I Could Really Use Some Help

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to do some research on them and get the best that I can for my Wife for a present and I have been suggested so many options it is crazy.

We are in Missouri which is LOADED with rocks in our area.
We have no need for it to be waterproof.
I definitely need a light weight or 2 piece one as I have 2 torn Rotator Cuffs.
We would be looking for silver, gold, and relics.

With these requirements I have been suggested the following. (Now you understand why I am going crazy)

Can you help at least narrow it down for us? Tell what is good for us and why or what is not good and why. All help would be really appreciated.

XP Deus

Tesoro Lobo
Tesoro Cibola

Nokta AU
Nokta Golden King

Treasure Commander
Eurotech Pro
Omega 8000
Minelab Equinox
Xterra 305
Bounty Hunter
EXP XS

Fisher F5
Fisher F70
Fisher f75
Fisher F2
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Whites trx pinpointer
White’s MX7
White's Coinmasters
White's GMT
White's MXT

Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett ATX
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett ATX
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett ACE 350

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only comment on the machines I have used. The lightest weight machine is the XP Deus. It's like swinging a fly swatter it's so light. Right now it is my primary go to machine. I have a Tesoro Vaquero as a backup. I have a lot of arthritis and can't swing a heavy machine or one that is not balanced correctly.

I had an Equinox 600 and it was nose heavy and hurt my shoulder to swing it.

I had an AT Pro and thought it was very heavy and sold it fast. I think all the AT Products come in at about the same weight. You might check the weights on anything you are considering.

I have a Tesoro Cibola and it is a breeze to use and finds a lot. It is very light weight and easy to swing.

The others, I have not had personal experience with. I hope this helps. There is a huge price range you're talking about also.

If at all possible, try out the machines at a dealer if one is nearby.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I also live in MO., for every wheelbarrow full of rocks you get a teaspoon of dirt...lol
But the detector won't change that at all..you still gotta dig'em..lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero - 2.3lbs

Minelab Equinox 600 - 3lbs

:skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus 2.0 pounds and if you put the control box in a pocket, 1.9 pounds.

OP
OP
C

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it, so please keep it coming.

Lairmo Any tricks to digging besides a bulldozer. LOL

OP
OP
C

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and I have no way to try the machines as I live way out in the boonies. But we love it.

My budget has to be less then $1,000.00 each

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is buy 2 equinox 600s they are great performers and the best bang for your buck. I have the deus and the equinox. Deus is lighter but cost a lot more too. The equinox is the best all around detector on the market now. Use a forum sponsor and I bet they can be had for 629.00 a piece. I have a lot of test videos just go to my channel calabash digger....

JFITTZZZ

May 6, 2012
Mansfield Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh and I have no way to try the machines as I live way out in the boonies. But we love it.

My budget has to be less then $1,000.00 each

I think your crazy to consider anything other than the Equinox 800 right now. Find a military friend and get yourself 15 percent military discount! I got mine for just over $750.00. There is no way your will find anything that will compete at that price range. If you get a single frequency detector you will just be walking by certain targets.

OP
OP
C

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all You have been great I have narrowed down to 4 units
So give me opinions on these 4 only please

XP Deus ******** $1565 2lbs

Tesoro Vaquero **** $525 2.2lbs

Fisher f75 SE **** $800 $3lbs

Garrett Ace 400 **** $340 2.9lbs

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why no equinox on your list? It seems to be the most versatile detector ever built....and light!

OP
OP
C

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found on the site that it was over 3lbs that was the main reason.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
What about Teknetics T2ltd, you get 5 '' coil and headphones as well as the stock 11'' coil plus a few other goodies. it's on par with the F75 for $699 and free shipping. Don't let the weight fool you, it is well balance same with other machines, some are nose heavy tho like the ATPRO. The T2 is light and well balanced with good depth and fast separation, I just ordered one

The Deus is a good machine costly tho, the garratt 400 well I could never take that one seriously and tesoro make good machines too

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to drive 200 miles, I would try out a detector first. Just my opinion. For centuries I used a Tesoro Cibola and a Tesoro Vaquero. They found gold coins, gold rings, jars of clad, Civil War relics, aluminum, you name it. I still have them. I purchased the XP Deus two Novembers ago and found it much lighter and now it is my go to machine. I have nicknamed the Deus "Killer". The Vaquero is a killer of a different sort, it has a dual discrimination circuit on it and with a flick of your finger while in mid swing you can toggle between the levels of discrimination you have preset it for. Either of those two I can recommend. Looks like you also need a lightweight machine.

The other two, I have not used. I had the AT Pro, too heavy, and don't personally want a whole house full of metal detectors. For convenience and weight, the XP Deus is the lightest weight and easiest to swing machine on the market.

That extra pound stinks, especially if it's nose heavy. Some machines like that are like swinging a broom! Good luck with your decision. Try looking at some youtube videos on each machine. There should be a zillion out there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found on the site that it was over 3lbs that was the main reason.

It isn't. It is 3-pounds. It is a superior machine to EVERYTHING you listed. Big Gold 2 U. :skullflag:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is a whole house full of detectors in one! It is a multi freq. Machine ....any of several single freq. You may want....waterproof....light compared to just about anything machine other than the Deus and you can buy one and a Vaquero for the price of a loaded Deus. I predict many Deus users will be swinging minelabs a year from now. The Equinox is also a REAL beach machine. A real beach machine is either multi frequency or a PI and is waterproof....the Deus is niether. Deus is a superb machine that has held the #1 spot for a while now, but it's reign is over.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Black Vaquero and 5.75 concentric try to find one used, and Equinox 600 could get for both of you.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only thing I wanted to point out is that f75 can be had for much less than $800.00. I just got an Equinox 800 and though it's not the same ergonomically as my F75 it still feels very light and puts my shoulder in a better position it seems.....kind of hard to describe. Any of the machines on the narrowed down list would put a smile on both of your faces. The today's finds section was rocking even before the release of the equinox! I know it's hard to believe, lol...

OP
OP
C

CustomCorvette

Mar 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone i decided on a Used Deus, Thanks again to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread