look to be much more smooshed up. Very technical term.

This area is also a wooded area and in particular found where some trees used to be so a lot of roots run through and some seem to run right through the rocks and are why they have broken into more manageable sizes. There is no creek around to pan to help identify if there’s gold in the area unfortunately. There is a little area about 100 feet away that water runs down to and its created a sort of drainage ditch. It’s not “new” but I don’t know if it’s been around long enough to hold much gold. There is one area about 15 feet downstream from it where a tree had fallen over and there is a good 2-3 foot hole on the “bank” of this runoff area. I assume from when that tree fell which was at least several years ago. My thought was that if that little runoff area did have any gold, even if it was just loosened from the surrounding dirt, that digging that hole down to rock would probably be the best area? if I get down a foot or two and hit that same white clay, any loose gold that migrated to that area I assume would not go down very deep at all in to that clay correct?

The clay has a lot of silica in it. Once washed out and everything removed it’s almost like sand. I live in Union County and I know the Howie mine nearby had most of its gold in the same type of clay/dirt.

Lastly, in trying to figure out the rock layout of the area the best I can from the surface observations and hole I dug I am trying to see what other clues to look for. I’ve seen a lot on here about the mineralizations and sulfur and pyrite etc...so I definitely think the area has potential. But this isn’t an open rock face wall I can see the geology of and narrow down a smaller section to work. I’ve seen to look for vertically oriented rocks. I assume that’s from some sort of magma or whatever intrusion that pushed up into the existing rocks and imbedded the minerals? If these rocks are all underground, can i look for similar clues? Because while digging some of these are oriented parallel to the surface but are maybe 6 inches deep. But after going down a little deeper, more of the big rock was more perpendicular. Instead of hitting a big flat surface I could easily pry up, I’d hit the tip of a rock and have to dig all around and deeper to finally wiggle it out. Just wondering if that would be a similar sign of geologic processes to clue me into the better areas and rocks. Because the hole I dug was maybe 4 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep and I have gathered more than a wheel barrel full of rock ranging from golfball to football and bigger. So there’s no way for me to efficiently process what I’ve found so i want to find where to focus on and go from there.

Sorry for the long ramble. The more I read the more potential I think the area has and I want to try and answer as many questions about the area that you may have.

Thanks again for any input! I have learned more from this thread alone than everything else I’ve ever done, read, watched etc....all combined. I just wish you lived near me! :)

Last edited:

analogkid

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Outlaw! The Son of Bandido!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click or clack, I'll give it a crack:

Found this NE Pennsylvania, just outside Wilkes-Barre and near Scranton. About 9 x 4 x 3 but it is pretty hefty at 12 plus pounds. I think I know what it is. What do you think?

irons5.jpg

AK

ThermoCat

Apr 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@StreamlineGold Thanks for the feedback man! thought I'd share some more pictures of the area. Would this kind of formation be associated with the presence of gold?
0000.jpg 0001.jpg 0002.jpg 0003.jpg 0004.jpg 0005.jpg 0006.jpg 0007.jpg 0008.jpg 0010.jpg 0011.jpg 0013.jpg 0014.jpg 0015.jpg 0016.jpg

Last edited:

craftyheidi

Jun 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180619_102400 (1).jpg 20180619_103738.jpg 20180619_103705.jpg
My daughter found this in the back yard and is very curious as to what it is called

NewVisitor

Jun 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. I found this post from a google search, but after seeing some of the incredible rocks so many of you have posted, I'm quite humbled and actually a bit embarrassed to ask my question. Nonetheless, here it is. Any ideas? I can't recall where exactly it was found (it was a few months ago). At first, I thought (please keep in mind I'm an absolute newbie), "Oh, cool! Maybe this layer is obsidian!" I promptly showed my 3 year old and told him that it was probably a record of a volcanic eruption.

When we got home, I took out some tools and tried testing my guess by shattering/splintering some of the obsidian off. I have other pieces of obsidian, and well, this does not seem to be it. Does not behave at all the same.

So, any ideas? What is this mystery black band passing straight through this (unknown) rock's history?

20180610_104608.jpg
20180610_104558.jpg

Thank you!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted this in the what is it thread as well and they suggested I come post in the gold section too. I’m new to the forum and after seeing this thread had 194 pages I decided it led probably be quicker to just post so sorry if these types have been posted before.

I live in the slate belt in NC around ALOT of gold mines and grew up panning for gold with my dad. We never found more than sand size pieces of gold and it was always more of a father son thing to do.

Those memories have never left me and even though I haven’t panned in years I always pickup interesting rocks and things. Recently I found an area with rocks not as typical around. There’s obviously a lot of slate and clay in these areas as well but this area seems to be a melting pot of every rock and geologic formation that exists in these parts. The deeper I dig the bigger and more interesting the rocks get. I could only get so many and did not have a lot of time but the clay(?) I think is what it is, that these are trapped in is almost like rock itself. It’s littered with Little Rock’s and is mineral stained. The bigger rocks are maybe softball to football size and probably weigh between 5 and 15 lbs. I’m sure if I had a day and better tools I could really get down to what is below but I hoped to get some more answers before I really got into it.

These are only a tiny sampling of what I’ve found. I’ve included a picture of the clay or whatever it is for help with what that is in hopes it could help point to if this area is worth further digging. Then I have two rocks which I’ve cracked open. These were separate rocks not the same and a small representation of the broad range of rocks there. The dark rock I think is maybe schist? Based on the dark bands that are easily seen and break off at those areas. The other more quartz like rock has lots of veins of some mineral. I’m very skeptical to think any of it’s gold but even with a jewelers magnifier it’s hard to tell. It doesn’t easily flake and doesn’t look blocky under magnification. But it seems to be fairly thin so I can’t get it to dent or anything like gold would. I also tried to take the picture in the shade to give a more accurate representation as it doesn’t glitter like pyrite either. Some of it’s also surrounded by some very dark blue or purple not sure I’m color blind mineral which I’ve never seen. Even if it’s not gold I wondered if it’s worth spending more time digging around and investing time and money in to it further.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! View attachment 1601941 View attachment 1601942 View attachment 1601943

I'm not sure, the quality of the photo's isn't helpful. But I'd look around there more. Looks like quartz and sulphides - a good sign!
Crush and pan some - look for gold - or better yet have it assayed!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well. I found this post from a google search, but after seeing some of the incredible rocks so many of you have posted, I'm quite humbled and actually a bit embarrassed to ask my question. Nonetheless, here it is. Any ideas? I can't recall where exactly it was found (it was a few months ago). At first, I thought (please keep in mind I'm an absolute newbie), "Oh, cool! Maybe this layer is obsidian!" I promptly showed my 3 year old and told him that it was probably a record of a volcanic eruption.

When we got home, I took out some tools and tried testing my guess by shattering/splintering some of the obsidian off. I have other pieces of obsidian, and well, this does not seem to be it. Does not behave at all the same.

So, any ideas? What is this mystery black band passing straight through this (unknown) rock's history?

View attachment 1604142
View attachment 1604143

Thank you!

Chert/chalcedony or something similar would be my guess.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a couple notes about the rocks I posted above after reading some more on this thread. I wasn’t sure at the time when I chipping away at these what the smell was but I assume now after reading it was sulfur. As I was chipping away at the clay/Rock as a shovel did nothing to it, if I wacked a big piece it would smell in the hole I dug. Very strong smell for one decent hit on a rock so I do believe there’s a lot of sulfur in the area. Also, some of the rocks have been almost impossible to break as they look to be much more smooshed up. Very technical term.

This area is also a wooded area and in particular found where some trees used to be so a lot of roots run through and some seem to run right through the rocks and are why they have broken into more manageable sizes. There is no creek around to pan to help identify if there’s gold in the area unfortunately. There is a little area about 100 feet away that water runs down to and its created a sort of drainage ditch. It’s not “new” but I don’t know if it’s been around long enough to hold much gold. There is one area about 15 feet downstream from it where a tree had fallen over and there is a good 2-3 foot hole on the “bank” of this runoff area. I assume from when that tree fell which was at least several years ago. My thought was that if that little runoff area did have any gold, even if it was just loosened from the surrounding dirt, that digging that hole down to rock would probably be the best area? if I get down a foot or two and hit that same white clay, any loose gold that migrated to that area I assume would not go down very deep at all in to that clay correct?

The clay has a lot of silica in it. Once washed out and everything removed it’s almost like sand. I live in Union County and I know the Howie mine nearby had most of its gold in the same type of clay/dirt.

Lastly, in trying to figure out the rock layout of the area the best I can from the surface observations and hole I dug I am trying to see what other clues to look for. I’ve seen a lot on here about the mineralizations and sulfur and pyrite etc...so I definitely think the area has potential. But this isn’t an open rock face wall I can see the geology of and narrow down a smaller section to work. I’ve seen to look for vertically oriented rocks. I assume that’s from some sort of magma or whatever intrusion that pushed up into the existing rocks and imbedded the minerals? If these rocks are all underground, can i look for similar clues? Because while digging some of these are oriented parallel to the surface but are maybe 6 inches deep. But after going down a little deeper, more of the big rock was more perpendicular. Instead of hitting a big flat surface I could easily pry up, I’d hit the tip of a rock and have to dig all around and deeper to finally wiggle it out. Just wondering if that would be a similar sign of geologic processes to clue me into the better areas and rocks. Because the hole I dug was maybe 4 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep and I have gathered more than a wheel barrel full of rock ranging from golfball to football and bigger. So there’s no way for me to efficiently process what I’ve found so i want to find where to focus on and go from there.

Sorry for the long ramble. The more I read the more potential I think the area has and I want to try and answer as many questions about the area that you may have.

Thanks again for any input! I have learned more from this thread alone than everything else I’ve ever done, read, watched etc....all combined. I just wish you lived near me! :)

Just for contrast:
You're asking me what picture a puzzle makes by giving me 1 piece of the puzzle. I'm afraid it doesn't work that way..:occasion14:
Keep digging, keep exploring and also look for float - stuff that might have tumbled down hill.
Use a map, get a notepad and mark, write - all finds or interesting 'things'. Correlate with assays for reference.

See previous post on assay - if you're unsure send about 2 lbs of rocks in for fire assay to get an indication of what's there.
It's worth the money if you need to know for sure. The more assays, the better the quality of the info you have. But start with one.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Diplomatic answer: It can be, but doesn't have to be.
In other words: You need to test it for gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread