What is your favorite BANNOCK <camp-biscuit> recipe?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigo! Bannock is a simple bisquit, you can wrap the dough around a stick and bake it over the coals that way, or wrap it around hot dogs etc - in its most basic form it is flour, baking powder, salt, and water. Adding lard or shortening makes a MUCH better tasting bannock. It was one of the most important foods used by the "old timers" prospectors, trappers, hunters etc as a cheap food that is easy to make, the ingredients will keep quite some time without any kind of refrig etc. In the reflector oven I just put the dough in lumps and let it bake until it gets a nice toasty browning starting on it, pretty good when you are tired and hungry.

I do NOT have a recipe for Hardtack, and would appreciate if you would share yours? I have never even tasted hardtack, is it good?

I love my old reflector oven, and noticed that the camping supply houses today simply DON'T sell any - so I guess I better treat my old fold-up model with care. I know they are simple enough you can make your own too, I used a home-made one for years before buying the one I have now - but it had NO shelf just wire, which now I would not want to use one without a shelf.

Oroblanco

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Rando... I just posted (and removed) the SAME recipe you just posted! lol I looked over a ton of recipes for hard tack one day, just for the fun of it... and that's the one I happened to save.
I've been wanting to try it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
godisnum1 said:
Wow Rando... I just posted (and removed) the SAME recipe you just posted! lol I looked over a ton of recipes for hard tack one day, just for the fun of it... and that's the one I happened to save.
I've been wanting to try it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bran <><

lol!! Yeah... I saw that. I think I got mine from that website I recommended to you a month or so..

That's TOO funny.
:laughing7:

I USED to use the old civil war flour and water recipe til I saw THAT one a while back. It's almost TOO good...

That may have been where I got it... I honestly have not the slightest idea what site it was.
But yeah, that one is definitely modified from the original hard tack recipes.
I read the history on the stuff, and it's really interesting... and how they used to eat it (about the only way you could) with pig fat and beans, or with coffee. They did whatever they did to survive with what they had back then. It was really admirable. :)

Bran <><

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Rando ,
What Oro and G#1 said .
Grandkids and I are gonna try your version tomorrow since their school is closed .
Bran ,
I've cooked and eaten those traditional CW rations and the best that I can say about them is
that they will make a turd .
The best spice for anything edible is real hunger .
Jim

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
truckinbutch said:
Rando ,
What Oro and G#1 said .
Grandkids and I are gonna try your version tomorrow since their school is closed .
Bran ,
I've cooked and eaten those traditional CW rations and the best that I can say about them is
that they will make a turd .
The best spice for anything edible is real hunger .
Jim

:laughing9: :laughing7: :D Oh my goodness, I am glad I didn't have a big mouthful of coffee the moment I read your post there amigo, lord almighty! I am going to steal that one! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: <2 thumbs up!>
Roy ~ Oroblanco

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Oro ,
You are welcome to use that comment as you wish . I highly recommend that you do NOT! make that comment when you look at / taste what has been put before you by your loving spouse at your own table ....
The reaction can be damaging to your eyesight until the swelling goes down :tongue3:

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
:laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :icon_thumleft:

Reminds me of that old joke, extract "...say that again and you won't see me for three days"

"So I said it anyway."

"What happened?"

"On the third day, I could see her a little bit out of my left eye....." :violent1: :icon_jokercolor:
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread