Old woods hunt

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I met up with TreasureFiend and Mikewaz this morning at some "new" old woods that has seen some action at the turn of the century. I did some research on this site and it looked good. The weather was great, just above freezing with a few very light flurries, but nice diggable soil. However, this site could use a bit of Rootmaster, because the roots were absolutely out of control.

Anyway, it seemed the finds began rolling in soon for TF and Mike. I was experiencing problems with the M6 in certain parts of the woods where there were these light, pumice-like rocks everywhere. They would ring up perectly as coins at the right depths, but as soon as the hole was dug and the Sun Ray was in, I'd get a low foil tone. This happened more than I would have liked. Later, I lowered my sensitivity a little more and that seemed to alleviate the problem for the most part.

Eventually, I got an iffy signal that turned out to be a 1906 Barber dime. That's the only coin I found (I'm not counting the 1976 clad Washington, how embarrassing). Mike and TF scored some really nice old coins, TF a couple of firsts, but I'll let them tell their stories.

Lowbatts, sorry to hear of your condition. I'll do my best to help entertain you. I found a bird band today, the second of the year, thought that might interest you. I'll have to look it up to see what species of bird it was attached to.

Hope you all had a great weekend, here's hoping next weekend will be dry! Mike and Kermit, thanks for tagging along, it was a great time.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 237

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Works for me Joe! Sweet Silver! Found half a dozen bands over the years, all geese. Some in the river and a couple in FP's.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Lowbatts said:
Works for me Joe! Sweet Silver! Found half a dozen bands over the years, all geese. Some in the river and a couple in FP's.

Yeah...this one says, "AU Chicago 98 4496"...not sure what that means. The other one I have was found at the camp. It's lost somewhere in my box-o-crap, I'll get it later and let you in on what it says. But it is similar to the one I found today. It rang up as a zinc cent.

Update: OK, according to a leading bird band ID website, this one is a racing pigeon band. It is plastic-coated aluminum, and they need not be reported. The other one I found is similar to this one so they are both racing pigeon bands.

http://www.pigeon.org/lostbirdinfo.htm

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt bud!!! You definitely found an awesome site, we have to go back again soon!!! I will try to get more info and pix of the place so we aren't just wandering around aimlessly. Oh yea, big time congrats on snagging that ole barber!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is the coins the me and Joe found today:
3017901312_7d334d3d91_o.jpg

3017901316_234bcedda3_o.jpg

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olderactor said:
Joe
Not sure if you are the person Goio said lived in Old Irving Park. I'm new to this forum.

jim

I live by Irving and River in Schiller Park if you ever want to hunt.

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I felt real good when you dug that one Joe, after the rough start.
Sure enjoyed the hunt. It only took about 4 hours at home to warm
back up. ;D
Mike

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikewaz said:
back up. ;D
Mike

Yea, I thought it odd that I was finding coins and Joe wasn't. But he came through with the oldest coin!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Olderactor said:
Joe
Not sure if you are the person Goio said lived in Old Irving Park. I'm new to this forum.

jim

Olderactor,

I live near Old Irving Park. Welcome to the forum, maybe we can get a hunt going together one day. I never did group hunts until I met TreasureFiend, Bomber, Murph, and Goio, and now I only seldom hunt alone! Maybe we can swap some hotspot locales in the area...I know of quite a few parks with potential.

Joe

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
twistidd said:
Olderactor said:
Joe

jim

Olderactor,

I live near Old Irving Park. Welcome to the forum, maybe we can get a hunt going together one day. I never did group hunts until I met TreasureFiend, Bomber, Murph, and Goio, and now I only seldom hunt alone! Maybe we can swap some hotspot locales in the area...I know of quite a few parks with potential.

Joe

Hey Jim,

I hope you get silver with your Etrac before the season is over! :icon_pirat:

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Joe,
Congratulations on your Barber dime. Looks like your research paid off which is always fulfilling. I'm sure you will pull some more out of the location and looks like it got some oldies at it which I know based on your previous posts you were looking for to get some variety to the wheaties and silver war nickels you had been finding.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pocket Spill,

Thanks! Yeah, "fulfilling" is the perfect adjective to use. That's exactly how I felt. Five hours of hunting producing the one dime for me was great. Also great is the knowledge that virtually all coins there are dated pre-1930's.

Tman,

Thanks, however, this site is definitely on the radar of others...I've seen others at this site twice, thought that maybe they'd left us an appetizer, but instead they left us with a small meal. I've gotta say, we will be returning soon.

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hell yea!!! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
mikewaz said:
back up. ;D
Mike

Mike,

Did you ever get a "VDB" off of your 1909 wheat cent?? I'm dying to know!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Congrats on you Barber dime Joe! I would definitely hunt 5 hours for just one, I'm sure some wouldn't though.

Man, after seeing everyone's finds... I guess I'm motivated to take a picture of mine for today. Such a chore I know...

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that Barber Man

;D Love them Barbers ! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread