Intersection of three veins

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a good look at the vug at 4:40. We are going to need to find a good source for 12x12 timbers as I have a feeling we are going to be stoping out most of the ore.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a good look at the vug at 4:40. We are going to need to find a good source for 12x12 timbers as I have a feeling we are going to be stoping out most of the ore.

I cut a sample out of there yesterday, it's at eye level give or take.

255.jpg

I've never cataloged all the visible vugs in the mine yet. I'd say there are close to a dozen or so. That'll make for another project next weekend on top of running the metal detector through it and then digging out the portal.

I did some "fantasy math" on stoping out 50' x 6' wide for the entire length of our known veins...yeah...could be a wild ride indeed.

I found a few place online that carry 12x12 framing timber, that about what we need? One is up in Prescott; Old Santa Few lumber, and the other down here in Phoenix, Heldt Lumber.

Is steel not an option or is wood a better overall choice for reasons I don't yet know about?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If we are stoping, then I prefer wood. It is easier to work with in "remote" areas as special tools are not required, i.e. torches, welders, etc. I have done square set with steel, but it is a real PITA. But all of it is going to depend on price.

12x12 framing timber would be perfect. We might be able to get away with 10x10 if there isn't much rock overhead.

As for the 50'x6' foot, that will wait to be seen. Most likely there will be more.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh hell. Square sets.

Almost forgot about this. Walked into the adit area a different way yesterday and found these two samples of float. Hadn't seen any brecciated material until now.

brec 1.jpg

brec 2.jpg

72' as the crow flies to the southeast of the end of the adit in the hill. It doesn't line up with any of the mapped veins so far. There is something similar about 1/4 of a mile away, if I recall, but that might as well be Pluto with how varied the geology is on this hill.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just waiting for you to find brecciated materials.:thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Period Six Mining and Exploration. Did you guys form a mining company together?
Did a Google search and found your videos :icon_thumright:

GG~

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GG~

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. SaltwaterServr asked me if I would help him with this. Since he is close, I agreed to come in and help him due to the experience I have to see if this will go anywhere. I think it is going to.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GG~

I noticed it to this weekend. :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just waiting for you to find brecciated materials.:thumbsup:

My mistake. I found brecciated material at the GMM Pit last year. I did a video on it back in May of 2016. The brecciation was more massive though.

This is one reason I don't crush a lot of the samples I have. Having them cataloged in a box is damn handy.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I plan on making a trip down here soon. Don't know if I'll have time to head to the mine. I need to check out that core drill yo have to see if I can build the adapters to set it up like a winkie drill on a stand. Don't know about you, but I hate fighting machinery when there is an easier way. I also need the diameter of the drill rod and the pitch and diameter of the threads. I may have found some additional drill rod here that may work.

If that drill rod is E size, we should be able to get down to about 400'.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on making a trip down here soon. Don't know if I'll have time to head to the mine. I need to check out that core drill yo have to see if I can build the adapters to set it up like a winkie drill on a stand.

I also need the diameter of the drill rod and the pitch and diameter of the threads. I may have found some additional drill rod here that may work.

If that drill rod is E size, we should be able to get down to about 400'.

I'll drag everything out tomorrow night and shoot video of it so you can see what we've got here to work with. The first piece that the core bit screws into is one beefy piece of steel compared to the rest.

What size is E?

Don't know about you, but I hate fighting machinery when there is an easier way.

I read this as I sit here with sore right shoulder from when I double clutched the rotary hammer this weekend when I was cutting overhead at an angle. Hoping it's just a muscle strain.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup. Core barrel is 1.5" OD.

The dual male threaded couplers fit into some lightweight aluminum stuff that is 1 1/8" OD.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My mistake. I found brecciated material at the GMM Pit last year. I did a video on it back in May of 2016. The brecciation was more massive though.

This is one reason I don't crush a lot of the samples I have. Having them cataloged in a box is damn handy.

I do the same. Catalog them, but usually I'd assay half the specimen and add the results to the box.
Or I take two similar specimens, assay one and add the other to the box.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real good looking stuff. I think that would qualify as what they call a stockworks wouldn't it? That's common up here in the cascades from what I have read. Notoriously discontinuous and hard to follow.

OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Real good looking stuff. I think that would qualify as what they call a stockworks wouldn't it? That's common up here in the cascades from what I have read. Notoriously discontinuous and hard to follow.

A stockworks can be a cluster of veins in a host rock or it can be the principle type of intrusive formation into the country rock. This is more like a few veins coming together in the fault, although the original miners did manage to lose an 18"-24" wide surface vein about 150-165' into the hill.

This hill keeps surprising me. Tonight I found in one of samples from 392' a green schist loaded with pyrites as well as limonite. It make sense why they were stacking the quartz at the alcove near the face, it was the surrounding rock holding the hot stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions