Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    6713 times
    The Truth

Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA

Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA

November 22nd, 2013

(NewAmerican) - Seen any walnuts in your medicine cabinet lately? According to the Food and Drug Administration, that is precisely where you should find them. Because Diamond Foods made truthful claims about the health benefits of consuming walnuts that the FDA didn’t approve, it sent the company a letter declaring, “Your walnut products are drugs” — and “new drugs” at that — and, therefore, “they may not legally be marketed … in the United States without an approved new drug application.” The agency even threatened Diamond with “seizure” if it failed to comply.
    Diamond Food Inc. 2/22/10

Diamond’s transgression was to make “financial investments to educate the public and supply them with walnuts,” as William Faloon of Life Extension magazine put it. On its website and packaging, the company stated that the omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts have been shown to have certain health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer. These claims, Faloon notes, are well supported by scientific research: “Life Extension has published 57 articles that describe the health benefits of walnuts”; and “The US National Library of Medicine database contains no fewer than 35 peer-reviewed published papers supporting a claim that ingesting walnuts improves vascular health and may reduce heart attack risk.”
    FDA Says Walnuts Are Illegal Drugs ? Life Extension

This evidence was apparently not good enough for the FDA, which told Diamond that its walnuts were “misbranded” because the “product bears health claims that are not authorized by the FDA.”

The FDA’s letter continues: “We have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease.” Furthermore, the products are also “misbranded” because they “are offered for conditions that are not amenable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners; therefore, adequate directions for use cannot be written so that a layperson can use these drugs safely for their intended purposes.” Who knew you had to have directions to eat walnuts?

“The FDA’s language,” Faloon writes, “resembles that of an out-of-control police state where tyranny [reigns] over rationality.” He adds:

This kind of bureaucratic tyranny sends a strong signal to the food industry not to innovate in a way that informs the public about foods that protect against disease. While consumers increasingly reach for healthier dietary choices, the federal government wants to deny food companies the ability to convey findings from scientific studies about their products.

Walnuts aren’t the only food whose health benefits the FDA has tried to suppress. Producers of pomegranate juice and green tea, among others, have felt the bureaucrats’ wrath whenever they have suggested that their products are good for people.

Meanwhile, Faloon points out, foods that have little to no redeeming value are advertised endlessly, often with dubious health claims attached. For example, Frito-Lay is permitted to make all kinds of claims about its fat-laden, fried products, including that Lay’s potato chips are “heart healthy.” Faloon concludes that “the FDA obviously does not want the public to discover that they can reduce their risk of age-related disease by consuming healthy foods. They prefer consumers only learn about mass-marketed garbage foods that shorten life span by increasing degenerative disease risk.”

Faloon thinks he knows why this is the case. First, by stifling competition from makers of more healthful alternatives, junk food manufacturers, who he says “heavily lobb[y]” the federal government for favorable treatment, will rake in ever greater profits. Second, by making it less likely that Americans will consume healthful foods, big pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers stand to gain by selling more “expensive cardiac drugs, stents, and coronary bypass procedures” to those made ill by their diets.

But people are starting to fight back against the FDA’s tactics. “The makers of pomegranate juice, for example, have sued the FTC for censoring their First Amendment right to communicate scientific information to the public,” Faloon reports. Congress is also getting into the act with a bill, the Free Speech About Science Act (H.R. 1364), that, Faloon writes, “protects basic free speech rights, ends censorship of science, and enables the natural health products community to share peer-reviewed scientific findings with the public.”

Of course, if the Constitution were being followed as intended, none of this would be necessary. The FDA would not exist; but if it did, as a creation of Congress it would have no power to censor any speech whatsoever. If companies are making false claims about their products, the market will quickly punish them for it, and genuine fraud can be handled through the courts. In the absence of a government agency supposedly guaranteeing the safety of their food and drugs and the truthfulness of producers’ claims, consumers would become more discerning, as indeed they already are becoming despite the FDA’s attempts to prevent the dissemination of scientific research. Besides, as Faloon observed, “If anyone still thinks that federal agencies like the FDA protect the public, this proclamation that healthy foods are illegal drugs exposes the government’s sordid charade.”

Source: The New American
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

Liberals,too stupid to know that they are really communists.

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.”

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
    becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5228 times
    Cache Hunting
    I ate walnuts regularly. They raised my good cholesterol. They lowered my bad cholesterol. They lowered my triglycerides.

I no longer need the statin drugs.

So, gooberment decides that they are an illegal drug ...

So damned intelligent.

... but let's legalize pot.
    CoilyGirl likes this.
    “The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself, but the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6449 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh, give me a freakin break! (not you, RJC, Chad....)

Even sugar is listed in the PDR, but ya don't see "diabetic warnings" on every product containing sugar/corn syrup cwap!

Warning: continually eating this product and like ones, containing sugar, may cause you to become diabetic! And fat!

For snack, I like dates and walnuts. Of course, they should warn you, not to overindulge!
    pippinwhitepaws likes this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    6713 times
    The Truth
    So, gooberment decides that they are an illegal drug ...

So damned intelligent.

... but let's legalize pot.
    The sad thing is that theres probably some members here that will defend the FDA

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.”

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3245 times
    ...I know walnuts dont burn very good

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27980 times
    We alwas have walnuts, almonds, cashews and pecans around the house to snack on.....

We will NOT go quitely into the night!
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Mar 2012
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Excal, Sov GT
    492 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Not to knock the feel good all government is bad party here, this is a consumer protection case. The FDA has done nothing more here than protect the public from false advertising.

No one, including the FDA, is arguing the health benefits of Walnuts. However, in this case the company was branding their Walnuts as a medication.

The company in question, Diamond foods, settled with the FDA and agreed to stop the unlawful behavior.

And yes, if the FDA is looking to protect me from corporate greed, I will defend it!

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    6713 times
    The Truth
    Look there comes one of them now.

G.A.P.metal likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Excal, Sov GT
    492 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James cash View Post
    Look there comes one of them now.

Red, thx for the insight! Good to know where you are coming from!

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    6449 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin-N-Dumps View Post
    ...I know walnuts dont burn very good
    You have to crush them up first, silly!
    CoilyGirl likes this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27980 times
    Government also says there is no medical value to pot, we all know what a big lie that is...

We will NOT go quitely into the night!
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    6713 times
    The Truth
    Red, thx for the insight! Good to know where you are coming from!
    Hey no problem,anytime at all,you can count on me

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2438 times
    From the OP: "Source: The New American"

Otherwise know as the magazine for the John Birch society. Not exactly the kind of neutral, objective, "news source" that people with education and intellect seek out. But I will read it anyway, and see what sources they cite, and if they can be verified.
    Old Bookaroo likes this.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    6713 times
    The Truth
    Not exactly the kind of neutral, objective, "news source" that people with education and intellect seek out
    Better stick to your lame stream media matty,its where all the intellectuals hangout.

Charter Member
    us

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    6449 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Heck no! The FDA can't have my guns!

How else, I gonna shoot them walnuts outta them trees!

(keeping us pc there, rjc, ya know 2nd and all.....)
    CoilyGirl likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links