European vs US-Australian detectors.

giverashot

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
European 'vs' US-Australian detectors.

Briefly how do the European(both UK and mainland) detectors compare to(stack up against) the US-Australian detectors?? (Performance wise meaning raw depth, recovery speed, and discrimination strength, not TID screens, bells, and whistles.)

For one example the European, Nexus> http://www.nexusdetectors.com/ claims to have unmatched depth and discrimination, also the most powerful hand held ever made and deepest seeking available to the public, but most people have never even heard of them before. Also the XP Goldmaxx Power, Evergreen, Lander, C-Scope, Arado, Laser is made by Tesoro I think, etc.
http://www.uk-metal-detectors.co.uk/
Golden Mask> http://www.uk-metal-detectors.co.uk/golden_mask_3_power.htm
A new fancy one: XP Deus> http://www.uk-metal-detectors.co.uk/xp_deus.htm

You can be very brief, and also not specific being just general in your answers if you want to, thank you.

Metal Detecting Forum
The new DEUS metal detector by XP metal detectors. Check it out.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1085935

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: European 'vs' US-Australian detectors.

Haven't seen any of them, so I'm guessing they don't or won't have the marketability here that they enjoy domestically. I have noticed they are a bit pricier than our own domestic models.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have seen some of these but never handled them so can't really comment on if the really work or are toys. Everyone claims to have the deep detectors and most is just hype. I'll stick with our less costly deectors that are sold here in the US.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

So far I've seen videos of 10 or more metal detectors made in eastern and western Europe. I am impressed with the Czech ones, the British ones, the French ones, and the Polish ones. Some blow the doors off Australian Minelabs and American Fishers in light soil but that's about where it all ends. There are some really powerful German models too but like most European ones they cost too much $$ by the time they get sold to the US.

One day I counted more than 40 different detectors online, all coming from E and W Europe. By the time they are sold in America though they'll be outdated again and have to start all over copying American ones and improving them again. The Japanese and Koreans do the same thing with cars. Americans invent the innovations while the rest of the world improves them, it's a vicious circle.

LL

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006

I believe the European detectors are set up with a wider spread in iron discrimination then the American detectors! In Europe where civilization has been around for many hundreds of years more than the USA this is needed as there is a lot of iron in the ground. Yes detectors in Europe are more expensive but this could be due to taxes. But there is a large number of American detectors used in Europe.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aside from all the "Buy American" garbage on this topic, my question is this:

Who on earth would have enough money to own Two of these models? Perhaps there is someone who owns two of the models from your list above and is proficient both, but probably not too many individuals out there.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

you also have to remember, non US metal detectors are not subject to FCC regulations against interference,
so generally they are able to raise the power in those units to achieve greater depth

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes " But what about repair work " It cost a big buck to send them overseas to get repaired i am just talking the shipping charge. Then you have the repair cost. Myself i think i will stick with detectors made and repaired in the U.S.A.............. I know someone is going to say but they are not all made in the US yes but i can get them repaired here. So my choice of detectors is.. Garrett... Whites.. Tesoro .. Fisher AKA First Tx ... & Minelab..... Not even Compass any more hard to find parts for and costly to get repaired so to me they are a pain in the A$$ also..

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ive used all of these except the Lander which had many bad reports.

Nexus has more depth than most other brands, is light in weight and can be brilliant in performance but does not like the high mineralisation in my ground. Supposedly innovative coil design but similar was used years back for a deepseeker P.I., I think the Crone brothers came up with the coil design then Georgi developed it further for his machine.

XP Goldmaxx Power. Not suitable for use in the U.S. as the circuit transmits to the headphones at all times on a illegal frequency. I don't conside its that suitable for much of the ground in the U.S. as you tend to have more mineralisation. No full range discrimination....ferrous only.
The previous version (Goldmaxx NOT GMaxx) that I prefer has the same option of an all metal mode combined with ferrous rejection, doesn't have radio headphones on the original models so should be legal and if your working the local park or top of beach has the faster to use (and sometimes deeper) Tesoro type full range discrimination.

Evergreen is a dealer who has some cheap machines labelled with the Evergreen name. Also an importer for the cheap but powerful Goldenmask range.

C-Scope. Did sell in the States under the Newforce label. Well made. Really cheap. Excellent warranty. Been going for years and produces any type of detector you can think of from hoard hunters to non motion to motion (non metered), a XLT type machine (but cheaper and includes two coils), pulse (about the cheapest you can get that performs well) and three versions of the Arado type non motion meter discriminators.... all metal primary search mode with discrimination by meter. Many models are rain and dust resistant.

Arado themselves. Famous for non motion discriminators for the beach, a variable frequency accoustics machine and the 120, 120b and 130 non motion meter discriminators (they looked similar to the Saxon X-1 Ultradepth which is still in production with another British company). Have not produced machines for many years but made a return with a digital super version of the 120/130 designs last year. Very expensive !

Laser are Tesoro's designed for the British market. More expensive but in many cases improved over the U.S. version.

Dozens of Polish/German and Bulgarian detectors. Tend to outperform and undercut on price U.S. machines and have longer (up to five year warranties). U.S. machines in many cases come over increase in price up to 100% and the warranties drop to two years. Models from Bulgaria that I didn't like are the Notsi Mole, Vista RG750 and Morsiani. The Blisstool LTC 48 though noisy is deep.
Poland has various brands/models Rutus, Ducat, Armand, Demet/Diogenit, The Atlantis XM 4600B and Imperator II.
Turkey, Notka. Czech Republic, Zetex. Ukraine, Sledopyt.

Many are more innovative than U.S. machines but not from the point of view of meters. All thats required in Europe really is depth and ferrous I.D. as we know meters don't work. For those who want to argue this just dig out a picture of a pre digital top of range U.S. detector from a few years back. Sweeping across the meter from side to side are two bands, one for silver and one for gold illustating that these finds can show up anywhere on the display.

As for copying U.S. designs its more likely to be the other way round. Twenty years back we had three discriminating pulse machines in manufactured in Britain alone. Radio headphones. Wireless coils (way before XP). A solar powered machine. One with the whole detector built into the heaphones (Rimertron Crown), this must have been at least 15 years prior to the U.S. Headhunter design. Ten feet wide coils. A modular detector design way before Discovery came up with the Treasure Baron.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006

Great information UK Brian, yes and the television was even invented in the UK!

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man, that one British unit seems to blow away almost evertyhing, but of course it is there test..I would like to have more info on them, Wonder if they will send info to the States????

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey thanks for the info Brian. It is always better to learn from a user than a *)!_+^#& person unfamiliar with them and showing a poor video.

:thumbsup:

LL

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny thing not many give credit to the work of George Payne without whom the development of the motion detector might not have started for years or Westinghouse (not Minelab) who first developed multifrequency.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Actually Brian multi-frequencies were invented slightly more than 100 years ago (telegraph days) and then later with innovations it moved on to telephone days when several parties could use the same signal at the same time (multiple calls). This is why (for example) 60 years ago one could hear several people talking all at the same time now and then. Multiple frequencies were first used in telegraphy then evolved into "multiplexing".

In between those two time periods they were used in old field magnet type applications and later redesigned to be used in AM receivers, then many years later in computer applications. The problem still exists though that multi-freqs still cannot be sent throught the same single signal without riding piggy-back on top of a specific waveform. After reading the stream rate it can then be decoded and utilized, but the many different frequencies are not all transmitted simultaneously, just the streams are. . It's an old concept used long before owners and workers at Minelab were even born.

And yes, George Payne is not only a heck of an engineer, he's also a very pleasant fellow. I met him back in about the year 1990 when he was operating his company (Teknetics) in Lebanon, Oregon, and got to take a good look at his setup there on the Santiam Hiway near the old Wal-mart up on the second floor of that office building. Of course I had to go there more than once because of my interest in the enginering part of it.

LL

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, the Golden mask range made in Bulgaria is getting very positive user comments, so they are worth a try. :hello:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sniffer said:
you also have to remember, non US metal detectors are not subject to FCC regulations against interference,
so generally they are able to raise the power in those units to achieve greater depth

Do you have a source for that info? (U.S. detectors having a power limit, that is). I tried to find anything about it on the FCC site after posing that potential issue on the detector modifications forum and being challenged about it and I could not fnd any mention of a wattage or transmit limit for metal detectors. My sailboat's VHF radio can transmit at 25 watts. That's a lot more than my detector puts out.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Sniffer said:

Do you have a source for that info? (U.S. detectors having a power limit, that is). I tried to find anything about it on the FCC site after posing that potential issue on the detector modifications forum and being challenged about it and I could not fnd any mention of a wattage or transmit limit for metal detectors. My sailboat's VHF radio can transmit at 25 watts. That's a lot more than my detector puts out.

Yes, and that is on the frequency it is assigned to...There are different power levels for different frequency's....I can do 1500 watts on some, less on others...I am curious if american detectors are power limited, or if more power would be a problem...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
I have seen some of these but never handled them so can't really comment on if the really work or are toys. Everyone claims to have the deep detectors and most is just hype. I'll stick with our less costly deectors that are sold here in the US.
Sandmans ,,, Right they all claim there detectors are deeper than any other detector on the market... And from what i under stand the detectors from other countries will not work good in the USA soil different inners to match there soil.......... If you live here in the USA if you are smart you will stick to buying a.... Garrett.... White.... Fisher.... Tesoro.... and ..Minelab.... and forget about the over seas detectors........... Remember.................... THE GRASS IS ALLWAYS GREENER .... But really not true......

Attachments

• 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 620
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 5,030
  • 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 621
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 699

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tested a Golden mask 3 in a detecting meeting, the detectors iron discrimination was quite impressive, i only dug one larger rusty iron and the field i detected was full of iron.

The machine seemed easy to use, but the machine doesnt discriminate too good against foil etc , so it is best used in a old places where modern trash is not too bad.

Recovery speed/depth seemed very good, so i think it is a great machine in old fields full of rusty iron. I found lots of old buttons/watnot with the machine.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I airtested the Gm3 with a 50 euro cent coin and got result of 15,9 inch, this is with a automatic settings.

I think the machine is very powerfull and the coil size is 10,5" dd. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread