DESERT SURVIVAL TIPS

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
architecad said:
Hey Old Dog

Everytime I see any thread by you and I look your avatar of that dog, quickly pop up on my mind the picture that it is the dog who typing the thread, not you. :laughing7: I don't know. Many people say dogs tend to looks like the owner. Please don't get insult, it's not my intention.

Regard

Archtecad

Hey Arch,
Nope I don't look like him,
I am having a hard time ... having lost him last week.
Here is an old thread with a picture of me,
Just so everyone can see.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119718.0.html

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Thread Roy,

I would add that I have about 15 or so Military Field Manuals that pertain to survival and working in difficult climates and terrains free for download in the "References" Section of my website at http://1oro1.com/reference/index.html

I also have a Survival Section, but I will only add here that other than WORKING knowledge of life in Difficult Climates, the other two things that are VERY important are:

1: WATER! WATER! WATER!

* One Gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds

* Your body loses 1-2 quarts of water per hour in the desert through sweating

* That means for an eight hour day, you would need to carry 4 gallons of water (2 quarts X 8 hours= 16 quarts / 4= 4 gallons).

* That means you have to plan on carrying almost 33.5 pounds of JUST WATER! Not counting all your other gear.

2. SHOES/BOOTS!

The following is quoted from my website:

In the desert, you will encounter many different types of terrain. You will also encounter about as many types of footwear as you will types of terrain.

It has been my experience that the best way to go is to find boots that are as light as possible, while still affording you the protection you will need.

Things to take into consideration are:

* What types of terrain will you be hiking in?
o Deep Sand
o Shallow sand over hardpan
o Rocky terrain
o Mountainous
o Combinations of the above
* How well conditioned are your legs?
* Will there be a lot of cacti?
* Will there be poisonous snakes (If so, do you have snake leggings)?
* How much can you afford?

Heavy Soled Boots: These boots typically have large lugs and are very heavy. Good for rough terrain. They usually have very good ankle support. They also offer good protection from snakebites and cactus for what they cover. They are not the best for deep sand or hard steep climbing conditions. They usually don't drain very well if you walk through water.

Hiking Shoes: They are typically light, and easy to walk in. They make decent climbers, and are comfortable. they do not offer much snakebite or cactus protection. They leave ankles exposed to being smacked against a sharp rockface (and it WILL happen), and they usually have little to no ankle support.

Military Boots: Army Desert Combat Boots are what I usually wear. They are light, yet rugged (enough). They make decent climbers, and have decent enough ankle support. If you walk through water, they have drain holes in them. They also breathe very well (which make them easier on the nose when you take them off at night). They have very little snakebite or cactus protection (but that's why you have snake leggings).

When it comes to footwear, the most important thing to have are GOOD SOCKS! Like water, socks are a place where you don't want to skimp. Spend the money and get some good cushioned hiking socks.

If your boots didn't come with them (most do), don't forget a good pair of supportive cushioned insoles.

If you haven't guessed by now, I am placing about as much stress on taking good care of your tootsies as I do on having enough water. Your feet are what you will be relying on to get you to where you are going, and back to the car. TAKE CARE OF THEM!

Best-Mike

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Thank you Mike (and you others too) for the excellent advice and links for more info. Your covering of the importance of taking care of your FEET brings up a good question - suppose you have lost your footgear? If you have vehicle tires from your (presumed) dead vehicle and a good sharp knife, you can fashion a pair of serviceable sandals by cutting out a pattern of your foot from the thick tread part of the tires, and lacing it to your feet. Not anywhere near as good as hiking boots by any means, but far better than going it barefoot. Failing this, you may be able to fashion some kind of foot protection out of some of your vehicle's upholstery, or even a piece of clothing.

Thanks again guys,
Oroblanco

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mike. good info :icon_thumright:, And your website is awsome! :read2:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
Now I ask you, don't I resemble a famous Hollywood movie star?
images

ahhhhhhhh yeah I came name a few.....But I think the best place for your mug in Hollywood would be BEHIND the camera !!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

I'm not one to talk....that's why you NEVER see any of my pixs with me in them....LOL!!!!!

Love ya like a brother ( that's why I can do this ).....
PLL

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Pegleglooker wrote
that's why you NEVER see any of my pixs with me in them

C'mon now amigo, we know the real reason - you're so danged handsome that ladies fall in love at first sight, and the pesky "papparozzi" won't leave you a moment's rest. <I know just how it is. :o ::) :laughing9:>

So, it is "safe" in here amigo - you know us well enough and we won't tell anyone, <much ;D> you could post a pic of yourself here....we won't let the ladies see. Trust me. :wink: :tongue3:;D :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
and the number one all time best advice is if you didnt loose anything in the desert stay out of the desert unless you have a satellite phone, 20 gallons of water ,gun and plenty of ammo,and a case of mres , combat medic field kit and a snake , puma ,wolf ,or other critters proof tent that you can zip shut and they cant eat their way in and dont pee in the dark unless you aim a light where you are gonna pee pee on a big diamond back and you might get bit

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Olepossum wrote
pee on a big diamond back and you might get bit

That sounds rather like the voice of experience.....I sure hope someone didn't have to learn this the hard way! :o ::) ;D :icon_thumleft:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
:laughing9: :laughing7: :hello2: :notworthy:

Dang it John that one almost caused a coffee-double-nostril-explosion! I should learn to watch out what I ask you fer.... ;D :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Attention to everyone here

Because we're talking about "DOG", this picture it was sent to me for a fellow that hate Chavez and this is the only pics I have about dogs and I like to share, I found it nice and perfect art, therefore if it's offensive, just let me know, I remove it as soon as possible.

Thanks

Architecad

Attachments

• n1089534059_834.jpg
    n1089534059_834.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 649
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
:laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D :D :icon_thumleft:

Ah, that old saying is oh-so-true, "A PICTURE PAINTS A THOUSAND WORDS"! ;D :tongue3:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa said:
side thingie, wear suspenders in the desert. They permit body cooling with out too much sweatingm thus ----> home. Belts, especially if loaded with gadgets, do not.

Don Jose de La Mancha

But what about all the gadgets on my Official Batman Utility Belt?

Mike

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Gollum ,
That doesn't count cause you got an antiadversity gadget on that belt to nullify the effects ....

If you can just find it when you get in an adverse situation ;D

aztreasure

Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
One of my personal favorites, picked this up from a park ranger at South Mountain...go to the hardware store and grab a pack of flints made for a welding torch. They are threaded on the base end. Then walk over a few aisles, and find some screws that fit those threads. Put them together, and you now have a hand-held flint that you can strike for a spark with your pocket-knife (you do carry one of those at all times, right? Tip: get long enough screws for you to hold the device comfortably. Be safe out there :icon_thumleft:

Thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread