Winged Beauties

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Got out for a hunt today at "the spot". Within 9 minutes of leaving my car, 8 were probably spent getting my gear on and walking to "the spot", I found the 1939-d Merc. It was a tricky signal too... reading 12-34 on the E-Trac at first, turn a little and it's nulling (coins mode), turn some more and it's reading higher than 12-42. Just a very bad signal... dig it up, whammo! Merc at 6" and there was a rusted crown cap in the hole with it. Then maybe 10 minutes later I had found another SWEEET signal. This time all candy sugar 12-44 and it was 6". Out pops the 1943-p Merc.

030909.jpg

My Dad is making me also add that "the spot" is HIS SPOT, and that even though he seemed to enjoy taunting me while I was at work with news of 4 separate silver dime finds and a bucket full of wheaties, and even told me that I better get down there before they are all gone, now he is reclaiming "the spot" as his own and is requesting payment of said "new spot" that I must find and let him detect (probably first too). LOL! I love it.

Well now that I'm up to 7 silver for the year already, 6 of which are Mercs and 1 Rosie, I'm in the lead for coins and will stay clear away from "the spot" unless I should happen to fall to second place. After which, "the spot" becomes "our spot" again :evil:

Thanks Dad, you're the best. Really, we went for almost a year overlooking "the spot" and you found it fair and square. To that I owe you one. I owe you one for my first two silver day, and my second two silver day. Wings and beer at Buffalo Wild Wings when you get home!

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks Mike, It's starting to cool off a little, but from a small area in about a weeks time of several short hunts between my Dad and I, we've pulled 9 silver and about 25 wheaties from there. This is in a park that EVERYONE has been telling us is hunted out. It's never done until it's bulldozed, and even then finds will be poppin' up.

oz_il

Oct 6, 2008
Evergreen Park, IL
Sweet, if I only had a spot like that.

Someone claims one of the folks down the road from them lives on a property that was a race track back in the late 1800's.

I'll be checking old photos of the area, googling the history of the area brought up nada :'(

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great finds, Brett!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Sounds like wings & beer will make it even, but if he's still saying you owe him, let him use your wings to photo all of his Mercs with. Cool pic on top of a great post! :wink:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett, great Mercs! Love the background of your photo.

When you find some Seated silver at "his" spot, where are you planning to take him for dinner :D

Take care,
watercolor

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
watercolor said:
Brett, great Mercs! Love the background of your photo.

When you find some Seated silver at "his" spot, where are you planning to take him for dinner :D

Take care,
watercolor

Thanks Watercolor!

If I find Barbers I'll take him to Red Robin.

If I find Seated I'll take him to Outback Steakhouse.

If I find some gold coins, I'll be taking him to Sullivans in downtown Naperville IL.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Geez, I'm inviting Brett up here to hunt more often, especially when I'm hungry!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Great coins Brett. Look forward to seeing what else you guys find there when it warms up in a few weeks.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Pocket Spill said:
Great coins Brett. Look forward to seeing what else you guys find there when it warms up in a few weeks.

I can't wait that long. I would really like to post some found coins this weekend to T-Net.

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL - I thought you went completley off the deep end whith that title. somehow I thout you were talking about bats, I dunno don't ask me... ;D

Great finds!!!! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Hahaha. Yeah... good ones guys.

So here's the story.. albiet a short one. My son was napping and I couldn't get into the "treasure room" without potentially waking him. He sleeps adjacent to the "T-room". So I opened up one of my wife's magazines looking for a cool backdrop. Bam, a pair of little wing dishes. You're supposed to put them on your table and fill them up with candy or something.

I love finding Mercs, and I'll take as many of them as I can get, but I'm ready to start finding some more barbers :)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread