Who has a detector they DO NOT like???

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the detectors I've owned;

Garrett GTAx Ultra 1000 - bought in '98 and was a great first machine. First gold, 14k ladies wedding ring.
Garrett GTI 2500 - It was ok but liked my $400 cheaper GTAx better. Not worth the price tag.
Minelab Explorer SE - Best machine out of the 3 with the biggest learning curve. Found my best finds with this machine.
Tesoro Outlaw - It's in the mail

others I've used;

Garrett Ace 250 - by far the worst machine I ever used. Wouldn't recommend at all.
White's XLT - I liked it but never used it enough to get it down, but has me itching to try the MXT Pro.
Tesoro Vaquero - hands down my favorite detector I've used. Most fun I ever had. This is the first Tesoro I ever tried, wish it didn't take 15 years.
I think Tesoro fits me like a glove. The heck with screens, tune your ears.

So you havent owned/tried a Vaquero? My only Tesoro's were a Compadre and Vaquero. I almost exlusively used the 5.75 widescan, as the depth was a about the same as the 9x8 concentric. I am only basing my particular opinions on my experience with the 2 Tesoro's I have owned. Maybe the Outlaw is much better then the Vaquero. I havent owned one so can't say. In my case, compared to the V, the X-Terra 505 was much easier to learn, had better separation, better (usable) depth & I can run all metal and not have to dig every target or thumb the disc to know what's under the coil. Not to mention the no-motion (plus visual) pinpoint makes target recovery much easier. To me, the Compadre lived up to the hype! The Vaquero (in my case) did not.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
So you havent owned/tried a Vaquero? My only Tesoro's were a Compadre and Vaquero. I almost exlusively used the 5.75 widescan, as the depth was a about the same as the 9x8 concentric. I am only basing my particular opinions on my experience with the 2 Tesoro's I have owned. Maybe the Outlaw is much better then the Vaquero. I havent owned one so can't say. In my case, compared to the V, the X-Terra 505 was much easier to learn, had better separation, better (usable) depth & I can run all metal and not have to dig every target or thumb the disc to know what's under the coil. Not to mention the no-motion (plus visual) pinpoint makes target recovery much easier. To me, the Compadre lived up to the hype! The Vaquero (in my case) did not.

I tried a Vaquero that a guy had at the same place I was detecting and he checked out my Explorer. But only in a test area we set up. First time ever using a Tesoro. But after researching I decided to get the Outlaw. The Outlaw has what's called "super pinpointing", which is great. Now when I dig, the object is right in the middle of the hole and not to one side or the other like I got sometimes on my other machines.
Now that I have the outlaw I won't be looking at a Vaquero. If I had my way I'd get a Tejon, Tiger Shark, Golden Umax along with a F5, older XLT Spectrum, X-Terra 705 and also see what the new Garrett is like.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try a Tesoro ,lifetime warranty.

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone that has a detector they don't like, and they bought something else, let me know. If your dislike for the product us reflected in a price, maybe I can help you in removal of the item.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remember, a lifetime warranty reflects reliability and durability in a product. However, it has no bearing on the PERFORMANCE of said product. Just because something has a lifetime warranty, it doesnt mean that it works better.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They are very simple and efficient machines, also very though to carry around, but if you like gadgets, and funny beeps I wouldn't recommend it

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I commented on this topic 3 years ago, but I'm going to add to it. I left off with an F70 I had just received and an Omega 8000 on the way. I ended up not caring for the F70, partially due to the features, but mostly because of the poor build quality. The Omega 8000 worked pretty well, but was so flimsy that I didn't expect it would last much beyond the life of the warranty. The F5 I had at the time was a much more solid machine.

So to summarize, after close to 25 years of detecting, my favorite machines were, and are, Tesoros, some more than others. The Cortes was pretty good, but way overpriced for what you get. The Golden uMax was ridiculously fun and the Tejon was probably the best of the bunch for me. I currently have a Vaquero so we'll see how that goes. I'll be getting a Compadre for the kids, so I'll see if all the hype about that machine is true or not (I suspect it is). The old Garrett Freedom Ace 2 was an awesome machine. It's too bad Garrett didn't stick to their roots and continue to make awesome machines like that, but maybe add some newer technology that doesn't require 3 9 volt batteries!

Of all the TID machines I had, the F5 and T2 were the best. However, I came to rely on the screens, and stopped digging almost everything except coins. I don't plan to ever use a TID machine again. I'll dig more than I did, but the quality of my finds will go up like they used to be.

Dan

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their opinion & as it was stated before "that is a good thing" .. Ill just take 2 of each LOL.

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one it did find a lot of goodies But the plastic arm rest broke after a few months of use and the cheap connetion for the 9v batteries gave up the ghost one year later all the sodering in the world could not bring it back to life rest in peace.

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grand master

A Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXII. I hated that thing, heavy, seemed to miss a lot of targets, ate batteries like they were going out of style. I ended up loaning it to somebody and just didn't bother getting it back.

Ican,t say I,ve done that with a metal detector but I know the feeling I,ll be giggling alday with that qt.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking in again. The Compadre did prove to be all it's cracked up to be. Best bang for the back, no disputing that.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sure when I knock the atpro its like I slapped every detectorest in the face and also the sales guys I always felt It was over rated never had confidence in it, but keep herelng how good it was I was like is this all metal detecdind has to offer. I have found stuff with it and used the hell out of it. So I no this unit I never thought the dept was good and also it took fits . I started with a radio shack unit years ago, don't remember the brand, but used it once let someone borrow it never got it back.so decided to get back into it had 800 to spend went to the only dealer in my area, told them what type of hunting I planed to do and walked out with a. Atpro and a scoop and I was mad cause I think they took advantage of me being green. It is a OK detector for the money, it also can go in water which any water proof detector cost a lot OK point taken but if you take the water aspect out of it, how much would you expect to pay. I just always felt there had to be something better this can't be it but I would feel guilty if I did anything bad.I pretty good with stuff and also learn quick. I tried the f75 and it got better dept but there was just something not right it wasn't for me. I'm looking for another unit I will keep the atpro cause I can use it in the rain and let's face it the thing bangs on clad at a fast speed. So its good to get the shallow stuff, then bring out something els. Now I did a lot of research and I like whites/m6, v3i minelabe etrac/ctx3030 teknetics t2 I will get one of these or maybe two.the tesoro seem OK just mixed reviews.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Fisher 1260 X was a "Game Changer" . A whole new way of detecting ! However.... it was not powerful enough to be a worthy relic machine. I saw one wrapped around a tree at New Hope Church Georgia in frustration on a c.w. relic hunt. I bought one and was glad the Tesoro Inca was with me that day. Fisher went on to get things figured out with the 1265-X a year or so later.

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
My worst is a Garrett Gold Scorpion. I was told it takes 100 plus hours to master and I am still frustrated but have not given up. The battery replacement was poorly designed as well. It's Garretts Edsel as far as I am concerned.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worst is a Garrett Gold Scorpion. I was told it takes 100 plus hours to master and I am still frustrated but have not given up. The battery replacement was poorly designed as well. It's Garretts Edsel as far as I am concerned.

That's kinda the saying for all detectors is around 100hrs to know the machine in how,it operates

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro inca loved it
Tesoro DeLeon like it, wished it had manual ground balance
Tesoro Tiger shark , love it in the rain, love manual ground balance (that one tone so many fear means dig!) 8 inch coil in trash is a winner
Minelab Quattro, like that it has 3 coils, Like that I can decide not to dig tabs or zinc pennies also knowing it is not 100% accurate when doing so... Didn't like dropping my digging tool and poking a hole in the lens and don't like that I have scotch tape on the hole, also don't like that it will cost $150+ to repair...Like that I have found silver rings with it... Don't mind the slow sweep , but I like switching to a Tesoro after an hour or so, when I welcome the lighter weight and familiar tone!

Last edited:

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT PRO

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where to post this...I know we all make mistakes, I would like to know who has a detector they are not happy with for whatever reason??? What brand, and why not....I always hear how happy everyone is with what they have, but there must be a few that are not...I have a Garrett 1350, that im not real excited about, it may just be me, but it tends to false alot, and is hard to pinpoint with....Thanks for any replys....Tom

One of the better threads on this site and should be referred to when a newbie asks for advise on detector choices.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll add my Compadre to the list of disappointing detectors.

It performs just fine in areas it works in but when EMI is present, it's complete garbage. I understand the Compadres with the smaller 5.75" coils don't have the same issues as the larger 8" models.

If you planning on purchasing a Compadre, consider the areas you may be hunting with it. The more urban the area the greater the risk of troublesome EMI sources. Without a sensitivity adjustment, you're screwed! If you have your heart set on a Compadre, opt for the 5.75" coil model plus you'll also be able to get closer to playground equipment w/o getting signals off of it too.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all the detectors I own... Each new one is liked more than the last... I do not like all those other detectors you all own... I know I would like one if you gave it too me though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread