Competition Shooting - Military bolt action rifles

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Here's the .303 that I mentioned inan earlier post....

Attachments

• 303_Enfield.jpg
    303_Enfield.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 951
  • 303_Enfield.jpg
    303_Enfield.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 924

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jorge del norte said:
I just bought my first mil-surp gun, or first gun for that matter........

I am the proud owner of a Mosin-Nagant m44........matching numbers...and 75 rounds....got it for $50.00 bucks, it looks brand new except for some bluing damage on the tip of barrel, and sight........

Got to go shoot it now.......

I have a Remington 22 heirloom rifle also......
cool deal has it been cleaned of the cosmoline ?

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
jorge del norte said:
I just bought my first mil-surp gun, or first gun for that matter........

I am the proud owner of a Mosin-Nagant m44........matching numbers...and 75 rounds....got it for $50.00 bucks, it looks brand new except for some bluing damage on the tip of barrel, and sight........

Got to go shoot it now.......

I have a Remington 22 heirloom rifle also......
cool deal has it been cleaned of the cosmoline ?

It has been shot before I assume it had cosmoline, and probally still has a bunch in it......from the importer.
Century Arms......

m44-0001.jpg

m44-0002.jpg

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eddystone was once a U.S. Arsenal. Your weapon was probably once a government issue?

That little M-N Model 44 is a neat little rifle or I should say carbine. You'll find it shootsa bit high at 100 yards because of the way the sight is designed for the military. You can change out the front post and correct it by putting in a longer sight pin. Also you will find that it has a different point of impact with the bayonet extended than when it is folded. That's a quirk of all M44s. I collect the model 38s that is the Model 44 without the bonet. ( They had more rifles than bayonets later in the war). Many of the Model 38s had model 44 stocks with the groove cut into the wood where the bayonet would fit when folded. The ones I collect don't have the bayonet slot and are a little rarer. Probably more than you wanted to know huh? ;) Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Eddystone was once a U.S. Arsenal. Your weapon was probably once a government issue?

That little M-N Model 44 is a neat little rifle or I should say carbine. You'll find it shootsa bit high at 100 yards because of the way the sight is designed for the military. You can change out the front post and correct it by putting in a longer sight pin. Also you will find that it has a different point of impact with the bayonet extended than when it is folded. That's a quirk of all M44s. I collect the model 38s that is the Model 44 without the bonet. ( They had more rifles than bayonets later in the war). Many of the Model 38s had model 44 stocks with the groove cut into the wood where the bayonet would fit when folded. The ones I collect don't have the bayonet slot and are a little rarer. Probably more than you wanted to know huh? ;) Monty

no no, I love the history, of these rifles.......and believe it or not TNET got me collecting guns.........

I have a older PC game called Hidden&Dangerous......and a choice of weapon is a Mosin-Nagant.....
I haven't shot it yet, I have to find a range near me.....I live in the city.....so just going out some place and shooting is not a option......

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
That is a sweet rifle! I used to have one just like it.
Get ready for the sharp recoil and wear earplugs...lol

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't shot it, have someone knowledgible to check it out for you. If the bolt has been disasembled by a novice it is quite possible it ws not properly reassembled and might not shoot. It's not an unsafe condition, but there is a trick to reassembling the bolt. Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally shot the MosinNagant M44
..shoots great......so fun!

"

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat little movie on the M44. It is about equal to the.308 power wise. I have taken a deer with the 7.62X54 in one of my M38s and it is quite adequate. I noticed you were shooting two types of ammo, one had a heck of a muzzle flash while the other was all but invisible. One characteristic of the rifle you probably did not know is that a lot of people complain of a lack of accuracy. And justifiably so. But the reason is that the bores in most of these guns measure .311" to .312" while factory loaded ammo is only .308" diameter. The bullet if lead might expand to fit the grooves, but a jacketed bullet won't. Therefore a factory jacketed bullet just rattles down the bore. I handload and use .311 bullets in mine and it shoots a nice tight group at 100 yards. I shoot a 150 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet in mine. You should slug your bore and measure it to see what size bullets to use if you ever reload. And the recoil with that little carbine stock is straight back and not severe at all. You can get a manual to learn how to disassemble it if you shop around on the net, sorry I don't have the link but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Neat little movie on the M44. It is about equal to the.308 power wise. I have taken a deer with the 7.62X54 in one of my M38s and it is quite adequate. I noticed you were shooting two types of ammo, one had a heck of a muzzle flash while the other was all but invisible. One characteristic of the rifle you probably did not know is that a lot of people complain of a lack of accuracy. And justifiably so. But the reason is that the bores in most of these guns measure .311" to .312" while factory loaded ammo is only .308" diameter. The bullet if lead might expand to fit the grooves, but a jacketed bullet won't. Therefore a factory jacketed bullet just rattles down the bore. I handload and use .311 bullets in mine and it shoots a nice tight group at 100 yards. I shoot a 150 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet in mine. You should slug your bore and measure it to see what size bullets to use if you ever reload. And the recoil with that little carbine stock is straight back and not severe at all. You can get a manual to learn how to disassemble it if you shop around on the net, sorry I don't have the link but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Monty

thanks for the info Monty! Did you notice I'm a lefty ::)....I am actually right handed but dominate eye is left.

I think I want a M38 next......something a bit more tame without a spike on the end ;D
These guns are addictive and so inexpensive to collect and shoot. They also have a interesting history.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get yourself a C&R FFL
no gun shop FFL B.S. transfer fee
send a copy of it to EVERY C&R dealer/seller
then when you see something you want
they have you on file order it then they ship it to your door no jumping threw hoops
just get a bound C&R FFL transfer data book record it into the log
BANG its yours

ps get a safe

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=14

read up on it

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, true EDDE, I have a C&R license.
Jorge, most of the M44s and M38s on the market now are comletely refurbished with a new barrel and any other necessary repairs. Look on the buttstock and you should find a square with a line diagonally through it. That indictes it has been completely rebuilt. If you get an M38, look for the one with the composite stock. It costs a little more but it is a beautiful stock. Also, you can get a scope mount that goes on the rear sight without altering the weapon. You have to use a LER or pistol scope with it. I have one on the M38 that I hunt with and I really like it. Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool nice info.....I'll think about the C&R....
got to watch my spending right now....but if I see a deal I'll hop on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread