What to buy for around 600 bucks

TN-detector

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After christmas i will be buying a detector in the 600 dollar range.I will be relic hunting for civil war relics checking out old home and church sites and we go to Florida every year.Ive been looking at the Garrett AT Pro,Minelab and Tesoro and wonder which will be best in Smokey Mountain soil? What are some of your opinions that hunt with these brands of machines? Thanks

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go with the AT Pro. It has an automatic and manual ground balancing feature

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have too many types of soil and too wide a range of hunting styles (mountain area soil, salt beach/sand, relics, coins, gold/jewelry, etc.) to have just "1" machine to hunt with especially for the $$ you're willing to spend. You'd need at least 2 different detectors in that price range just to be fairly successful hunting for all you're wanting to find in all of the areas/grounds. They don't make a go everywhere/do all hunting in all types of ground/conditions machine in the $600 range or else everyone would own one and never buy a top of the line machine in the $1700 to 2000+ range (and even then - they too have their advantages in/of themselves) to where one does better at certain types of hunting in certain types of ground/under certain conditions and in finding certain targets better than the other & vise/versa.

I'd say a good place to start is with a machine you'll be using in a specific area of the country 90% of the time or more - buy one that is made for finding the type/s of items you're most wanting to find most of the time and geared for the type of soil you'll be hunting most of the time. After that you can decide if you'd like to pursue the hobby further and buy another machine for a different style of hunting or even upgrade to one of the top of the line machines that have a wider variety of hunting capabilities :-)

The AT Pro is a good machine for the $$ and for gen purpose hunting (in and out of water) which is hard to beat for the $$. I'm sure on salt beaches or in salt water though it won't do so good - I have one and hunt fresh water and it does really good but I know the guys on ocean beaches mostly use the cz20/21 or ex-cal's due to the mineralized salt water/sand & black sand. I also use a cz21 for water hunting (had a cz20 for 10 yrs too).

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have too many types of soil and too wide a range of hunting styles (mountain area soil, salt beach/sand, relics, coins, gold/jewelry, etc.) to have just "1" machine to hunt with especially for the $$ you're willing to spend.
An Xterra 505 or a used 705 would be the best all-around machine for all but going swimming. It can be set up to hunt anywhere but actually IN the water, and wouldn't be near as limited as an ATP anywhere else.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were my money, I'd be looking at a Tesoro Vaquero with a 12x10dd coil. You'd be very hard pressed to find a deeper machine. That plus its excellent discrimination and lifetime warranty how can you beat it.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try the out law from tesoro

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't EVER buy a detector just because someone "recommends" it on here. Buy one that works in your area, your soil, and in your weather. One detector never does fit every need or in every part of the USA or Europe, it's just not possible. Contact the local detector clubs and see what most of them prefer for your searching areas, that is what will likely work the best for you. Look above at the three different suggestions, they can't ALL be the best, can they? Have fun making the decision, it's half the battle..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that range I ALWAYS recommend the Garrett AT Pro. Best machine for the $ in that price range in my opinion. Holler if you have questions or looking for a good deal!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a used Minelab Elite with 180 meter , straight shaft and new Ultimate 13".

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read nothing but good reviews of the AT Pro for coins, jewelry and relics. They do say it won't work on wet salt beaches though. It is waterproof. Regards, Bill.

PS: I decided to get a used MXT. It has a relic, coins, and prospecting mode, and it has a salt ground trac setting.

Last edited:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend the AT PRO...excellent machine for the money

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT-Pro or a Tesoro. Tesoro is the easiest to use and will last forever(lifetime warranty) Gazillion opinions. I started with a tesoro though and do not hesitate to use it anytime unless it is real wet hence the at-pro. One day I will master the f-75.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would recommend either the AT Pro (which I have used on NJ Salt Water/Black Sand Beaches with no problems), Tesoro Vaquero/Tejon, or Teknetics G2 (a very underrated machine).

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live near the Smoky's as well and mainly relic hunt and I also would recommend the AT PRO or the MXT PRO. The reason I say that is that a friend of mine that I hunt with has the AT PRO and I have the MXT PRO. Both are great at finding relics. I also hunt the DIV hunts in Virginia where the soil is very hot and a lot of machines will not work there but the MXT does very well there. The T2 is another great machine. All are in your price range and all with work fine for you. Which ever machine you get take time to learn it and what it is telling you. Also you have to swing much slower to find those deep targets. Good luck and let us know which one you get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread