Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this dog tag today at an old military training camp from 1917. Looking for info on this soldier. Might be able to get it back to his family. May be a great, great grandfather of someone still alive. Any ideas on how to search for info? I believe I have located his grave site at Fort Logan Cemetery in Denver. That's about it.

ForumRunner_20130817_132705.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow jmann69, that's quite a find! Congrat's and welcome.
Sometimes, I don't think, ppl stop and think, there was a live person, and human being, that this belonged to. He wore it proudly, I am sure, held it, probably clutched it and prayed many times. I would think, it had special meaning to him, and/or to his family that also made sacrifices and endured hardships, so that man could proudly wear that. Sometimes, I think, ppl don't think.
Bless you, for thinking.

Their is a Military registry, and other means to locate military personel(from back to WWI, I dunno). I haven't had to skiptrace folks in yrs, so my rolodex is LONG packed away.
Check online for Military registry. Check with your local VA, VFW, American Legion, those men will have info.
Ask down in the "Barracks" thread, those men too, may have the info you are looking for. The info may even be in a sticky thread somewhere one the board. Surely someone will come and offer some more help here. Also, that cemetery, if it is still tended, should have records.
Good luck and please do keep us posted, if you find a descendant! HH!

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pat. My grandfather was a POW and I know how it feels when ever I discover new information or receive a new item that was once his. I'll try everything I can to get this tag back in the hands of the family. If all else fails, there's always the media. I'll keep you all updated.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this is a WWI era tag. Those tended to be round. Link

I agree with OCPickle. Looking from what I can see, it looks to be WWII due to the engravings.

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out the link and it seams to that it is ww2. The area that it was found use to be a military training camp for the soldiers going to war. The camp was opened in 1917 and closed in 1919. This camp is now a city park and this tag was found in the wooded area. Ads more mystery to it.

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned that the other name on the tag is his next of kin and the address which is Denver. I found what i beleive is his grave at Fort Logan cemetery in Colorado. Still not sure how it got where I found it.

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I found out that Alfred J. Martinez enlisted 10-22-1940. He was born 1909 and passed 1998. His next of kin ( Joe C. Martinez) listed on his tag was killed in action. I have a few emails out looking for his relatives. Still am baffled as to how this tag was found in an area that closed down 21 years before he enlisted. Hope to get the scoop from his family if I every find them. Ill let you know what I find out

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since his next of kin was KIA, I'd suggest you locate the obit for Alfred; that would normally list existing family members--as of 1998. Also, if you contact the cemetery admin. office, you may also get next of kin information.
Don.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I found out that Alfred J. Martinez enlisted 10-22-1940. He was born 1909 and passed 1998. His next of kin ( Joe C. Martinez) listed on his tag was killed in action. I have a few emails out looking for his relatives. Still am baffled as to how this tag was found in an area that closed down 21 years before he enlisted. Hope to get the scoop from his family if I every find them. Ill let you know what I find out
He may have just been in the park and lost it and has nothing to do with the training camp.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Pat. My grandfather was a POW and I know how it feels when ever I discover new information or receive a new item that was once his. I'll try everything I can to get this tag back in the hands of the family. If all else fails, there's always the media. I'll keep you all updated.
Thank you for making the effort. Sometimes you have no idea how much that means to someone.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on getting help from any armed service.

About 4 years ago, I found a dog tag which dated back to the Korean war. I thought the same as you, let's get it back to the family. I found about 5 hits on Google, but none panned out. I sent numerous emails, and 2 letters, and nada! I finally gave up, and gave it to the local historical museum.

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've placed phone calls and sent emails. No response as of today. I have the local televisions web site pulled up now. Thinking of emailing them. You know the media looks for the heart warming stories or racial OMG stories that turn out to be a bunch of hyped up BS. I hate the frigging media now days, but it may be my only option.

OP
OP
Jmann69

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called and left a message. I'll check back with them tomorrow. Oh and the number is 303-761-0117 for anyone else needing it. Thanks Don!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great effort , hope you find the next of kin. Since its WWII, wonder if he ever lived in the park area? I'm guessing by the dates of the camp that it was found in Camp Logan.

Please keep us posted.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread