CTX3030 vs AT pro w/ Storm coil

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone not familiar with Minelabs, Auto Sensitivity when selected, uses the highest sense setting the machine can run at and remain stable! So....plus 3 would be 3 levels above that! So I don't see where this comparison was unfair to the BMW when being compared to the lowly Kia.....

I told you because manual is deeper than auto, only use auto if you can't get it stable in manual... I am very familiar with Minelabs , I have owned 3 Excals, 2 sovereign GTs, a Safari, an ETrac and a 3030..., I still own a Sov GT, 2 Excals, ETrac and the 3030....

Like I said if your happy with the ATPro that is good, but that video comparison is BS...I have no problem running in manual and it sees targets over 12 inches....It also sees and displays multiple targets at the same time telling which are good and which are bad...

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My CTX is as stable as hell in Auto +3. So stable that it made me go to manual mode.

I have used a lot of different machines over the last 20 years, and if I do not hear some 'chatter' then I assume that I am not running at full capacity.

I love the way people like to compare different machines as if there is 'one answer' to everyones detector needs.

I sold 4 detectors to pay for half of my CTX, so for all of you detectorists that feel that here is a right or wrong answer, go figure that one out.

I detect for fun, and my CTX is a blast.

I cannot use an ATP because the sound is not to my liking.

I bought a CTX because I like it, and no other reason.

Dug a nickel at 10" in a field of iron last Sunday, and that still has me grinning.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter....your 12 inches in florida is the same as about 6 here in Virginia.....The test was in Maryland and the ground is not the great stuff you all have down there. If you have the right ground the Minelabs cant be beat.....but I don't have that ground here and you are setting yourself up for a 2500 dollar disappointment here......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter....your 12 inches in florida is the same as about 6 here in Virginia.....The test was in Maryland and the ground is not the great stuff you all have down there. If you have the right ground the Minelabs cant be beat.....but I don't have that ground here and you are setting yourself up for a 2500 dollar disappointment here......

Im not there and yes ground minerals are different in different parts of the country, but the video implies the 3030 want go as deep as ATPro and that isn't true. It would have been better if he had at least attempted to to run it in manual......

I know people in other states using manual sensitivity on the 3030 with no issues....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The test is BS because every seasoned Minelab user will admit FBS sucks at air tests. And his "tests" were nothing more than air tests, period. Further more, if you want a machine that just beeps, get a pulse machine.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
He was implying that 2500 $$ machine should measure up even with its stock coil to a 500$ machine.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If Minelab had the same size coil I'm sure it would have hit at that depth. So basically the AT can reach the same depths as the CTX,..just using bigger coils. I'll wait to buy a CTX for now.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think every detector has greater abilities in the right hands regardless of bells and whistles or price. I just bought a new Garrett Infinium and I bet a seasoned detectorist with a much cheaper detector could pretty much clean my clock, not because the detector is lesser value but because my skillset isn't there yet. I put very little weight on comparisons what i do take from them is seeing their construction, how easy or not so easy to operate and quality, thats what I value.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The test is BS because every seasoned Minelab user will admit FBS sucks at air tests. And his "tests" were nothing more than air tests, period. Further more, if you want a machine that just beeps, get a pulse machine.

My FBS tests weren't air tests.....and they sucked there also. But my test were in the morning and every experienced minelab user knows that they perform way better in the afternoon....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 12+ inches on air test of 3030 using manual sensitivity...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My FBS tests weren't air tests.....and they sucked there also. But my test were in the morning and every experienced minelab user knows that they perform way better in the afternoon....
The minute you say FBS sucks, I end the conversation. Enjoy your AT pro, wish you all the luck with it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Minelab 3030 is definitely one awesome machine that is in a league of its own that other detectors just don't and can't compare. But when simple comparisons in depth with other detectors costing less can keep up just buy modifying/upgrading coil sizes..., well, what can you argue about anymore?? Really?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Minelab 3030 is definitely one awesome machine that is in a league of its own that other detectors just don't and can't compare. But when simple comparisons in depth with other detectors costing less can keep up just buy modifying/upgrading coil sizes..., well, what can you argue about anymore?? Really?

Goldhound, you can argue about the CTX's strength, which is picking good targets out of area's that are filled with iron. Or you can argue that it is ultimately customizable in terms of the audio patterns available so you can make it sound the way you want. Or, you can argue that you can dive with it, keep track of field coverage with the GPS, save findpoints to log your finds with settings shown, see multiple targets below the coil with Target Trace, or you can argue that it is simply a joy to hold in your hand and admire the build quality.

I think that we all know that it is not for everyone, any at that price point it should be obvious.

If I wanted pure depth, I would use one of my PI machines.

But, if it were a rip off, why am I giddy every time I use it despite laying out 2 grand?

Past machines: XLT, CZ6a and CZ7a Pro, MXT, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Cutlass II, Xterra and a few more still in my closet.

To each his own.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Oh, totally forgot! I had a Sovereign with the 15" WOT coil.

Someone should do an air test with that!

Scary deep.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, totally forgot! I had a Sovereign with the 15" WOT coil.

Someone should do an air test with that!

Scary deep.
I have Sov GT with 15" WOT, 12x15" SEF and 15x18" SEF Butterfly coils....

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Treasure Hunter, very nice setup.

I had an older XS model, but I do not know that any of the models are not killers for depth.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Talking depth only!!!That was what the comparison video was all about.. Nothing comparing all the other fancy modes. If you want to talk about all the other capabilities on one vs the other,?..well of course the 3030 is way better. Frick' lmao

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
No but your sensitive and getting fancy! Take your 3030 out to dinner. When you get drunk "beer" guy" and can't find your way..she'll take you home with her gps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread