NMGold

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Garrett, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The atpro is far the better of the two i have both.even cheaper than the tejon. and its better
I dont know why some says they can get their to lock on i have no problims with mine. here in Ga red clay & high mineral , I also know several who have them and dont have any problims about locking on.
most detector wont lock on if its deep and your barly getting a reading

Far better, no. I have both and love both, neither is far better, they have different applications. The Tejon is definitely deeper and more sensitive to low conductors. Love the AT pro as well, you cannot go wrong with either machine!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know another very fine machine in the price range of a tejon is the fisher cz3d..A top machine at $805.00 new..might be the best bang for the $

Interesting. I have seen a few guys with them and I've wondered.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now I am torn between three high-end machines to upgrade from my ATP. I think the Garrett At Pro isnt much of a "pro" machine at all. I truly think that the ATP is a cheap base format of one of their earlier machines with some better electronic features tacked onto it. The basic detecting part of the machine just isnt good enough to call it a pro machine. It also has some serious design flaws, which if called out, I will elaborate, but those arent important for this discussion. Lets simply say that its kind of cheap in my honest opinion.

Now mind you, I am now just coming back to MDing just this year after dropping it entirely in the 2000's, but I did it in the 90's and I had some great Tesoro and Fisher machines and found a lot of stuff. So I'm not entirely green to all this! :laughing7:

For what its worth, I like the Tesoros a lot. They are inexpensive for what you get, are built solidly, and deliver the goods. Let's say that Bart can get you an ATP for about $600. The Tejon, or a Fisher F70 around the same price would be a much better choice.

Bottom line: If you are NEW to detecting, the ATP would be a fantastic machine - no doubt - but like me, if you have any experience with other machines, the ATP is found wanting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both the Tejon and the AT PRO and can say if the Tejon was waterproof it would be as good a a Sov GT waterproof. The ATP in my opinion is unstable and falses to easy in the water and even on land within two bars of full sens. You can back off the sens on the ATP and even while holding it still, it beeps. This is not electrical interference from some other source like cell phones, microwave towers. The ATP has a meter which doesn't lock on to the target and the numbers bounce all over but keep coming back to certain ones. The Tejon has two seperate disc levels for checking a target and not just a notch system. I have stopped using the ATP. View attachment 649737
Thats is what i hate about my AT it will not lock in on a target … But my Compass detector when it hit a target it locked in and stayed there . It was not working good but just try to get a Compass detector repaired almost can not be done So i sold it but it was one of the best detector's i ever owned . 1.jpg . this is my old Compass

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My plan for my ATP is making it a dedicated freshwater machine. I live on a river. There's lots of places I hunt the river, at which the AT works great.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My plan for my ATP is making it a dedicated freshwater machine. I live on a river. There's lots of places I hunt the river, at which the AT works great.

If you want a dedicated water machine get a Tiger Shark. A lifetime warranty is kind of a good thing to have on a water detector. The AT would have to be some kind of good to beat the Tiger Shark in the water.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A better comparison to the Tejon would be the AT gold. As i have used both and in bad ground it will rival the sensitivity of the Tejon. It is a killer relic machine here in VA where bad ground is a norm.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having actually seen a AT Pro in use by a expert I would say it is a very capable machine. Seen it used in the open desert and the trashiest of areas and the ATP really did well for the guy. As for a beep locking on, thats a program. The ATP is gonna beep on a good target, you get a bell sound, you got a target. The Tejon is going to be a constant hum. One thing that will help yor ATP is a coil, what coil are you using?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Many people, myself included, do find the AT Pro to be pleasant to listen to, but it's not the powerhouse like the Tejon. The ATP is not a bad detector, but it like the Tejon has troubles with falsing in bad soil, and they both lose a lot of depth under those conditions. The Tejon though, is the deepest detecting single or multi-freq VLF machine I've ever owned, seen, or had in my hot hands, noisy as all heck too sometimes though, and not a good one for the iron belt. Mine was a bit deeper than most, and I could air test a clad nickel at 16-17 inches and a clad dime at 14-15. That won't happen with the ATP. Unlike Sandman's Sovereign, mine was pretty much a match for depth, but the Sov could handle some really nasty, nasty uncommon soil very well, especially basalt. Both the ATP and the Tejon can find some very small metal objects, but the ATP has a slight edge on BB sized ones. For salt beaches the ATP, and (especially) the CZ21 and Sov GT are the overall best. For open fields in light-to-moderate Fe soil, go with the Tejon, it is an absolute BEAST there, and deeper than an Explorer II or F75 LTD. On anther note, the Vaquero works a bit better on salt beaches than the Tejon, and is much more peaceful and quiet without masking too many targets. It almost gets the same depth as the Tejon too and sometimes beats it because of its frequency and its lower gain and sensitivity.

*I might add that I did an unusual test one day. I matched a cz against a Sov, against a Tejon and a Compass Goldscanner Pro on a high black sand/salt beach. The cz won by two inches, all the others were the same for depth. So I took soil samples home with me, so of course all soil strata had been disturbed. The Compass went the deepest, the CZ next, and the Sov and Tejon both came in at #3 with less depth. Our Oregon inland soil is ofen some really nasty stuff..and can easily be different just a block away from the last place we searched inland.The same goes for our high black sand salt beaches too..

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only having a few years of serious metal detecting experience, I am just starting to understand how much ground compesition effects the performance of a machine. And have also came to realize why reviews of some machines vary so much with location. As Larry stated above, some machines are less effected by bad ground and some lose a lot of their depth.

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but what do you guys mean by "locking" on target? I just sweep the ground and wherever I get a good tone I narrow my sweeps to cover just that area to zero in on where I will be digging. Do you mean getting the same VDI readout with each pass?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but what do you guys mean by "locking" on target? I just sweep the ground and wherever I get a good tone I narrow my sweeps to cover just that area to zero in on where I will be digging. Do you mean getting the same VDI readout with each pass?

What they are referring to is: Say you are using your ATP in a patch of nails and you hit a high tone amongst the nails, the atp will lock-on that target when you sweep back and fourth across it and nearly lose the nails all together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions