Fisher GB-2 versus DeepTech Gold - dry sand beach

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over at Dankowski...the self professed guru doesn't even know how to operate the GB-2 yet hails it as god's gift to micro jewelry hunting on the beach...All you get is talk talk talk - NEVER any video proof...After watching the below video, Dankowski writes

"NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Video results are completely incongruent with my
> results. Yes, the Gold Bug-2 was not set up
> properly...... including the Thresh pot on the
> back of the GB-2...........

And here is from the actual GB-2 manual:

COIN SHOOTING, BEACH AND RELIC HUNTING
There’s no reason why you can’t use your Gold Bug-2 for “coinshooting” in parks, relic hunting old town sites or hunting on the
beach
. True, the Gold Bug-2 was designed for prospecting, but it’s also suitable for Treasure Hunting. Like most coin-shooting and
relic hunting machines, the Gold Bug-2’s iron discrimination mode can be used to filter out trash targets in areas where relics and
coins are normally found.

Also - according to the user manual:

IN IRON DISCRIMINATION MODE
Unlike the AUDIO BOOST and NORMAL modes, the IRON DISC mode is unaffected by the SENSITIVITY control and threshold
settings. Also, unlike the other modes, the IRON DISC mode operates without an audible threshold hum.

So Dankowski tells everyone that the Threshold was not set right when the video clearly showed the machine was in discrimination mode for normal beach detecting...but the Threshold DOES NOT work in Discrimination mode? Who wants to fork over $1200 for flawed training sessions to a guy who can't even read a user manual??? But I guess being a rocket scientist is above reading a simple manual...

Here is the latest video - decide for yourself if the DeepTech is or isn't a solid performer for micro and large gold detecting on the dry sand beach.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time, try showing us how you ground balanced the GB II, and use it in All Metal like you are supposed to (and for goodness sake turn up the volume on the threshold so that you can actually HEAR it and catch the breaks in it!). Selling the Deeptech is fine, but you make yourself look either uneducated, or worse dishonest, when you compare apples to oranges the way you are. Different coils, not using the machine the way it was intended to be used, no ground balancing, yadda, yadda, yadda. I am putting on my flame proof underwear now..

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry -
#1 - I don't do the video - so you are free to soil your underware
#2 - The video was done on the beach NOT in the gold fields.
#3 - Are you telling me that you don't use Discrimination on the beach? You dig iron? If so - that's lot's of bobby pins you're digging......
#4 - The machines were both in Discriminate at a Greenwich, CT beach - apples to apples..I think you would use iron disc there...
#5 - Maybe you should rewrite the manual for Fisher as written above about beaches...

Next time, try showing us how you ground balanced the GB II, and use it in All Metal like you are supposed to (and for goodness sake turn up the volume on the threshold so that you can actually HEAR it and catch the breaks in it!). Selling the Deeptech is fine, but you make yourself look either uneducated, or worse dishonest, when you compare apples to oranges the way you are. Different coils, not using the machine the way it was intended to be used, no ground balancing, yadda, yadda, yadda. I am putting on my flame proof underwear now..

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, c'mon, give me a break...:occasion14:

One guy is trying to push his sales pitch, the other guy is trying to help him so that he doesn't look foolish. Both of you have personal interest here, but most people already know that.

One thing is clear, Most of the people who sell/post videos of foreign-made detectors (and sometimes American ones too) are trying to wedge in the slightly-open door, so they fudge settings or omit them, or don't take the time to show precisely how each detector is set or supposed to be used, and most people see right through it too, unless they have a room-temperature IQ of 70.

Terry likes Tesoros. Extreme likes the foreign ones. To me, it seems like Terry was simply (although a bit bluntly?) being honest in pointing out the obvious, that the GB2 is normally superior to the DeepTech for nugget hunting, and that he found something wrong with the presentation since it left too many questions unanswered about setup, especially with ground balancing both detectors.. And yes, I thought that Dan's cage was being rattled too. And yes Extreme, it is always best to hunt for gold nuggets and on beaches in all-metal, if at all possible. But the GB2 is a rather poor beach machine anyway, so nobody wins that discussion. BTW Extreme, I have noticed in your other videos that you normally do not take the time to show how well set up each and every detector is used when comparing them. Why is that?

Peace.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry -
#1 - I don't do the video - so you are free to soil your underware
#2 - The video was done on the beach NOT in the gold fields.
#3 - Are you telling me that you don't use Discrimination on the beach? You dig iron? If so - that's lot's of bobby pins you're digging......
#4 - The machines were both in Discriminate at a Greenwich, CT beach - apples to apples..I think you would use iron disc there...
#5 - Maybe you should rewrite the manual for Fisher as written above about beaches...

Again, you did not ground balance the machine and did not have the volume up enough to hear the audible threshold in All Metal. You started your thread insulting another forum member - and now me, instead of simply saying "yes I ground balanced the machine," or "no, I didn't ground balance the machine." The test is bogus.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry I agree, the test most certainly does appear to be at least inconclusive.

Extreme, redo the test showing the proper setups, ground balance, and settings first, then people will have something better to go on.

Larry

OP
OP
E

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry and Terry - there is a FANTASTIC solution...

The video maker has agreed to meet Terry at a beach (Greenwich, CT) that is VERY close to Terry for him to set up the GB-2...

He wants a real world apples to apples test...that means both machines in DISCRIMINATE mode for beach hunting..(who wants to pick up all the bobby pins and small iron so the the PI guys can swoop in for all the deep gold rings without getting frustrated in the iron??)...

Terry - you have to do this...please...everyone will agree - it's the only way to make sure you (and everyone else) will believe it's done right - when can you do it?

Terry I agree, the test most certainly does appear to be at least inconclusive.

Extreme, redo the test showing the proper setups, ground balance, and settings first, then people will have something better to go on.

Larry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY good Extreme! That's what people want to see, a good, down to the wire fine tooth comparison. And I'd like to see one comparing the new Detech model too, it is quite impressive, enough so that KellyCo is now running two depth charts for it. One thing is missing in the equation though, the GB2 was designed to run in all-metal for small gold and gold nugget hunting, so discrimination would be a mismatch for it against one that was designed otherwise. Additionally, the GB2 will find smaller nuggets than any other detector except the old, original GB, or the Compass au 52 or au 2000:icon_thumleft:

Peace,

Larry

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Larry and Terry - there is a FANTASTIC solution...

The video maker has agreed to meet Terry at a beach (Greenwich, CT) that is VERY close to Terry for him to set up the GB-2...

He wants a real world apples to apples test...that means both machines in DISCRIMINATE mode for beach hunting..(who wants to pick up all the bobby pins and small iron so the the PI guys can swoop in for all the deep gold rings without getting frustrated in the iron??)...

Terry - you have to do this...please...everyone will agree - it's the only way to make sure you (and everyone else) will believe it's done right - when can you do it?

OK, I'm game. I am also going to bring the Tesoro Compadre, and the Tesoro Vaquero. Ready and Waiting in White Plains 914-589-3985. I sincerely hope the Deep Tech Gold blows my mind. We'll see.

Here is the thing about the GB2 and discrimination. Just like the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, as soon as you switch to "Discriminate" mode, you go into a factory preset (pre-set gain and sensitivity) and lose 1/3 of your depth. From the manual:

>IRON DISC MODE: This mode ignores hot rocks and
small ferrous objects. It also features a very sharp target​
response. An independent mode, the IRON DISC modeis unaffected by the settings of the MINERALIZATION,​
GROUND REJECT and THRESHOLD controls.<

Like I said, we'll test it against the Vaquero, and the under $200.00 Compadre, and see if it blows me away or not.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Two true GLADIATORS!:icon_thumleft:

I'm anxious to see the results.

OP
OP
E

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all VERY good...well do it every which way but Sunday LOL....I'll have him call you - but Terry would you ever hunt a Greenwich, CT beach not using discriminate no matter what the machine?

Again - this is NOT nugget hunting out west....this is beach hunting on an old beach..

OK, I'm game. I am also going to bring the Tesoro Compadre, and the Tesoro Vaquero. Ready and Waiting in White Plains 914-589-3985. I sincerely hope the Deep Tech Gold blows my mind. We'll see.

Here is the thing about the GB2 and discrimination. Just like the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, as soon as you switch to "Discriminate" mode, you go into a factory preset (pre-set gain and sensitivity) and lose 1/3 of your depth. From the manual:

>IRON DISC MODE: This mode ignores hot rocks and
small ferrous objects. It also features a very sharp target​
response. An independent mode, the IRON DISC modeis unaffected by the settings of the MINERALIZATION,​
GROUND REJECT and THRESHOLD controls.<

Like I said, we'll test it against the Vaquero, and the under $200.00 Compadre, and see if it blows me away or not.

Last edited:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Ok guys, you have my attention on this test. Please make a good video for us all to see. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is all VERY good...well do it every which way but Sunday LOL....I'll have him call you - but Terry would you ever hunt a Greenwich, CT beach not using discriminate no matter what the machine?

Again - this is NOT nugget hunting out west....this is beach hunting on an old beach..

Here we go with apples and oranges again. The question is which DISCRIMINATING metal detector works best for gold in dry beach sand. The Tesoro Lobo Super Traq and the Fisher Goldbug 2 are both built PRIMARILY to run in All Metal, all the time.

Although the question is, in my opinion, simply a “redirect,” yes, I do hunt dry sand with the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq in All Metal, because I find gold chains that way. When you get tired after a couple of hours, you can always reverse discriminate (switch from All Metal to Discriminate and see if the target is still there).

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh oh! Something very interesting is about to happen. Iron curtain detectors are notorious for not being able to handle tough high iron soil. On a salt/black sand beach? That seems more like a death wish for the European machines. The Blisstool, for example has a real hard time in black sand. Who knows how the DeepTech will fare...? This is going to get VERY interesting!

I think I'll withhold all my bets...:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

picklepete

Nov 22, 2012
americas heartland
Detector(s) used
Quest 20, Simplex+ on order, detecting on and off since the 1970's.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry and Barry, my hats off to you both. It would be awesome to get all your comments on video also, before and after!! I have a Vista Gold, its a powerhouse , and loves gold. I never tried the Tesoros or goldbugs... it should be fun! Barry, make sure you give Terry a deal on a Gold !!
Oh, and about that Florida rocket scientist, he is a nice guy, but he is a bit biased towards Fisher , his ex-( or current?) employer.

OP
OP
E

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - I have been informed that Terry and the video maker (it's NOT me) will be meeting tomorrow...
They will have video with them and a number of machines...

This should be fun...

Terry and Barry, my hats off to you both. It would be awesome to get all your comments on video also, before and after!! I have a Vista Gold, its a powerhouse , and loves gold. I never tried the Tesoros or goldbugs... it should be fun! Barry, make sure you give Terry a deal on a Gold !!
Oh, and about that Florida rocket scientist, he is a nice guy, but he is a bit biased towards Fisher , his ex-( or current?) employer.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Please make sure that this video is put on this site for all to see. I am interested in how the Goldbug II vs. The Vista Gold react on a beach with the small jewelry. Also how the Tesoros do in this test. I am sure you each know how to tune your machines so this should prove to be very interesting no matter the final results. I own both the Goldbug II and the Vista Gold but have not had them on a beach yet. Please show and explain all setting on each detector for all that watch the video. Thanks...Stuart

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Funny Barry you liked NASA Toms site when you were posting all your FREE Infomercials there.
After getting tossed with repeated warnings, you have a problem.

OP
OP
E

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's be clear -

Gman - The problem I have is you following me around the forums like a schoolgirl in heat and I'm the hot guy driving the souped up Camaro....

I got "tossed" cause Tom doesn't SHOW anybody anything - and when challenged with video proof about the DeepTech he never has a true answer...just Tom gobbledy gook...they finally got tired of me showing the machines true performance...and the excuse was that I was always selling the machine on his forum...

I mean here was the guy's answer to the question of how he knows one machine gets different depth on a buried object versus another machine:

Tom states: "this Vista Gold is approx 1.4" less capable on a clad dime"...

Someone asks: " If you have a buried coin...how do you determine this Vista Gold is approx 1.4" less capable on a clad dime . . . . in a test-garden."

Tom's answer: "My brain is exceptionally sensitive to any/all performance increase(s) in depth"...

Are you freaking kidding me...forget about it. That's absolutely insane. You got a coin buried. Both machines can hear it, but his brain says one gets it "approximately" 1.4" deeper....think what this guy is saying. It's the most incredulous statement I have EVER heard in this hobby. No wonder there is NEVER video to back anything up...

Listen Gman - I don't know you so why don't you go eat your sour grapes at Dankowski and let the guys here see what will be a real video with machines that will be tuned by experts...for all to see and no one to complain about. I believe that Terry is expert at all the machines he will be bringing and you can bet your latest wheat penny you found that the guy running the DeepTech Vista GOLD knows his machine...

Funny Barry you liked NASA Toms site when you were posting all your FREE Infomercials there.
After getting tossed with repeated warnings, you have a problem.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the weather holds, we should be shooting the tests on a Long Island Sound beach by 10:30am tomorrow. The gentleman that shot the first video is someone I have met, and is a long time hobbyist with a lot of metal detecting knowledge. I hope to learn something, have a great time, and maybe even find some booty. Stay Tuned!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions