Looking for old plat maps

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I don't know, but I'm certain someone here will, so check back often.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Attachments

• 1867.gif
    1867.gif
    204.7 KB · Views: 387

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Mayo there's a nice pile of Sanborns on micro film at the library here in town. They helped me pick an outhouse or two out the mix in the past, among other things. Love the detail on those things. One of these free days when it's too cold and you got time to kill let me know, we'll go down there and I'll show you some stuff to copy.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo and Lowbatts, if you use the link that Mayo provided, use WELCOME for the first blank and SANBORN for the second blank. POOF!!! You are in! Ain't life great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try it and let me know. It is the first time I have been able to get on it, I am like a kid in a candy store!

Bob

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
RJGMC said:
Mayo and Lowbatts, if you use the link that Mayo provided, use WELCOME for the first blank and SANBORN for the second blank. POOF!!! You are in! Ain't life great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try it and let me know. It is the first time I have been able to get on it, I am like a kid in a candy store!

Bob

WELCOME and SANBORN didn't work for me, tried lowercase as well. :(

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Yep works for me! Unfortunately the actual treasure sites I'm interested in for this town are of town at the time of these maps and not depicted. But Ilove going over some of the residential lots and their layouts back then.

OP
OP
BADWOLF

BADWOLF

Oct 29, 2008
Mount Vernon, IL.
Thanks I've got nearly everything I need. Those sites helped alot. I'll keep you informed on what I find. Go'n for the GOLD man!javascript:void(0);

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Pick a year then go get a subscription to the Tribune online archives and bury yourself in it if you're in Chicagoland. I like to look for the annual church camps and their locations. I read of one near Thatcher woods, but farther east, it was hit by a tornado and tents, goodies and people were flung all about the place. While some of that area is now developed, much of it remains in a city park nearby.

Pay attention to the social pages where available, they present articles on people who were feted, by who and where and the size of the parties as well. Organizational get togethers, such as woodsmen, oddfellows, etc..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Thanks Ray, that site is definitely a keeper!

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, LowBatts! Yeah....if you find your township on there and go back to an 1800's era map, it's unbelievable how the old roads have changed. I know, where I live, north of I-70 about 4 miles, I've found a lot of old homesteads that you wouldn't even know were there or would have ever been there. The old trails or roads are gone now. My sons and I have found a lot of interesting artifacts and "coins" around some of these sites. We've found quite a few pre-1900 coins. My best one is an 1818 over 17 half dollar. Had the 'jitters' for three days after that one. lol With this site and some investigating, we've found what we think is the John 'Old Coon' Birch homestead. Of course it's privately owned property now and some of the timber is gone from the area. Our next step is to contact the owner and get permission to get out in the woods....really more like a jungle in that area. Good Luck in your hunting! I'm sure I'll need it, that's for sure! LOL Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread