at max verse a teknitics !

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep put the small coil on the max then try the test. Slow your swing down as well. I've pulled IH cents and half cents out with at gold in nails and trash with small coil. Not everyone likes Garrett because it's popular and they are a Target for everyone. It's funny to see the lengths people will go to say the at series are junk. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

I have taken a far different message from this. I seen where a new Garrett machine was put up against a New machine of a different brand. Both were subjected to the same tests using the same methods. One machine passed and the other did not for that particular test only. If your detecting style falls under this area where the deficiency was reported which I believe would be the coin/trash end of the styles. Then maybe you should make note of this if you are in the process of researching for a new toy. This is not to say that anything is junk or any of that, It just says that there is a weak area of performance among the full capabilities of that machine. I have logged many hundreds of hard hours on Garrett machines and I would probably say that the AT pro is my go to machine for most of my hunting area. Knowing and understanding the device you are using is key to the degree of success you will experience during your hunt. With that in mind there is a work around method in a lot of cases for those type of short comings by approaching the target area from many different directions.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a video I did with mine yesterday..

Something might be wrong with that guys machine. I am not making any claims to the at max being awesome or crappy, Just what the machine I bought to test sounds like.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have like to seen it with iron audio on though. A lot of people like to say I'm bashing but I see it like bowinkles its a test and one machine did better than another. I have used the at pro and tested it, I really learned to detect with a at pro. I'm really not a fan of the at series at all after switching to the deus and then starting to test detectors against the at series. Many will disagree but performance wise I believe there are better detectors in that price range if your not looking for a water machine. I don't shoot at garrett because they are a big company I say things because I believe the at series is over hyped performance wise....that's just my opinion and others have theirs..

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have like to seen it with iron audio on though. A lot of people like to say I'm bashing but I see it like bowinkles its a test and one machine did better than another. I have used the at pro and tested it, I really learned to detect with a at pro. I'm really not a fan of the at series at all after switching to the deus and then starting to test detectors against the at series. Many will disagree but performance wise I believe there are better detectors in that price range if your not looking for a water machine. I don't shoot at garrett because they are a big company I say things because I believe the at series is over hyped performance wise....that's just my opinion and others have theirs..

I can tell you from what I have seen is you go a little far IMO with the Deus bias to the point of having blinders on possibly. It seems as though it is a mission of yours to tell everyone how good the deus is against their machine and after a while it wears on people, There is no doubt the deus is a fine machine for some people. But no matter how much YOU like the machine it may not be for everyone else. After all we are all out to have fun with this hobby and if one machine doesn't let you have fun like another might there is no sense using it. I do appreciate the time you have put in testing the deus as you have learned it well, I would just spend a little less time forcing how much better you think it is on others vs their choice.

As far as the AT MAX

Iron Audio(I rarely use Iron Audio personally), If I put Iron audio on it would have made all sorts of iron noises like it is supposed to over those nails. The point of me doing the video like his was to show that his machine may be having issues with discriminating out iron and that was it. Mine wasn't doing that so the test was a success in showing the difference.

So far I have ran the At Max for a 6 to 8hrs with the small coil and have found that the machine seems to work pretty good. It appears it tells me rather well when you have iron in the hole more so than a lot of other machines I have run. It does pop on the edge of the signals with iron and cleans up with a good signals. The down fall for me though like most single frequency machines is it starts reading real high on targets in my soil at shallow depths. I took it out to the a local swimming hole and every target read high if it was not near the surface, Every single target. If I am looking for mid tones this is completely worthless to me as I will not dig it all especially in water, Way to much work.. Then once you get to the fringes of detection depth The At Max in my soil it starts to just sound like Iron. Another item is the wireless headphones. The sound is perfect with them and they are fairly comfortable on my noggin. But I have had a few times where they lose signal temporally, They always come back but it is slightly annoying. I notice it more after the battery is getting lower. I may end up doing a short review video on the Max once I get a little more time in on it.. All that said I still don't have much time on it to really give a conclusive opinion on the machine over all, that is just my initial observations.

For me so far I have only found 2 machines that have been dependable in my soil and they have saved me lots of time detecting, More importantly they have made detecting fun!! These has been the Etrac and CTX. When I am on the fringe of detection depth I have always gotten a dependable tone accurate to what the target really is. The signal never reverts to a iron tone on something it isn't. For me that is worth its weight in gold as I have no desire to dig every target in areas I hunt most of the time.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the dues and ran it multiple times over a very iron littered field where a house once stood. I've set it up many ways to get the best performance. The at gold has hammered this site as well. The only thing the dues found that the gold didn't was an IH cent. The gold must have cleaned that place pretty good because I know for a fact the xp deus can get between those nails and junk to find the good stuff. That told me alot about the at gold because the gold pulled over 20 IH cents from the site along with seated silver and large cents. Just my exp.

Sent from my XT1585 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted next to a buddy with an AT max over the weekend. Even though I feel there is some hype he pulled some good finds in the trash with a huge attack coil. First time I was impressed with it. Seems he is getting a handle on the machine. I will say it is a deep, powerful unit. All metal mode you need a backhoe to dig your signals. The tones do seem kinda wonky and that has been his main complaint since using it over the pro lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions