CTX3030 vs AT pro w/ Storm coil

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he was moving the CTX coil much too fast for a FBS machine. I have ran a AT Pro with a NEL coil for a couple years and can tell you that if used properly the CTX will pick up the same target as any AT Pro.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching some of his other videos....I am impressed with the depth gain over the stock coil. And I have not been impressed with any of the FBS machines in my soil here in VA.

Choppadude.....I look forward to seeing/talking to you in WV this April....

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoover.JPG
Looks like he forgot to show the sensitivity panel on the CTX's screen. That of course would have confirmed that the CTX was running in auto +3 as he stated, and it also would have displayed the exact sensitivity number that it was running at.

Even if he had the sensitivity maxed out in manual.......... and even if he had NOT been scrubbing that CTX coil like a monkey washing a car.......... it's still a comparison of an 11" coil to a 13x14" coil. Not hard to predict the winner.

Comparison videos like this one just plain "hoover."

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blah blah blah for two thousand more. It shouldn't matter what coil the AT has the 30/30 should tare it up "Right"?

The Storm is great. You'll love it and weighs the same as the stock coil.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would be happy with it. Your ability to identify with the 3030 is far superior to the Pro. I don't own a 3030 but have used one and agree it is amore refined machine compared to my Pro.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never knew why ones would pay $1200.00 to $2500.00 for a coin detector .. I am a Garrett and Minelab user but at one time i did not like my AT but now i use it more than the Minelab's .. For my AT has proved to me it is deeper than my Minelabs .... So you will have a lot of Minelab users coming up with all kinds of crazy things why the AT was more deep than the 3030 ...BUT the real reason the AT was more deep than the 3030 was that in real life to be honest .. The AT is a better detector for depth than the Minelab..And what good is more refined if it does not get as deep ???????

Last edited:

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that the Nel Storm is for the AT Gold. What is the matching coil for the AT Pro called.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test is BS........... Stock coil on 3030 is 11", ATPro isn't using stock it is using 13x14 coil, it should have been stock vs stock or large vs large. They also were using Auto +3 for sensitivity on the 3030, auto is no where near as deep as manual, it should have been in manual which is much deeper than auto. I get over 12+ inches on manual 24-27. I have buried targets in garden over 12 inches and 3030 has no problem seeing it...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching some of his other videos....I am impressed with the depth gain over the stock coil. And I have not been impressed with any of the FBS machines in my soil here in VA.

Choppadude.....I look forward to seeing/talking to you in WV this April....

Same here! Am hoping the weather is nice but packing for anything that comes up. We can do a real life comparison if we get a chance. I will be bringing the CTX but will be hunting up another AT Pro before then as I have had the best luck with the AT Pro at all the relic hunts I have attended.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here! Am hoping the weather is nice but packing for anything that comes up. We can do a real life comparison if we get a chance. I will be bringing the CTX but will be hunting up another AT Pro before then as I have had the best luck with the AT Pro at all the relic hunts I have attended.

Have you tried an AT Gold? Although I have done well with my AT pro including 2 plates( 1 U.S. plate at 14") ......the Gold is the better machine for deep brass and lead. Its true all metal mode is great!

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there would be plenty of excuses for the results in this test, but the truth is that the CTX costs 2000 dollars more and should blow the Garrett away!!! I think the the CTX and other minelabs are great for certain things but deeper relics is not that purpose!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro with Nel is way more value for your money. Find a good site and just about any detector will get the job done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there would be plenty of excuses for the results in this test, but the truth is that the CTX costs 2000 dollars more and should blow the Garrett away!!! I think the the CTX and other minelabs are great for certain things but deeper relics is not that purpose!

Its not an excuse when they used the wrong settings to compare results, what if they had used half sensitivity on ATPro to do test, would that have been a fair comparison. They maxed out the sensitivity on the ATPro but used auto sensitivity on the 3030 which is NOT the max sensitivity.

If your happy with your ATP that is good, I'm more than happy with my 3030 and I have hunting partners that have the ATPro...

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auot sens. is what 99% od the minelab users I know use in normal conditions.....The Andy Sabbich book even recommends it! Yes, it is an excuse! Manual sense cranked up is unstable on the higher end minelabs and is not s "usable" option! I have owned higher end Minelabs and chose to sale them....

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone not familiar with Minelabs, Auto Sensitivity when selected, uses the highest sense setting the machine can run at and remain stable! So....plus 3 would be 3 levels above that! So I don't see where this comparison was unfair to the BMW when being compared to the lowly Kia.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread