minelab 705 vs omega 8000

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get a Tesoro Vaquero, and turn your discrimination up to max. All you will find is Silver and Clad down to around 10". NO detector is going to knock out pulltabs if you are looking for gold.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry is right, if you try to separate pulltabs and beer caps from gold, you will lose at least 50% of (all) gold, and especially large men's rings. All three detectors are vastly different from each other, so don't buy unless you try, and research, research, research. BTW, if you have somewhat red or dark slate colored soil (magnetite or hematite) you should get the Omega. If not, the Vaquero would be the best bet. Get a magnet, run it through the soil with many passes through it. If you get lots of iron stuck to the magnet you have a lot of Fe in the soil, hence the Omega will be best of the three, but still not the best for high iron soil, because a dual frequency works best for coin hunting in it. If you don't have high Fe, you would like the smooth-running Vaquero, it being deeper seeking than the other two in milder soil.. If you like complexity, good depth, a jumpy needle, a short battery life, and digging lots of tinfoil, get the 705. Yes, the 705 finds some pretty small gold/silver deep, but so do the other two.

For myself I would opt for the Omega, but your situation has different requirements, especially since you already have a rather nice one, the Cibola. If I were you I would buy the slightly deeper Vaquero, sell the Cibola, and then get the Omega when you have the money. If you hunt salt beaches you need a completely different detector than all three of them.:thumb_up:

Larry

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like complexity, good depth, a jumpy needle, a short battery life, and digging lots of tinfoil, get the 705. Yes, the 705 finds some pretty small gold/silver deep, but so do the other two.
Jumpy "needle"? On a 705?
Short battery life? I guess...if 30-40hrs on four AA batts is short, or if you don't use headphones, or if you run the backlight all the time.

I do dig some foil, but only if I'm chasing gold with a less than optimal frequency coil.

IMO, the 705 properly set up runs about as smoothly as the Tesoro, and times more stable than the Omega. The 705 also handles EMI better than either of the others.

A 3kHz coil on a 705 is hard to beat with any other single frequency machine on copper and silver where soil conditions allow it's use. And the fact that you can make major changes in the characteristics of the machine by making a coil change means that the 705 is also the most flexible of the three.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the 705 in high iron soil has a "jumpy" needle. And yes too, people often complain about it, and its foil-finding ability. And most people do not use headphones. Without headphones most people get around 10 hours battery life.

In average soil the Vaquero even beats the Explorer II for depth. And yes, I agree that the Omega is noisier than the 705, but in most soils it's also slightly deeper by about 1", while the Vaquero is noticeably deeper than both of them by 3" for a nickel.

Some comparisons: And I made a special effort to find the deepest air test I could find for the 705. The Vaquero beats them all, and it handles bad ground better than the Tejon too:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnNwcGzNqBA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mCdtEbiBg

Larry

Last edited:

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
That YouTube video comparing the Exp II and Vaquero is flawed and NOT indicative of real world results.
-The poster of the vid is using the Explorer in auto and indoors. The EMI and metal from inside the house will force the software to cut back sensitivity until it is stable.
- The poster has a DD coil on, that is on its side. Scanning a target from that direction is not accurate!
I've used the Exp II since 2005. Been working beside other detector brands and NEVER been out "depthed". And it's well known that minelabs don't perform the best in air tests. They hate air! Now I may sound brand loyal but I'm not. Nothing out there made today would make me drop the Exp II.....except maybe the CTX3030 with GPS and bein water proof. This is my 2c worth.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first video the etrac sensitivity is set to 23 and bumped to25 and starts to get noisey, then to show how much deeper the vaq is he putts it in supertune and its chirping just sitting there. So one we'll keep stable and the other is so unstable it cackles just resting in place. I own an explorer and a vaq there are places I would grab the vaq before the minelab but park hunting isn't one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread